Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my gun was new it was of course tight, and didn't have anything rattle around when you'd shake it, but a few hundred round it has something that rattles aroud as if something were loose when you shake it.

From my understanding it's pretty normal for a Glock, and not something to be concerned with, but I was just wondering what it was that cause that noise. Does anyone know?

If a round is chambered the noise goes almost completely away, but you can still hear it a little bit

Thanks,

Jesse

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's the firing pin/striker moving around in the channel liner..
It will only do this if the pistol is dry fired & the trigger is at the rear, once the striker is caught onto the end of the trigger bar it will not rattle, when you rack the slide..
100% Normal..
Some make more noise than others as the channel liner wears..

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
If it doesn't rattle, you have a problem...

Time to clean out the firing pin channel...
+1 on what _jb said.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks! What should I use to clean the firing pin channel with? A Q-tip maybe?

I actually had the firing pin out the gun a few weeks back when I did my 25 cent trigger job.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Okay thanks! What should I use to clean the firing pin channel with? A Q-tip maybe?

I actually had the firing pin out the gun a few weeks back when I did my 25 cent trigger job.
Q-tip with alcohol works great.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I dont think there is anything wrong with a film of oil in the fireing pink channel. I always oil it and then wipe out all of it with a cotton shotgun swabbing rod. Just leaves a very smaller amount of shine in their. I dont know maby im totaly wrong but iv got over 1000 rounds through a 27 and no problems, missfires, stovepipes, jams of any kind what so ever.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I dont think there is anything wrong with a film of oil in the fireing pink channel. I always oil it and then wipe out all of it with a cotton shotgun swabbing rod. Just leaves a very smaller amount of shine in their. I dont know maby im totaly wrong but iv got over 1000 rounds through a 27 and no problems, missfires, stovepipes, jams of any kind what so ever.
The theory is oil attracts dirt and debris and holds it. This will eventually gunk up the channel and prevent the firing pin from functioning properly. 1k is likely not nearly enough rounds to see this become an issue. Of course, how long it might take (in time or # rounds) is all a function of how dirty your ammo is and the operating environment.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There's no weapon that I've ever seen that uses any type of lube in the firing pin area because even a small amount will attract rubbish = carbon, brass shavings, etc & over time collect enough to give problems...
I suggest that cleaning it with alcohol & a Q-Tip is the best method..
Also note that the channel liner is polymer & anything like acetone might start to melt it..
The spring cups rub against the inside of the liner as well..

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts
Q-tip with alcohol works great.
+1 on what Rowdie said...

I usually use the higher grade alcohol... over 90%... it has less water and usually only costs about 50 cents more at a Walgreens or other drug store...

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts
You're the first person I've ever heard to recommend putting any oil in the firing pin channel.

While it seems to have worked to you... and you may be diligent about wiping off the oil... I wouldn't generally recommend it to others.

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts
Good TIP on using the higher grade 90+% alcohol as the less water the better IMO..

Clean & Dry is the way to go..

And NO the hole in the slide isn't for lubrication, It's there for garbage to fall out of..
Haha...

Yea... and when garbage starts falling out of that hole, it's time to clean out that puppy!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I put oil in the firing pin channel.
Good luck my friend. Perhaps you should read page 38 of the instruction manual that came with your Glock.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Good luck my friend. Perhaps you should read page 38 of the instruction manual that came with your Glock.
thank you friend, perhaps I do what I want too with my pistol. BTW, I don't believe everything I read or hear. I don't just dump oil in the FPC, if you looked at it you probably would not believe there was oil on it.

After range time I do more then a field strip to clean it. Thanks for posting the page# in the instruction manual, I'm sure it will come in handy for other members.
I actually use fully syn transmission fluid instead of oil.

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts
thank you friend, perhaps I do what I want too with my pistol. BTW, I don't believe everything I read or hear. I don't just dump oil in the FPC, if you looked at it you probably would not believe there was oil on it.

After range time I do more then a field strip to clean it. Thanks for posting the page# in the instruction manual, I'm sure it will come in handy for other members.
I actually use fully syn transmission fluid instead of oil.
As I said before... it might work for a specific individual, but it isn't something that I would want to suggest or promote on a public Glock forum.

I'm surprised that a Certified Glock Armorer would recommend two things that are specifically not approved by Glock.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts