Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OtinTx posted a thread on the Zombie Max Ammo from Hornady. I thought I'd share the video they made on it. I think the video is cool but the ammo is silly personally.

·
Registered
228 Posts
silly is just an understatement, I'm going to throw the word stupid out there. Not even a good clip IMO, so many better ways that could of went.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought some 9mm for giggles. Never will shoot it, but once this craze dies off as quick as it came in, this stuff will disappear from the shelves.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
LOL :

·
Registered
18 Posts
To me, this is marketing genius. The Zombie craze is at an all time high and people will buy just about anything that has to do with zombies. I wouldn't be surprised if some folks out there that don't even have firearms have a box of this just because of the packaging and marketing behind it. By the way, this stuff is the same ammo as Hornady Critical Defense without the nickle plating on the case. The soft plug in the tip is also green instead of red.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How far would a prosecutor go in a self defence case involving this ammo? All of the marketing for Zombie Max says this should not be used on humans, zombies only.....Rational people understand this is just cheeky marketing, but we have all read about that lawyer that wants to make a name and really goes into the silly side..... Would you carry this ammo knowing that it is just Critical Defence with a green plug?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Prosecutors will do everything in their power to get a conviction. A lawful shoot is a lawful shoot, no matter what trigger weight you have, how many rounds you have on you, what kind of ammo, etc..

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Prosecutors will do everything in their power to get a conviction. A lawful shoot is a lawful shoot, no matter what trigger weight you have, how many rounds you have on you, what kind of ammo, etc..
Just want to stand up for prosecutors. Prosecutors take an oath to not only uphold the law but to seek justice rather than convictions. Any prosecutor worth anything has only one goal, and that is to obtain the truth and seek justice. As a prosecutor, if a shooting is justified, I don't lose sleep over not getting a conviction, and in fact, would likely never even present the case to the grand jury for charges.

Just like any profession or group of human beings, it is a minority who give the whole a bad rap. But from my experience, and as a prosecutor, I know MANY other prosecutors, the VAST MAJORITY of us truly seek justice, not convictions.

That being said, it honestly wouldn't even be a consideration of mine to bring up a shooter was using this type of ammo at trial (hopefully a truly justified shooting would never go to trial anyway).

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and in fact, would likely never even present the case to the grand jury for charges.
I was going at my statement from this point. Once a Prosecutor has decided to present the case, they believe they have enough evidence to convict. At that point, they will do what they can to get a conviction. I never meant to imply that they would falsify evidence or do anything underhanded.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I understand that. But many people don't understand that a prosecutor's sole duty is to seek justice, even after indictment. My job is not to "do what I can to get a conviction", ever, at any point in the process. And when using a firearm, the intent is always going to be death (it must be because it is a deadly weapon). So whether you're using zombie ammo, or critical defense, it is ultimately irrelevant to the issue at hand in the trial. So my point is that a prosecutor who is properly doing his job will not attempt to introduce such evidence at trial, even if he thinks the shooting was unjustified, because such irrelevant evidence would confuse the issues and risk an unjust result where the decision was not based on the relevant evidence at hand, but on what type of ammo was used. All of this is part of the prosecutor's duty to "seek justice" rather than convictions. That is why I pointed out that it would be a minority of prosecutor's who are overstepping the bounds of their duties who would actually seek to admit such evidence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How far would a prosecutor go in a self defence case involving this ammo? All of the marketing for Zombie Max says this should not be used on humans, zombies only.....Rational people understand this is just cheeky marketing, but we have all read about that lawyer that wants to make a name and really goes into the silly side..... Would you carry this ammo knowing that it is just Critical Defence with a green plug?
I see where you are coming from, but yes I would carry this ammo in my CC pistol.... I'd carry any ammo that was known as a good self defense ammo and Critical Defense seems to be a well made round that serves its purpose. Personally, I'm partial to Winchester Ranger T. Winchester doesn't even sell this ammo to the public. How would this work into a prosecutor's argument in a shooting? I can almost hear it now, "The defendant was using ammo that is so deadly that the company that produces it makes it available to Law Enforcement only."

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Winchester Ranger Ts are sold to the public and have been for some time now. Here is the first place I searched for that has it in stock.
HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
Yes, Ranger T's are available to the public through dealers that have received them from Law Enforcement surplus stocks. Winchester supplies this ammo only to Law Enforcement. They do no supply it to dealers or to public individuals.

Edit: I don't understand Winchester's reasoning behind their actions of only selling the Ranger T line to Law Enforcement, but it is true.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree that few give a bad name to many, but that being said, I have to agree that when convincing a jury of your "peers" some information can be skewed to sound more ominous than it really is. I would carry it simply because I have seen how well it performs.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, Ranger T's are available to the public through dealers that have received them from Law Enforcement surplus stocks. Winchester supplies this ammo only to Law Enforcement. They do no supply it to dealers or to public individuals.

Edit: I don't understand Winchester's reasoning behind their actions of only selling the Ranger T line to Law Enforcement, but it is true.
I'm not sure who they will distribute to versus who they wont but I buy this ammo, and carry it, from both online retailers as well as my local gun store. :)

And I like it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the zombie ammo. I have a box in every caliber it's available. I think it will be a collectors item in the future.

There are so many good personal defensive loads , its hard to go wrong. The critical duty 135 grain load looks good. Anyone try it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
what the civilian has against them is "excessive force" and an anti-jury will agree..
Excellent point. One of the reasons I carry the 115 gr 9mm Critical Defense load. I don't plan on shooting through cars, walks etc. I suspect if you hurt someone accidentally it would be serious trouble

1 - 20 of 20 Posts