Glock Pro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would you add an external safety?

13K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  Pistolero 
#1 ·
Just curious, do any of you wish Glocks had an external safety? Why or why not??

#2 ·
It's really not needed as the striker is never cocked except when the trigger is pulled, plus it has a firing pin safety in case it's dropped & also has a trigger bar safety shelf in the trigger housing that prevents the bar from going down unless the trigger is pulled..
There are some out there but wouldn't waste my time & you'll have to modify the frame to install it.

#38 · (Edited)
It's really not needed as the striker is never cocked except when the trigger is pulled, plus it has a firing pin safety in case it's dropped & also has a trigger bar safety shelf in the trigger housing that prevents the bar from going down unless the trigger is pulled ... There are some out there but wouldn't waste my time & you'll have to modify the frame to install it.
:rolleyes: You're kidding, right! Whatever you do DO NOT LISTEN to this advice. It is completely incorrect! Sounds like the author has been reading way too many Glock advertisements! :love:

Look, first of all, UNLESS THE TRIGGER IS PULLED, every Glock striker is under CONSTANT 75 (+) percent tension.

Second, the performance and reliability of the striker safety is largely dependent upon the integrity and performance of the TRIGGER SAFETY. (Some of you guys must remember the federal governments's HUD Glock safety tests, right! You know, the government safety tests that Glock pistols FAILED!)

Third, Glock pistols' so-called 'drop safety' is NO DROP SAFETY AT ALL; or, at least, NOT in the historical sense of the term. That shelf the wings of the trigger bar ride in is, in reality, an anti-binding mechanism. It's sole purpose is to prevent the trigger bar's 'sear kick-plate' from becoming lodged behind the striker lug when the pistol is dropped.

Rather than preventing a Glock from firing this so-called 'drop safety' actually allows a Glock pistol to CONTINUE TO FIRE after it has taken a hard fall.

THERE IS ONLY ONE PRINCIPAL SAFETY MECHANISM ON EVERY FACTORY-STANDARD GLOCK PISTOL. IT IS THE LEVER ON EVERY GLOCK'S TRIGGER-FACE. WITHOUT THAT LEVER BEING KEPT IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER, A GLOCK PISTOL IS COMPLETELY UNSAFE TO USE. PERIOD, NO IF'S, NO AND'S, NO BUT'S!

Wow, somebody really 'DRANK THE KOOL-AID' on this one! Internet gun forum palaver and misleading advertising information at its worst! 🙃

Reactions: Johwar
#3 ·
When my Glocks are not being carried in a MIC holster or in a kydex that they snap in, I use a safeTblock as any extra safety. It makes me feel better about not snagging the trigger on clothing or the edge of a holster. Probably not needed but they push out easy and give me peace of mind.

Other than that, no, no external safety needed.

Reactions: Johwar
#4 ·
I added the siderlock to my g26 and I love it. I know it's not necessary, however, this is a carry gun and it makes me feel just a little better. It's very simple to work and you don't have to use it all the time.

#9 ·
What everybody else said, Glocks have become popular with LE and civilians because they do not have any external safeties to fumble with! If you do want external safety there are much better off-the-shelf guns out there than a Glock retrofited with external safety.

#18 ·
Not on a Glock, but if I ever get a M&P(which I would love to have) I would get it with a thumb safety. IDK it just seems wrong for a Glock to have an external safety.

When I first got my Glock I was a little uncomfortable not having an external safety on it, but once I got use to it I realized that it's a really good system.

#32 ·
Being carried by many special forces, many LE organizations, and countless citizens, seems to be good testimony, for a choice of Glock.

Don't see too many LE officers packing a full sized 1911 anymore.

I wish you luck in your search for a carry weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.