Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife owns a Taurus .32 (pink of course) that she loves to shoot. However, when it comes to CCW she can not understand why I want to carry my GLOCK everywhere (When the new law passes). She asks me if I'm planning on going somewhere I'm gonna need it. My response was "YES! OUT IN PUBLIC!!" I told her you don't have to hang out in a bad part of town to be in danger of being a victim of a crime. I also shared with her the saying "I'd rather have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it". She still does not get it.

It is very frustrating trying to convince her why it's a good idea to carry. It's a good thing my hair is too short to pull out. lol

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I understand your frustration. My wife was never against me carrying but was slow to get on board when I started carrying 10 years ago. I suggest taking it slow and not forcing the issue or drawing any lines in the sand. Feed her a steady diet of news stories of crime happening to every day people in every day places. Eventually, she will realize that crime doesn't only happen in bad places.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I think the breaking point for my wife was....well there were two. When I got the job I have now, and a call that she heard on the police scanner. It was a home invasion, yes the home owners were home. Fortunately it only ended bad for the criminals. But I think that call listening to it all go down as it was happening changed her views also.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What momma don't know, don't hurt her!
You must not be married. lol.

I do not suggest hiding things like this from your spouse. That can't lead to anything good and will likely turn her off of guns forever ... and prob turn her off of you too. That's really not good.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I was going to suggest having her listen to a police scanner for your local area. MOST areas are covered and can be heard online at www.radioreference.com

Pick your state, and then pick your county or closest one. Let her listen to that for awhile and she'll have a much better understanding of what is actually going on around her. It's truly surprising.

Reactions: NWGlocker

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I've decided I'm not going to try to force her to understand it. I will let her continue to wonder why I think it's necessary and maybe someday she will accept it. I hope that I can convince her to at least carry her gun in her car but I won't hold my breath on that either. I think the main problem is that we live in a really small town and she feels safe here (which isn't bad) and we don't go into the city all that often.

She has listened to the police scanner and knows the dangers that are out there but like I said, we live in a small town and that means less danger (in her mind). I will carry my gun and hopefully someday she will realize it's not such a bad thing. The problem I think I'm going to run into right now is spending the money on a good CC holster. She may not like that too much.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My wife owns a Taurus .32 (pink of course) that she loves to shoot...
not that this helps your original question, but I can imagine a lot of husbands (me included) who wished their wives also loved to shoot.

i love this forum... shooting info and marriage counseling all wrapped together ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
It will probably make you more paranoid. Just warning ya

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
I was going to suggest having her listen to a police scanner for your local area. MOST areas are covered and can be heard online at www.radioreference.com

Pick your state, and then pick your county or closest one. Let her listen to that for awhile and she'll have a much better understanding of what is actually going on around her. It's truly surprising.
Interesting police scanner link...

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Drive to the worst section of town and offer to let her walk back home.

Have her read the monthly crime report, with your highlights.

Save articles from your area and go through them with her.

Mine won't do any of that, so I just told her she's on her own. Not my problem if I'm 20 miles away. She's had the opportunity to train and never took it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think women take a long time to adjust to guns. When I met my wife she was completely against guns. Five years later when we got married I got her used to the idea of having a gun around, we still didn't get one but she seemed accepting of the idea, as long as all safety precautions were followed. It did take a couple trips to the range with me shooting, she just watched, for her to get more comfortable and realize stupid people with guns are dangerous and guns themselves are not. A few weeks ago I got my concealed carry permit, for fun, no intention of buying a gun at the time. Then a couple weeks back we got threatened on the highway to the point we were both scared. We both agreed it was time to buy a gun. I got my G19. A few days went past and all was normal until we went to make a trip down the same highway and I decided to carry. When I got in my wife's car and told her I was she was very unhappy and made me drop it off in the house. I was thinking what others posted here. It is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. She is slowly coming around the idea of my carrying. She does want to go to the range now to learn how to safely handle and shoot. These are huge steps with my wife and I know if I want a happy wife and marriage I have to take her feelings into consideration and treat her concerns with respect. Seven years of this respect has gotten me a lot further then when I try to push something on her quickly. A creepy guy threatening to find and kill us helped too, but that has happened more to us over the years then I think is normal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Net tech i would suggest that you start carrying all the time around the house. You dont have to point it out to her but she will figure out, they are not stupid. Get her use to seeing you with a firearm and it being on you. Chances are she will get use to it. Although she might not admit it right away she will probably start feeling even safer knowing that you do have it on you. DO NOT push the issue. I agree with everyone on that. Its not you with a firearm thats the issue its more of her not being use to a gun around all the time. She probably thinks the firearm is more dangerous to her than the bad guys. Let her get use to it and realize you yourself arent dangerous with the gun. Goodluck man1

·
Registered
204 Posts
One word " Luby's"! That changed a lot people way of thinking here in Texas. I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful wife that understands. Besides she was carrying before I was..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Im also one of those guys with a woman who doesnt like the idea of guns or me having one. Im not married but ive been with my girlfriend for a lil more than four years. I understand her stance on guns because a family member that she was very close with commited suicide. Shes very touchy on the idea of guns so i dont try to force anything on her(even though i have strong views on them). We have been together long enough that she knows when it comes to certain things like me carrying, im not going to switch. Shes become accepting of it but doesnt want to see it or see it out around the house. I hope that she will slowly become more accepting and get into them but i doubt it and if not then its okay for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bwhahaha! Soooooo I just "happened" upon this thread today (thanks to the new post by Alude) - and I'm NetTech's wife.

I don't care, or mind, that he wants to carry his gun on him all the time and I'm not even against him carrying it. At the time we had this discussion it was an innocent question, I wanted to hear his logic (I'm a very LOGICAL and ANYALYTICAL person). I'm not scared of guns at all (well I have a healthy respect for them let's put it that way), but being around them does not scare me and I love to shoot my gun (which has now been traded in for a Glock 19 that I haven't been able to shoot yet!!!!!). I don't feel unsafe in public, and I don't make a habit of going into places where I feel uncomfortable, but if Shawn wants to carry his huge honkin G23C on his hip the whole time I don't care. It's his choice - oh and I did let him buy that "expensive" holster he desperately had to have! LOL

Hell - I'm going to get my CCW just so I have it in case I ever decide to carry my gun around with me. Most of the time I'm at work or at my house, I'm not carrying it to work for sure and not going to carry it under my jammies around the house either, but there may be times I'll take it with me if I'm going somewhere, I just don't plan on carrying it everywhere. If Shawn wants to - it's all good!

I was a police dispatcher for two separate police departments in my area. I know the world is unsafe and bad things happen to good people in safe places. The town we live in is very small and "nothing ever happens" but just like in every small town it only takes one tragedy to make everyone feel unsafe. Like I said, I'm a logical and analytical person so when Shawn and I were discussing his carrying his gun everywhere I just wanted to hear his logical explanation. I never told him he COULDN'T carry or that I wouldn't go anywhere with him if he did carry.

One of his best friends went shooting with us the other day - he had never shot a gun, but he thoroughly enjoyed it, his wife? Not so much....she almost freaked out about it, although she did shoot, which surprised us all. Now his friend desperately wants to get a gun but she refuses to let him. I like having my gun in the house and accessible in case I need it (I hope I never do!) and sure, having it public could become advantageous at some point in my life.

So carry away baby!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drive to the worst section of town and offer to let her walk back home.

[/B]
Hahahaha! He knows better than to threaten this...he might get shot by ME!! (=

1 - 20 of 26 Posts