1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After police shootings, gun limits are targeted .BY MARC CAPUTO
Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau
TALLAHASSEE --

Johnny Simms wasn't supposed to have a gun. Neither was Hydra Lacy.

Both men were felons. Each man murdered two police officers in separate cities, Miami and St. Petersburg.

The explosion of gun violence hasn't gone unnoticed in the state Capitol, where lawmakers in the pro-gun Florida Legislature say the tragedies underscore the need to loosen the regulation of guns -- rather than restrict them.

``What these cases show is that gun regulation doesn't keep guns away from criminals,'' Sen. Greg Evers said. ``It's time we get more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens so they can protect themselves. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.''

Evers, R-Baker, is sponsoring two controversial gun bills this legislative session. One would restrict physicians from asking patients about the presence of firearms in the home. The other bill would allow holders of concealed weapon permits to wear their guns in the open -- including on college campuses. About 780,000 Floridians have such permits.

A third bill would ensure that local governments in Florida can't pass gun-control laws.

APPROVED BY NRA
All three are being pushed by the National Rifle Association, one of the most powerful lobbies in the state capital. The Florida Medical Association is protesting the bill concerning doctors, saying it violates physicians' free-speech rights.

College police don't like the proposal allowing for firearms on campus, especially after a Florida State University student died in a recent accidental frat-house shooting involving an AK-47. And local governments oppose the bill limiting their say over firearms.

But many say the NRA-backed bills will likely pass anyway because gun control is a thing of the past in the Florida Legislature.

``I've tried to pass gun-control laws over the years and it just doesn't happen,'' said Sen. Gwen Margolis, D-Aventura. ``With the Internet today, you can buy anything online. There's really not much we can do.''

But Margolis said she'll try, anyway. She said she plans to file a bill that seeks to ban high-volume ammunition clips, such as the one used in the recent Tucson shooting rampage.

``I don't know if it'll even get a hearing,'' Margolis said.

Gun-rights advocates like Evers say they oppose regulating the ammunition clips because it wouldn't keep them out of the hands of criminals. Neither of the recent Florida police shootings appeared to have involved the clips.

TWIN TRAGEDIES
The latest bloody chapter in Florida's police shootings began in Liberty City last Thursday when Miami-Dade detectives Roger Castillo, 41, and Amanda Haworth, 44, searched for 22-year-old Johnny Simms, a career criminal wanted in an October murder. Simms shot and killed the two officers before he was killed by a third officer.

The murder weapon, a .40-caliber Glock handgun, was stolen from a local nightclub, police said.

IN ST. PETE

On Monday, as the fallen Miami-Dade officers were being honored in Miami, St. Petersburg officers Jeffrey A. Yaslowitz, 39, and Sgt. Thomas J. Baitinger, 48, were searching for Lacy, 39. Like Simms, he was a known violent offender who ambushed the officers, killing them both, and wounded a U.S. marshal. Lacy was later found dead at the scene.

Those officers in the line of fire say they wish felons didn't have guns, but they don't know how to keep them off the streets.

``It's easier for a criminal to buy a gun than a can of beer,'' said Miami-Dade Sgt. John Rivera, president of the Florida Police Benevolent Association.

`HARDENED CRIMINALS'

``We don't need more laws. We just need to deal with these hardened violent criminals,'' Rivera said. ``We have a very sick system. Not only did these officers pay with their lives, but citizens lose their lives every day because of it.''

Marc Caputo can be reached at [email protected]

·
Registered
275 Posts
I guess it takes numerous tragedies to wake certain folks the hell up. Haven't these opinions been being stated for years? Common sense may rule the day, hopefully in the near future.
It's weird, my drill won't drill holes for me without me pulling the trigger, just like my Glocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
As a Florida Resident, I Feel that the current laws that are in place are fine enough. Also, I Feel that the Current laws that are trying to be implemented such as the high mag cap ban are stupid and pointless. At, the root of every argument and opinion, there is this one and only fact. Criminals will always have guns. That will not change with the removal or addition of laws. I would like to see Florida become an open cary state but at the same time I don't believe there is a point to it. I also hope to see guns allowed on college campuses. Yes, i agree that guns should not be allowed on school campuses but going back to the root of all arguments, criminals will always have guns and since that is the case, other law abiding students should have the right to protect them and other students from harm. If there was any policy that should be enforced, it should be that law enforcement should have the right to ask you (under reasonable doubt) if you are carrying and to see your concealed license. If law enforcement were to do that more often then it would reduce the number of illegally carried weapons off the street. No law passed could do better than that.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I disagree with your last point. I don't want any LEO interaction unless I am doing something wrong. Period. If they have a reason to stop me or question me, then we can go from there but they should not have the right to randomly stop Law Abiding Citizens simply walking/driving down the street.

·
Registered
289 Posts
@the law i can see your point and how most people would probably agree with you as well. I would feel like i have less privacy and how it could start turning into a whos profiling who situation. However, when it comes to the best plan to get illegal carried guns off the street, its hard to find a solution. Also, i believe its just like being carded for alchohol. If youre legal then you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Alude - you get carded for alcohol when you are trying to buy alcohol at a bar/store etc.. If I am buying a gun, I'll be glad to show my credentials. I would not want to bit sitting at (insert dining location name) and have a person/Officer come up and demand my ID "in case" I MIGHT buy alcohol, regardless of whether I had any plans to purchase alcohol or not.

While I agree that firearms should be taken from those that shouldn't have them, I don't want to give up my rights in order to make it easier. Being newer to the forum, you probably don't know but I am VERY Pro Law Enforcement. That doesn't mean that I want LEOs or anyone else for that matter to infringe on the Rights given to me by the constitution. Privacy being one, protection for illegal search and seizure would be another just to name a few.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Subjecting someone to these Second Amendment infringements would be the same as requiring someone to submit their newspaper editorial response for governmental approval.... or requiring a defendant to disclose his reasons for invoking his 5th Amendment right not incriminate himself.

ANY suggestion of requiring ID upon demand screams Gestapo or KGB.

It is a slippery slope to go anywhere beyond the current requirements to licensing.

Don't tread on me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also.......

The "point" to open-carry just makes it better for those of us with concealed weapons licenses. With open-carry, if someone inadvertantly sees my weapon, I don't have to worry about notifying the police or be carrying contrary to the law. People won't be carrying like cowboys.

Someone can't really "be for" open carry without understanding the logical reasoning behind the concept.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So the more i think about it, the more i see your guy's point about being stopped for carrying. I would hate it. Unfortunately, where im at(florida) the open carry bill thats being worked on has been amended so that you must have your concealed license on or near the holster in plain site for leo's and gives leo's the ability to ask to see your license at any time for any reason. Stupid? Thinkin so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
And then to have to take a class for a 2stage retention. and have my ccl in plain view so everyone can see where i live. the pro carry people at the meeting didn't even get to speak. i was waiting for adolf hitler to show up. unbelievable!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.