Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to glaucoma in my right eye, I have become left eye dominant, but I'm right handed! I have learned to correct my shooting by leaning way over and finding my sight picture that way. Actually one day at the range is how I found out that I was using my left eye, I was doing it without even noticing, but my bride noticed and questioned me about it. Eye doctor confirmed the problem.
My question is anybody else have this problem and how did you deal with it? I was told just learn to shoot left handed, but come on old dogs like me don't learn new tricks very easily! :cool:
rydd2

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't have that problem... BUT I was watch HICKOK45 on youtube and he was saying he shoot left eye dominant, and I want to say he's right handed...

I would recommend an isosceles stance. It give you balance and the gun is centered on your body and arms, so it makes it easer to use either eye. You are squared off to the target.

I want to say Todd Jarrett uses that stance. He is a very well respected competition shooter.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I would say there is a significant difference in just being left eye dominant and something being wrong with your strong side eye preventing you from using it. I don't know that there is anything you can do in that case. What did your Dr. say about it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well he said the partial loss of sight that I have in my right eye is gone and it doesn't come back, so to keep the pressure down I use drops at night so it doesn't get any worse. It's heck getting old! The top half of my eye sight is gone in the right eye, so I'm guessing to compensate my left eye kinda took over the job. Now if I take my time and really try to focus, I can barely pick up my sight. In a hurry though I automatically lean my chin over on my arm find the sight right away. Also I shoot with both eyes open.
rydd2

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I really don't know what to say rydd2. I feel bad for you but I guess that is the way it will just have to be. If the sight is gone in your strong eye and you can't get it back it just...I don't know what to say. You will just have to practice with the left find what works and stick with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really don't know what to say rydd2. I feel bad for you but I guess that is the way it will just have to be. If the sight is gone in your strong eye and you can't get it back it just...I don't know what to say. You will just have to practice with the left find what works and stick with it.
Yeah sfguard, it is what it is... I have learned to deal with it, just as long nothing else goes wrong or falls off! I'm not complaining, I was just wondering if anybody else was crossed wired like that, but not just because of a medical condition, but maybe they were hardwired that way from the beginning. My son is like that, no problem with his young eyes just cross dominant, and he has learned to shoot more left handed, at least with rifles. Thanks for the comeback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.