Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting another glock in a little while and I am interested in the gen 4 glocks but keep hearing how people think they have function problems. what are the problems with them if any?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I have yet to have any. There are others that apparently cannot say the same. From what I am hearing the problems seem to revolve around the recoil spring

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have had no issues with my G19/4 after firing the first couple of magazines. Glock has issued a new recoil spring assembly (04 spring) to replace the original
recoil spring assembly (03 spring). This is supposed to correct the problem. You should have no problem with the 19/4 with the 03 spring if you fire 124 grain
or higher bullets. Like others have said I had no problems with the original spring, firing 115 grain bullets. The 19 is the only gen 4 I own, but would have no issues buying a gen 4 in another model. Enjoy your Glocks!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
The issues apparently stem, when they happen from shooting light loads. The new recoil spring that GLOCK will send out for free has allegedly resolved the problem. One of our posters stated his gun ran fine for several hundred rounds of target range shooting, but then failed when he took a class and ran the gun harder during training that he did at the range. Others haven't had any issues, as posted by some of members here.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The issues apparently stem, when they happen from shooting light loads. The new recoil spring that GLOCK will send out for free has allegedly resolved the problem. One of our posters stated his gun ran fine for several hundred rounds of target range shooting, but then failed when he took a class and ran the gun harder during training that he did at the range. Others haven't had any issues, as posted by some of members here.
That other person he is referring to is me. I actually had ran it pretty hard on the range prior to the class where it choked like crazy. I put the new spring in mine and shot a few mags yesterday on the range. It ran fine but won't declare it fixed until I can run it in another class. The "light" loads TheLaw is referring to is regular 115gr range fodder. Personally, I don't think of 115gr range ammo as light loads but that is what GLOCK says is causing the issue. I have read the original spring was actually designed around the .40s&w caliber so it was simply too stiff for the 9mm guns. GLOCK must have agreed and is now putting in lighter springs. This "should" fix the issues. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I have a 4th gen 17 and a 4th gen 19... I had one FTE with my 17 when I first got it, but none since. I have the latest recoil spring assemblies in my 17 (021) and my 19 (04).

The failure on my 17 was with a Federal 9mm 115gr round I got at Walmart. This ammo has since been found to be the lightest 9mm ammo available. I have since shot up all the Federal Champion ammunition I had and haven't had any more failures of any kind... but I won't buy any more of it.

I currently shoot mostly American Eagle 124gr FMJ because my self defense rounds are 124gr and all my Glocks seem to like it. I buy it in bulk, so it's cheaper than the Walmart ammo and I like it better. I also continue to shoot the 115gr WWB ammo because it's easy to find and I have a lot of it stashed away.

The 4th gen Glock 17 and 19 originally came with the same recoil spring assembly that the .40 cal Glocks used. Glock tested them with high powered ammo used by LE and the military and had no problems. Initial testing by the public with cheaper, lower powered ammo revealed some problems in the 9mm 4th gen Glocks.

Glock's 4th gen guns are a hot spot for arguments, but I like mine. I'm thinking about buying a 4th gen Glock 26 in the future.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
i have a gen 4 17 and fed everything as low as 95 grain and I haven't had a single problem. I even have to 03 spring.
Actually, the latest spring for the G17/4 is an "02 1"...

There is an "03" and an "04" spring for the G19/4...

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the issues a portion of gen 4 owners have, are the positives enough to lure someone away from a tried and tested gen 3?

Does the new frame texture, larger mag release and grip backstraps outway the tough recoil spring and knob on triggerbar cam?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
With the issues a portion of gen 4 owners have, are the positives enough to lure someone away from a tried and tested gen 3?

Does the new frame texture, larger mag release and grip backstraps outway the tough recoil spring and knob on triggerbar cam?
Depends if the grip on the Gen3 feels good to you. If it does ... get a Gen3. If the Gen3 feels too large/small then get the Gen4. The recoil difference isn't enough to use as a decision maker IMO. The grip texture ... I do like the new grip texture better but wouldn't make a decision based solely on that either.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I'll admit that I purchased a GEN 4 19 for all the reasons mentioned. Changeable back straps, larger mag release, and "grippy" texture. I'll also admit that I traded my GEN 4 19 for a GEN 3 19 when I had no issues whatsoever from the GEN 4. I traded because I didn't trust the gun, based on what others had said or experienced. Now, has my GEN 4 19 fired everything flawlessly? As far as I know it has. At the same time, my good friend Vol has experienced issues with his GEN 4. If I was going to buy another GLOCK today, it'd be a Gen 3. SFGuard has quite a few GEN4s based on my readings and he hasn't had any issues. To me it's a toss-up on what you are going to get and for that reason alone, it's GEN 3 for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I have two 4th gen Glocks and like them... No problems for me, but I've changed ammo and swapped out a few RSA's along the way.

If you need a Glock for CCW and don't want to update anything on it, it might be prudent to get a 3rg gen... I do believe that the 4th generation series will be the most desired series in the future...

·
Registered
9 Posts
So Hi - I'm just a new guy here...
I thought I'd chime in tho that my G19 Gen 4 is the only Glock that I've EVER had any trouble with. I've only had it a week or two; took it back to the dealer today and he's going to try to get it to reproduce my issue (failure to feed, failure to reach slide lock on empty mag, etc). If anyone's keeping track, I was using WWB 115gr and some reloads. This is a well used recipe for 124gr reloads that I make by the 1000's, that run my G17 gen 3 like a top. Those same reloads also run a buddy's XD and another buddy's CZ 100%. I'm having no issues with "hot" ammo, by the way, but still - the idea that I have to be "picky" about what ammo I use in a Glock seems, well... very UN-Glock like.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
First, welcome to the site Toddje.

Secondly, I would go back and get your gun, call GLOCK and get the new spring, and then your issues should be resolved. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.