Glock Pro Forums banner

While shooting my G19 end up with injured upper right thumb...Why..???

16K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  __jb 
#1 ·
I go to the range and usually shoot a 100 to 200 rounds.
After I'm done my right shooting hand upper thumb either hurts or is injured...sometimes a little bloody even.
The slide is not hitting my hand so thats not it.
I've have and fired a 38 spl revolver for 40 yrs but my glock is new to me, went to range the about 8 times so far.
I've heard of the limp wrist issue...that might be it but not sure.
Any suggestions or ideas.
Thanks

#4 ·
If it's rubbing hard enough to draw blood, you'd think you'd notice it... i.e., it would hurt...

Maybe you are dragging your thumb across the Magazine Catch when you're shooting...

There's an indentation in the grip for your thumb... Do you put your thumb in that indentation when you shoot? If not, you might want to try it...

I'd try to rig up a small video camera to see what's going on... Maybe tape it up on the wall of the shooting lane or stick it on a pole if you're shooting outside...

#5 ·
OK thanks for the info.
This injury is at the second joint at the top of the thumb, looks as if the slide is hitting my hand but it's not.
I've firmed up my grip while shooting and this problem is getting better.
I'm no stranger to hand guns but this is my first semi-auto hand gun.
Thanks again
Tony

#6 ·
If it looks like the slide is hitting your thumb, it probably is. What makes you think it isn't? I know from my experience you often won't even notice the slide bite until after you are done shooting. When I first got my gen4 gun, I tested out all the backstraps. My hands were too big for the bigger ones and it resulted in the slide biting me right where you said. My thumb was bleeding but I didn't even notice until I put a couple mags through it. If you have a gen4, try a smaller backstrap (or none). If not, adjust your grip. Unless you are REALLY limp wristing and the frame itself is beating you up (which seems unlikely), it would have to be the slide.

#7 ·
Yep. Most revolver shooters cross their thumb over the backstrap. This is a big No No when shooting a semi-auto. Not saying you are doing this but it's the exact injury location for someone that does.

#10 ·
I can't tell from your description exactly where the injury is. it is possible that your thumb is resting on the slide release/lock lever and the transmitted shock is causing a bruise/ abrasion. Show your doctor (ask if you can bring your unloaded gun to his office to show him where the injury is in relation to how you grip the gun). alternatively, get some pictures of your grip and the injury and post them here. We just cannot tell what is going on without seeing it - either video, photo or both would help a whole lot.

#11 ·
Post up a picture of how you grip the gun. IE picture of the gun in your hand as if your about to shoot it.

#19 ·
Welcome as well to Glock.pro. From your earlier statements you indicated a less than tight grip. What you describe I have seen with my students as well and it isn't the slide. The recoil is causing the "beaver tail" to strike the bone in that joint and rub as well. Tightening your grip will have a marked effect on relieving this. I also agree with the use of a glove as well but for a different reason. I usually have my students get a white golf and fire a box of shells. Study the glove before you remove it and it will show you exactly what is happening with your grip and if anything is rubbing. Good luck and keep us informed.

#20 ·
This thread is almost a year old. Our new member, RogerH brought up this old thread when he replied to it.

Maybe someone else will read this newly revised thread and learn something! :)

#21 ·
Thanks for the glove tip, might help. I really think I'm gripping the gun loosely.
So I'v been tightening my grip and things are better.
I have mostly fired a 38 special revolver before "Military and Police" 4" barrel, heavier gun, not much recoil so guess I'm not used to the recoil of the glock.
Thanks again
Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.