Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i just recently bought my first glock and was wondering what the best ammo would be for me. I have a 23 gen 4. I only casually shoot at the range and own it for mostly home defense. Im looking for the best ammo for about mid range pricing. I assume two different types of ammo is practical for my case?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
For Home/Self Defense, the top of the line ammo in my opinion are;
1. Federal HSTs
2. Ranger +p
3. Speer Gold Dots

For target practice, I shoot just about any FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) and then run a few mags of my carry ammo through to make sure there are no feeding problems, which typically isn't an issue for GLOCKs but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
1. Federal HSTs
2. Ranger +p
3. Speer Gold Dots

For target practice, I shoot just about any FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) and then run a few mags of my carry ammo through to make sure there are no feeding problems, which typically isn't an issue for GLOCKs but it's always better to be safe than sorry.
This.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1. Federal HSTs
2. Ranger +p
3. Speer Gold Dots

I want to add Corbon DPX to the list of home defense rounds that perform well.
Barnes is the designer of the corbon dpx

·
Registered
275 Posts
Definately Federal HST's and the Federal Or Winchester FMJ's from Wally World for practice/fun.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I recommend Fed HST or a bonded ammo (PDX1, ect..) for carry..

Go with Win White Box or Fed Champ from Walmart, like dirtys0uthfl1 said. It's cheap and your G23 will eat it up.

That's just the least expensive stuff I've found. My G23 loves it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Federal HST in the Nickle coated casing is my favorite by far. but I would also feel comfortable with these in my gun for defence

(no specific order)
Win PDX1
Win Ranger ( the Bonded round only(which is pritty much identical to PDX1))
Corbon DPX
Speer Gold Dot

The HST is not a bonded bullet but it is soooooo well designed that it will preform just as good(or better in my opinion) as a bonded bullet when shooting the things it is made to shoot. the jacket will separate when shooting very hard things like thick steel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use speer gold dots in my 27 for defense, very consistant and I really like the expansion in my tests. Tried Federal hydrashocks and like the gold dots better. I havent tried the HST's but will soon.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Federal HST in the Nickle coated casing is my favorite by far. but I would also feel comfortable with these in my gun for defence

(no specific order)
Win PDX1
Win Ranger ( the Bonded round only(which is pritty much identical to PDX1))
Corbon DPX
Speer Gold Dot

The HST is not a bonded bullet but it is soooooo well designed that it will preform just as good(or better in my opinion) as a bonded bullet when shooting the things it is made to shoot. the jacket will separate when shooting very hard things like thick steel.
Bonded ranger is completely different (and older) jhp technology than pdx1.

Bonded rangers are notorious for rarely expanding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.