Glock Pro Forums banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts
Good answer...

Unfortunately a lot of people feel very, very strongly against guns... If someone leans in that direction, I just drop the subject...

Fortunately, some people are the exact opposite... Was talking to a friend of a friend a while back and she surprised me by stating that she has a CWP and carries all the time... :)

So I was curious about what you tell someone or maybe discussions you have had about why you bought a firearm?

I am getting a lot of flak from people who are not familiar with firearms and against my purchase (too bad for them) and just don't understand why someone would buy a gun.

What do you guys say to someone who is afraid of firearms?
I would not have a discussion with someone that didn't like firearms or was scared of them, it will only cause negative and heated discussions. Sounds like you are between a rock and a rock with a female that you like and that she does'nt like. I personally will pick firearms over any woman in a split second. That firearm will be loyal to me and I do not need problems.

I agree with Occam's Razor and __jb as well... I do not flaunt my carry firearm nor do I ever speak of it unless I'm asked. When the subject does come up I sincerely explain that I was raised with firearms and have a healthy understanding and respect for them. If the subject continues I will mention my former law enforcement status or my son's current LEO status and move on :cool:
I agree 100% with telememo and Occam's Razor...

I never bring up the subject of guns unless someone else brings it up first... or unless I know their stance and agree with them of course...

Some people only know one thing about guns... They hate them! And those types of people are usually quite loud and obnoxious about it... They usually think guns are evil... They don't understand that guns are inanimate objects that rely on people to manipulate them. I usually avoid the "gun" discussion with these people...

I have read quite a bit on "I carry cause ..." here and on a few other sites.

For those against guns in general there is no good reason for you to buy/own a gun !

All the "could happen" scenarios in the world will not make them waver on their stance.

The only true "view changing" that will make a difference is if they are ever exposed to a situation where a weapon will protect themselves, their family. or their possessions, and if they live through that, there is still a chance they will remain like an ostrich with their head in the sand ....

I also try to avoid discussion with those that would only attempt to persuade me to see it their way ... Talk about the weather or politics instead, plenty of argument material there !

:)

So I was curious about what you tell someone or maybe discussions you have had about why you bought a firearm? ...What do you guys say to someone who is afraid of firearms?
My reasons for having firearms include;

1. Firearms have played a role in our history, from winning our independence, to winning the West, to safeguarding our shores, to expanding our role in the world. To be ignorant about this very basic historical tool, to me, would be leaving even bigger gaps in my knowledge of American and World history than already exist.

2. Once you have decided to at least study and understand them, firearms are interesting in their own right. Owning even a small collection of guns allows you to see first hand the evolution of technology, from iron, steel and wood percussion cap rifles to steel .45 caliber revolvers to the aluminum, plastic, and steel AR15. If you do not own even a small collection, you can visit them in all of our major museums.

3. Guns, at least good ones, are just plain durable. I have an 1864 Springfield rifled musket that is just as effective today as it was the day it was first issued. If you take just a little care of them, guns have a useful life of hundreds of years.

4. I will not say that commonplace guns are a good investment, because mass production has made sure that they are plentiful and cheap. At least they keep some of their dollar value, and all of their intrinsic and historical value over time. Some day my grandsons will divide my collection of guns, and the guns will no doubt be passed along again.

5. Shooting guns of any type is a demanding and somewhat difficult discipline, and it is fun. Controlling the power of the weapon, and trying to do so in a manner that yields good scores in comparison to the scores of others is challenging. As the author Paul Barrett ( of "Glock: The Rise of America's Gun" ) has noted in an interview with Terri Gross, "It's just darn fun to fire a gun."

6. There is no arguing the fact that gun ownership endows you with the ability to defend yourself. As long as you recognize and accept the responsibilities that come with gun ownership, it can enhance your peace of mind.

7. While I am not now a hunter, in the past I did some upland bird hunting. Guns play a central role in hunting and the history of hunting in this country. From subsistence hunting on the early frontier, to the slaughter of the buffalo, to the scientifically-based game population management of today, you cannot deny the place of hunting in our history.

8. As American citizens we have what seems to be, unique among countries, a Constitutional right, guaranteed in the Second Amendment, to keep and bear firearms. As with all of my other rights guaranteed by the Constitution, this is one that I value and defend.

That is probably a two-dollar answer to a fifty-dollar question, or a fifty-dollar answer to a two-dollar question, depending upon your point of view.

Chris

Personally? I would tell them it is to exercise my second amendment rights, to protect myself, my family, and others, and if they have an issue with it they can go f**k themselves. I wouldn't take "flak" from any liberal.

Tell them it's to save their ass before yours. "I'm the one with a gun, you should be afraid" and heck, If nothing ever happens I feel safer having it. Classic condom argument.

If they still don't get it?
Tell them everything in this forum if they care to listen.

One day they will get it, If it's at waffle house and people are getting shot up and Johnny nobody saves the day, they may rethink what king Obama tried to tell them.

"liberals are overly concerned about the one life your firearm may take, and almost never concerned about the tens of lives it will save"

Google that one, because I won't.

As for me? If they're good friends I will engage a thoughtful convo, anyone else? Who cares.. One day it will make sense or it won't. Matrix complex.. Can't free everyone.

I tell them its a hobby. I enjoy shooting firearms. It can be a expensive hobby, however I also play golf and thats just as bad. ( And not as fun sometimes ). As far as politics is concerned. I've mentioned this in a earlier post I'm a moderate. The right scares me as much as the left. I think people who are concerned with firearms get there fear from seeing gun toting jackasses walking around like cowboys at political rallies talking about how we need to take back our country. Are times bad in our country yes....should we resolve it by raiding the capital with our firearms...NO.

I think one way to stop people from fearing firearms is education. We live in a society where we prey on people with one liners and tough talk. We do it in such a way that we try to undermine or corrupt someones beliefs and make others look stupid. That needs to stop. By the way people who think this country was better 50 or even 200 years ago needs to rethink. Was it good when we still had slavery? segregation? sexual and religious discrimination?

Is our country better today?...I think we have more tolerance for each other. However financially we are in trouble. Overtaking the government doesn't help. However putting the right people in the seats of our government will help. Who are those people? How about we start with educated people who have middle of road political views. I think that would be a good start.

I know I got off subject but its something thats been bugging me for sometime.

Lets not miss the main thing.

There is something so simple about this.....

A gun is simply a mechanical device. A machine like a car or a socket wrench, even less like a car since the car requires multiple operator inputs.

A gun has springs and levers, a barrel and a frame. A machine that was designed to use as an offensive weapon. They have been around for hundreds of years and are going to remain around forever. People who don't think people should own firearms are suffering from something closely related to ignorance. This might not be the best argument to use, but a car is a more complicated piece of machinery and much more deadly/ dangerous. We give cars to 16 year olds and legally alcohol to 21 year olds with cars. At least you must have some reasonable background check to buy a firearm. Anyone can buy a car.

Just now seeing this thread after all these months. Anyway, not trying to be smart, but I don't think I've ever had anyone ask me why I've bought a gun. If I had someone ask I think I'd tell them "good luck with that baseball bat if someone breaks in you house" if the chose not to have a gun. I think the words would come if I got asked. Someone who is against guns is darn sure to be against a bunch of other things that you hold sacred. Book it.

Funny...

I heard that his neighbor took him to Court... Not sure how it ended up...

Here in Maryland, just about every other person including most of the officials are for harsh gun control laws. My state is in a battle right now regarding the CCW laws. When dealing with a Hardcore Anti, or just a Noob, I try to stay away from the its my right thing until I'm pushed. I tell them I enjoy the sport, and give them as many Crime statistics as I can muster. Then I usually ask them, "if some one was to break in your house with the intent to rob and do your family bodily harm". "Do you think asking them nicely to leave is going to work"?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.