Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you come to enjoy shooting, owning, and/or carrying firearms.

Mine started as a child. I grew up and live in central NC and always had the luxury and right to hunt and shoot even as a kid. I can't remember how young I was when I got my first BB gun, but I was very young. I would guess 6 or 7 years old. I grew up in a neighborhood completely surrounded by woods, and would spend many hours in them shooting at birds and pine cones. My dad would take me Dove and squirrel hunting as early as I was able to keep up with him. When I was 9 he bought me a Savage .22 single shot bolt action for Christmas. We spent many hours running through the woods plinking tree rats. I have some fond memories spending time with Dad shooting. We would go to my Grandfather's farm and hunt Dove in the soy bean fields in the fall. He had an old rusty 12 gauge pump that we would use. On Thanksgiving Day we went to a family reunion where about a 100 family members would gather and the men would hunt and sometimes we would hold our own Turkey Shoot. One year I broke out that old rusty shotgun and my Uncles gave me a hard time how bad that gun looked. My Dad left it in a vinyl shotgun bag too long and in a house with no A/C it rusted. I smoked my Uncles that year and won two turkeys. They didn't have too much to say about that gun after that. My mother was a Paramedic and won a Winchester 12ga in a raffle at the squad, which she to me for Christmas when I was 15. Since then I have always enjoyed hunting, even though I don't get a change to go with the old man anymore due to his heart condition. I didn't get involved in pistols until I got separated from my wife and wanted a hobby or something to fill the void of not having my family 24/7. I spend a lot of my free time now shooting and reloading. I have to thank my father for teaching me respect for firearms and the love of shooting. I am blessed to grow up in a country and area that allows such a freedom to do something that is so much fun.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My dad was an NRA instructor when I was very young, but as his work schedule became more time consuming our time became less. Hunted with friends as a teen in the high deserts. Then into the Coast Guard. Became a Special Agent with CG Intelligence (I know, an oxymoron), Miami - the 80's, then SWAT, Special Boat Ops, Tactical LE Teams. Left the Guard got into Exec. Prot., Trainer for State Dept in the old Anti-Terrorism Assistance Program. Met some of the original high speed low drag types and learned tons and tons. Actually laid off for about 15 years during my 2nd marriage. About 3 years ago when that ended I remembered how much I loved it. So now I teach and consult.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Awww man. You guys have a good history with firearms. Mine is not so elegant. I am still young so I guess I still have a ways to go and much to learn. my story is very different, probably because of where I live and grew up. Not sure if you know much about jacksonville, Fl. but it's a huge city from what people tell me (I don't think so). I was born here and grew up at the beaches so I've lived the city life and didn't grow up around rural areas and hunting where firearms are more accepted. Instead I grew up in and around some pretty rough neighborhoods. I've never noticed it but supposedly we have some of the highest crime rates compared to most cities. Luckily, I was fortunate to have wise, hard working, and caring parents to raise me. I've always been interested in firearms ever since I was little. I had my fair share of bb guns as a kid and shot all kinds of hand guns and rifles. I have a few family members that love hunting so I've been with them a few times and while I'm not a huge hunter, I do enjoy it. I also, have several family members/close friends in law enforcement that are always educating me from time to time. I didn't purchase my first firearm/handgun or get my ccw until January of this year which was a birthday present to myself (a GLOCK!) As stated before, I have great parents that taught me the dangers of firearms and family/friends that taught me the importance of gun safety and proper handling as well as current laws/implications of firearm use so I'm very thankful for that. Like I said though, I am still young and have a lot to experience and learn which is one reason why I joined this forum, so I would like to thank everyone of you in advance for letting me learn and grow from your experiences.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am about to give you the best piece of advice you will ever get. Life is built a single day at a time, you're young, I'm 55 next month. So my advice is...............................................................................On your mark, get set, GO!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am about to give you the best piece of advice you will ever get. Life is built a single day at a time, you're young, I'm 55 next month. So my advice is...............................................................................On your mark, get set, GO!
Haha, thanks. At least I'm old enough to understand and accept that piece of advice.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A wise man just spoke. Razor, you are right. Life can change in an instant. You can't change the past, but you can make the future. Live today like there is no tomorrow. Today is call the "present" because each day is a gift.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My dad was a LEO and hunted nearly every day of the year. He also was heavily into competitive shooting. So I guess you could say I was born into shooting. I had my first shotgun at age 8 and have been hunting/shooting as long as I can remember.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I've been shooting for over 30 years, starting around the age of 5. Found my love for firearms with my GrandFather's Ruger MKII 22. pistol. I shot anything and everything I could get my hands on. I applied for my GFL ( called that at the time) the day I turned 21. I've carried for most of my life although I did go through a stage of spending too much time working/hanging out in bars and clubs. I did not carry firearms with me at that time. Safety first.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been shooting since age 10 with a .22 rifle; I killed that can. When I turned 13 or so I started hunting with my grandpa. My good neighbor gave me his Remington 30-06 pump action rifle. I've been hunting with that rifle up to this day. A few years ago my grandpa's motorcycle group started hosting an annual "Gun Run." Its a BYOG (bring your own gun) event where everyone pretty much shoots everyone else's guns. Its great fun and family oriented. This is probably one of the main reasons I decided to buy a pistol. About 3 months ago on my 21st birthday I bought my first handgun, a Glock 19 and by the end of this week I should have my CCW.

I love shooting and have a very competitive nature. I would like to start getting into competition shooting this coming spring.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well you see I had terrible grades in school and was less than a stellar student. Once I graduated High School, going to college was the farthest from my mind. The next day I walked into the Marine Corp recruiting office and told the recruiter, "Hello Sir, I want to be a Marine". The recruiter looked at me and asked, "Okay, what do you want to do?" Without hesitation, I said, "Infantry". Thus began my almost 12 years of military service followed by a 12 year law enforcement career (and still going). I wasn't raised around firearms as a kid, but once I was handed that first M16A2 in boot camp I became a student of firearms, their function and application. Even now many years later, I continue to learn and look forward to every lesson.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wow!!! Some great stories guys. Mine isnt so extravagant. I did a little hunting as a kid. Not much though. Just rabit hunting with my single shot new england firearms 410 and I shot birds all the time with my bb gun. That got me in trouble a lot. When I was in high school I had found out that you could have a CPL at the age of 21. so from highschool on I was reading about them all the time until the great day of my 21st birthday. I new I had the right to carry so I wanted to do it. And the story never ends. Im 23 now, living in my own house and my dad still thinks im crazy, weird, waisting my money on my 2nd ammendment right. You should have seen his face when I told him im getting an ankle holster so I can carry 2 glocks :) HEHEHE

·
Registered
67 Posts
grew up on a farm in sw ohio rember my dad and uncles coming back from the feilds with dinner started shooting around 5 years old my dad found a old dasiy red rider in a barn and gave it to me that started a 50 year love afair bought my first pistol a 3 screw ruger 357 when i turned 21 wish i still had that one

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well, I'm a son of a gun!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Letter to my buddy that got us started in shooting...

Dear Mike,

As you know, Pocahontas and I are well and truly into shooting at this point. We went to the course you recommended and "Mac" gave us a really good grounding in self defense shooting. Our CCW's arrived this summer. I'm getting Pocahontas a .22 for her birthday. She doesn't like the recoil and muzzle blast from my Glocks.

Well, I think we should find a new shooting range – among other things. I took my Advantage Arms .22 cal. Conversion kit to the range yesterday and tried shooting .22’s with my Glock. It didn’t work and most rounds wouldn’t fire. I asked the guy who is the gunsmith to take a look at it. (Can you think of a word that starts with “a” and ends with “hole?”) He was less than helpful. I would have been more than happy to pay him for his time but his attitude was that, "if you didn't buy it from me, go to ****". I took the kit over to Pat’s Pawn and gun shop and the smith took a look at it, tried a few things and diagnosed it as a firing pin problem and tried NOT to charge me – so I felt bad and bought Pocahontas a set of electronic ear muffs. The kit is going back to the factory today for a warranty service.

Now, my other problem which is also your fault:
My clothes are too damned tight. Even my stretch shorts, size 34, that I have worn for years with no problem now squeeze my guts when I have my CrossBreed Super Tuck slipped inside the waist band. And, carrying 2 lbs of gun on my belt makes my pants fall down around my knees unless I cinch the belt so tight that even a fart can’t get out. You have ruined my wardrobe by getting me started on this hobby. I’m thinking of looking for a .32 cal pistol like a Walther PPK or something like an LCP as my EDC. Don't say anything to Pocahontas; she doesn't understand why anyone would want more than one gun.

My belts now come in several sizes: Too short or too long; too narrow or too wide. Who knew that 1.5” belt loops were so hard to find. Now I have to buy not only a new belt but new pants. And, a few new shirts that hang down loose around my hips. I’m sending you my bill from LL Bean and Land’s End. My other friends have noticed my new dress style and are making humorous comments about it but at least they haven’t figured out that I’m packing heat yet.

Then there’s the cost of ammunition! Do you know what twenty 9mm JHP’s cost! I get funny looks when I go into Wal-Mart and buy 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags, 150 rounds of 9mm fmj, 20 rounds of jhp, and 550 rounds of Remington Gold Bullet .22 LR, a hundred rounds of 45 ACP, and 100 rounds of .380. They must think I’m some kind of nut or backwoods survivalist – carrying all that lead to the car is pretty good exercise though…

The weather down here in Florida is quite nice with daytime highs in the upper 80’s and night down to the low 70’s or upper 60’s. Humidity is not too high and there has been a good breeze. It is a little difficlut to dress in the long flowing styles I can use for concealed carry - Even a vest can get pretty hot. I notice that my golf swing is off a bit. It probably has to do with the brick I am carrying on my right hip - inhibits my turn somewhat. I tried balancing things off by putting a few filled magazines in my left pocket. Pocahontas gave me a hug this morning and wondered if that swelling meant I was happy to see her. I couldn't tell her it was just ammo...

Looking forward to seeing you down here soon…

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
As for me I honestly don't know. I can't put one thing in particular out there. I have just always had a passion for guns and shooting. For as long as I can remember. I still remember as a kid at 4 years old shooting and hunting with my Grandpa. It was my favorite thing to do.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Got interested when junior high, shooting .22 then med school purchased my first handgun, gen 2 glock 22 (1995). No shooting for years until last fall, son got interested and i restarted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts