Glock Pro Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought a couple of survival books. Guess I'm really just getting started. I plan to stock up on water from Sam's and also get a rubber/plastic trashcan on wheels to collect rain water. Need to get a fishing pole or two since I'm a couple of miles from a lake. I've been trying to think of what kind of food to stock that won't need to be rehydrated. Also bought a magnesium firestarter in case I run out of matches.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Added a sling-shot to my arsenal!

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is another facet to our preparation that ya'll might want to consider. So far we've talked about what supplies we'd stockpile but we haven't discussed what abilities or training we'd want to obtain. I'm thinking beyond how to handle weapons (it is a GLOCK forum, anyway...) and aiming more towards abilities that would sustain you for a while and, most importantly, wouldn't require the typical infrastructure we have in place to function. Got anything to add?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
GW812 - The key thing that I need to work on is simply being in good shape. Being in OK shape isn't going to cut it if things go really south. All the food and ammo/guns etc aren't going to do much good when you can't drag that animal you shot out of the woods back to your safety shelter, etc.. Fighting off attackers isn't going to go well when you get winded simply walking up the stairs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought an ALICE pack that I will keep in my truck and have started stocking it with stuff that I would need it I had to hike home from a long way off and camp overnight. Could be an EMP or gas shortage...

I've also started riding an exercise bike for a few miles a day.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I have officially started working out again. Been doing it for a little over a week now and eating much healthier. I had to wait (used as an excuse) the fact I needed a kidney transplant. Now that I got one, and all the subsequent surgeries are hopefully over, I jog/walk 3 - 6 miles a day depending on if I get to do it twice a day or just once. I lift light weights building back some of the muscle mass I lost while on dialysis and I really, REALLY eat much healthier.

While having a good collection of gear and supplies in case of a disaster is important, if you cant walk more than 50 feet without gasping for air, it's not going to do you much good! Get in Shape!

·
Administrator
6,638 Posts
if you cant walk more than 50 feet without gasping for air,
The stairs is what is killin me softly ............

Glad to hear you following up with the right things for recuperation.

Just remember, TheLaw, when the Zombie 'Poc-o-litz comes we are going to need every able bodied Glock owner and then some.

Keep with the program my friend.

Oh, and bought a few extra cans of good chile with beans at the store this weekend ....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have officially started working out again. Been doing it for a little over a week now and eating much healthier. I had to wait (used as an excuse) the fact I needed a kidney transplant. Now that I got one, and all the subsequent surgeries are hopefully over, I jog/walk 3 - 6 miles a day depending on if I get to do it twice a day or just once. I lift light weights building back some of the muscle mass I lost while on dialysis and I really, REALLY eat much healthier.

While having a good collection of gear and supplies in case of a disaster is important, if you cant walk more than 50 feet without gasping for air, it's not going to do you much good! Get in Shape!
Sounds like you have a plan! Stay with it, and keep your goal in sight. In two years I stopped smoking ( 5 years ago ), and lost 52 pounds
and have maintained that since then. I did this more for my family than myself. I'm glad things are working out for you, man. Stay with it!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Yeah, I did 5 miles tonight. I had to leave very early this morning to go do my weekly DR visit so I decided to double up tonight to make up for it. I'll be back on my regular schedule tomorrow of 3 in the AM, 3 in the PM.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Good job. I have had the same thoughts. I'm partially disabled due to an unfortunate accident and have been taking metformin for type II diabetes. Last week I made the decision to improve my conditioning (walking and light weights) in addition to dieting to get off the meds and get my blood glucose levels down.

I'll let you know how it goes. in a few weeks.

·
Administrator
6,638 Posts
I wish you the most of luck my friend.

Ot

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I put away a lot of canned food and just add water items. Now that I have more storage, I plan on adding to my prepping stockpile. My "compound" is more secure too. Peremiter sensors and motion detectors. I am on a well and I installed a hand pump for nonpower situations. I am in much better shape now that my renovations are done. I can live completely off the grid if needed. Solar hot water. Wood heat, and cooking fuel, battery backup/ with 120 inverter capable of 500 watt output for 6 hours.

·
Registered
551 Posts
what happens when what ever disaster destroys your house. and your stock pile is gone? What do you keep in your vehicle? how is it tailored to the environment you live in? how many people do you travel with? Medication concerns? Food procurement? water procurement? Shelters? Fire? basic medical knowledge? Communication?

Knowledge of how to do all the above?

just some things to think about. All to often people have a medkit... and have never even taken a basic first aid class. I know a lot of guys that talk about BUGin out during a EOTWAWKI scenario that have never tested their gear.

Or have never built a shelter, trapped food ect

jsut some thoughts to ponder...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.