Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Y'all!
(Yeah, I been here too long.)

Had a long first post all typed, and -was- logged in. Hit "Preview", and got dreaded dialog, "You are not logged in." :eek:

Now I don't have the time to re-type it all, but anyway glad to be here!!! ;)

New Glock 23 owner, still unfired. Details later!
Will be back soon...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That must have been a REALLY long post. LOL

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
So, are you rubbing off on Texas... or is Texas rubbing off on you?

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I know the feeling about being away from home. I was transplanted to eastern KY and the first time I had someone tell me "now listen son" I almost flipped. Come to find out it is just how they talk here. Who would have figured. Back home that is pretty much a challenge oh well, I am slowly but surely getting used to it myself. By the way welcome aboard

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Welcome to Glock.Pro. Spent a few years in Texas. Not a native but still have family in SA and Bandera. Enjoy your G23!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome all!

Texas. I *still* don't like it. The people are nice, though life is much slower in the south in general.They say it's because of the heat. I can buy that. It's TOO D**M HOT down here! It's not made for people, just tumbleweeds, bugs, and other bland critters. No color like the trees, flowers, & lakes of Michigan. No beautiful songbirds, except passing through migrating. No real dirt to grow in. Citrus, melons & cotton, is about it. They "attempt" to grow blueberries. Too hot! No flavor! The only thing I don't miss is shoveling snow. (Love driving in it though! If you're used to it, it's fun!)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
geezerkid's looong lost post!

OK, I did say I had a long post that just "disappeared." So this time, I'm pre-posting (?) by doing this in a text editor. HAH! (Try and stop me NOW MurphyForumGhost!)

So, I know I wanted to start out saying, *** "Thank You GlockPro Members!" ***
I've learned much from reading and taking advice from your combined experience! That's why, of ALL the choices out there, I've chosen THIS Forum, to be my trusted source for intelligent, (and even sometimes goofy-fun?) banter. I am truly looking forward to learning, and sharing as much as time permits! :D

(Um, you'll soon see, once I get started, I lose the "off" switch!)

I am a proud new owner of a Glock 23, recently purchased at a Houston Gun Show. -more on that later.

I have not owned a firearm since the late 70's. My most extensive experience was in the Army (73-76) with M-16's. Beautiful weapon, and while I was not in any combat situation (thankfully!), I fired thousands of rounds on many ranges. When I got out, the short "Colt AR-15 Carbine" model was just recently available for purchase. I bought one for $500. Lot of money then! My buds said, "Lets go to the range!" "No, the first shot would cost me $50., and it would no longer be NIB." (New In Box) "I know this weapon will fire if I need it to, I checked it, and I know it."
Any Vet can relate to that fact.

Owned a couple pistols pre-Army. Colt Cobra .38 revolver, and a S&W 9mm semi-auto, model 39. Both bought & sold in short time. Both great machines, wish I still had...

After the AR-15, I was at another gun show (mid-80's I think), just browsing. My eye caught a beautiful little all blued steel Beretta .25 Jetfire. Made in Brasil (late 60's - early 70's). The plastic grips were awful, so I made a set of nice Black Walnut grips for it. (I 'had' a nice wood shop when I was married.) An ex-Brother-in-law got that pistol.

So the fact that I haven't had any weapons in many years, doesn't mean I don't know them. Besides, Most of my (young & strong) career was being an industrial machine mechanic, with a high-pressure boiler license (to be Plant Engineer) in Detroit, where I grew up. Having to watch USA machinery, (some well over 100 years old, built to last forever), get packed up and shipped to China, as all of the support plants to the auto industry closed, was a horrid experience. Greed + Washington politicians = big dollars for few, and destruction of the middle class American worker. We will not recover from that. Who will build what we need for the next "big war"??? Um, by now you know, I often go off on tangents. Sorry! :(

Glock 23! Heh, From little research before hand, I went to purchase this pistol, sight unseen, other than the grip from an Officers holster? Houston Gun Show! First thing I bought was a 31 round magazine for $12.99. My buddy said, "Don't you think you should buy a pistol first?" "Yeah, whoever has the best price." Well, to my surprise, I was not getting any price break! All of the dealers were saying that, "Retail shops complained to Glock that we were killing their sales, so Glock set the minimum prices we have to follow, or we lose their business." Hmm. With TX tax, I ended up paying $607. for the box kit.

** If any member can verify that "show price thing", it would be appreciated! Though, it seems a bit off that they would all conspire to the same price. Being from Detroit, I still don't like it. Plus, I got a $25. parking ticket! No meters, nothing to indicate anything! (my first ticket for anything in over 10 years.) Grrr. Tangent again. Sorry! :eek:

Glock 23! Ammo. I had no money left to buy, and didn't know what I wanted anyway. Thanks to GlockPro, and every other site I could get info from, I decided on Winchester 180gr FMJ white box, for range training practice. Plus just got 3 boxes of Federal FMJ 180gr, from Gander Mountain for $11.99 ea. on Black Friday! For defense, I bought 2 to choose from; Winchester Bonded PDX1 180gr JHP, and Hornady XTP 180gr JHP. Gonna stick with 180gr, since it seems more available, and staying with one weight will be more consistent to get adjusted to.

(Is this long enough yet?)

I could go on about why I went into debt to buy this, but that's another post. I'M DONE FOR NOW (as the admins start considering another hard drive...)
FYI- this post IS longer than the original... :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Hrmm, well, again, welcome to the site. Glad to have you.

The GLOCK 23 goes for around $450.00 - $500.00 new pretty much anywhere. Not sure if you had to pay any transfer fees, or license/background checks etc.. but $607.00 seems quite high.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums!

The price for new Glocks differs widely depending on where you are... what kind you want... and the discounts you can qualify for...

Sounds like you got a nice Glock, that's all that counts!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Best price I could find in this area. Carters Country, Academy Sports, everyone else, all within a few bucks of each other. Haven't seen any that low online. If I had, it might have been worth the extra hassle of background check, transfer fee, and shipping. Then again, all that sounds close to the +$150. I ended up with... $557.00 was the set show price, and of the 3 dealers that had them in stock, I just picked the TX dealer. the 8.25% tax didn't help keep it down!

One dealer had the v4 model. His set price was $610. before tax, fees, etc.. I couldn't cover that. Had to hit the pawn shop to get this one! But I'm happy with it. v3 is proven. I've read about possible issues with v4, but didn't pay attention. I got enough to deal with...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Best price I could find in this area. Carters Country, Academy Sports, everyone else, all within a few bucks of each other. Haven't seen any that low online. If I had, it might have been worth the extra hassle of background check, transfer fee, and shipping. Then again, all that sounds close to the +$150. I ended up with... $557.00 was the set show price, and of the 3 dealers that had them in stock, I just picked the TX dealer. the 8.25% tax didn't help keep it down!

One dealer had the v4 model. His set price was $610. before tax, fees, etc.. I couldn't cover that. Had to hit the pawn shop to get this one! But I'm happy with it. v3 is proven. I've read about possible issues with v4, but didn't pay attention. I got enough to deal with...
sometimes, at Walmart, you can get 250 UMC for about $68

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:) Parting with $68. on a small disability pension, makes a big dent! I gotta pay off the Pawn shop fees that let me get this new tool!

Figured I had to though. South Houston burb, was really nice (crime free) for years. Now we have mass expansion with cheap row apartments springing up all over the area. Bingo for the bad guys! So much so, that our little area has been hit so much recently that the local PD had a special neighborhood meeting at the local library. (Mostly to tell peeps to lock their doors/ windows, etc.. Common sense stuff for city folk, but a lot of folks down here have never experienced it, and naturally, they're scared.

I'm annoyed. Damn profit makers (in cahoots/payola with local politics of course), put cash ahead concern for the overall property values which have to drop if this keeps up. Anyway, 2 of us disabled Vets live here sharing the bills. She and I "tolorate" each other. I'm Hoke, she's Ms. Daisy...
Being type 2 diabetic, she can cure her ills, but the basic food groups of grease, salt, & sugar don't seem to work to her plan. Duh. So not only is she WAY heavier than my big tall self, but she's graduated from cane, to rollator, and now a huge 8 foot long (with side rails) aluminum ramp to make it over the front door threshold. (!) All we need now is the neon sign that says; HEY BAD GUYS, HELPLESS CRIPPLE, HIT HERE!

Most I had was a pellet pistol for plinking. I wouldn't even consider that for defense. Glock 23? I feel quite safe now! My son questioned my wisdom of a pistol. "You should have gotten a 12 gauge shotgun!" Well, swinging a shotgun is not a practical thought for being in a small area. The Glock is much more versatile, and once I get the bucks built back up, I'll take the CCW, and get a carry license. Can't do that with a shotgun!

I gotta find cheese & crackers to go with this whine now...have a good one!

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Sounds like you have everything figured out...

Neighborhoods change through time... That's for sure...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.