Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even before Japan's earthquake, I had a catalog open to the meals ready to eat section, and it's been sitting in my desk for the last month until now.

My wife's convinced that we should stock up since we live along this "ring of fire".

Who has MRE's and can anyone recommend a brand?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've had 2 week's worth of MREs stored until just recently. The use-by date came and went. I got these after Hurricane Wilma made a direct hit to my neighborhood. Now, I spend hurricane season in Ohio so there's not much of a need anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I don't have any MREs but I do have a shelving unit in my garage with my emergency food and water supplies. MREs have been on my to do list.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
MRES are very expensive. I stock the basics(beans,rice, wheat,flour and so on) canned meats and some twenkies as well. Beans and rice are cheap and a pound of each can feed 4 people a day. last I looked MREs were 12bucks a meal and when I was in the army I ate them and did not care for them (yech)

·
Registered
322 Posts
The factory that makes the "new" MRE's is in Indiana (I think they are the biggest still). They aren't bad...if there is NOTHING else. Just always remember that after bout every two or three you take in...drink that nasty shake that comes with! Helps move the rest on through if you know what I mean...LOL!
http://www.mreinfo.com/links/where-to-buy---mres/

·
Registered
204 Posts
MRES are very expensive. I stock the basics(beans,rice, wheat,flour and so on) canned meats and some twenkies as well. Beans and rice are cheap and a pound of each can feed 4 people a day. last I looked MREs were 12bucks a meal and when I was in the army I ate them and did not care for them (yech)
Canned meats?? I bet ya got spam, potted meat, vienna sausages. Meat content is questionable, but filling and like twinkies hardly ever go bad! And yes I have some put back myself...except for the twinkies...gotta get some of those. Have a few mre's stashed away, but the price has kept me from getting more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I picked up a pouch of prepared food at walamart a few weeks ago, It's meat, beans and rice, with seasoning for making your own burrito's. Everything is included in a vacuum pack pouch. I havn't tried it out yet, and don't know what the shelf life is. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than MRE's though. I figure if I don't have a tortilla shell I can just eat it right of of the bag. If they have a decent shelf life and are edible I may buy some more. I can't remember the brand at the moment.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I love the quote from "The Patriots"

"MRE:Thats three lies for the price of one"
LOL. I always heard that "puking" was Mother Nature's defense against MRE's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.