Glock Pro Forums banner

Watch this about Gun Safes

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
OK, so we get a lot of people that ask questions about securing a firearm. I put this into the Carry Issues section because those of us who carry, should have a secure way to store the firearm(s) when we are not wearing them, whether that be at home or in a vehicle, etc..

**** PLEASE NOTE - There is some VERY bad language in this video, however, as much as I wish they guy could get his point across without the cursing, there is some VERY good information here.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't think most lockboxes/strongboxes/lockers were designed to be impenetrable. They provide a useful way to put up a slight barrier to someone trying to get in that will hopefully turn away a nosy kid. THAT is their purpose. If you rely on such a lockbox to deter a thief, you are missing the mark. And if you fully trust it as a failproof safe against a child, you are also off based. But if you understand their purpose and capabilities, they do provide a nice way to keep your gun fairly ready at hand, but also secure enough to cause at least some hesitation to someone considering getting in.

That being said, this is good info for many people who do have a false sense of security from such lockers.

#8 ·
This year's MUST DO list has a gun safe way up near the top.
I never thought much of those little "feel good" boxes, the vid confirms my concerns, we've already decided to get a Liberty Safe.
Though this thread is old, it is very valuable!
Thanks Law!

#10 ·
I'm ex-military (from back in the day when there was no such things as being "politically correct"), so I guess I just didn't notice any "bad language" in the video. I heard a lot more and a lot louder my first day of boot camp. :)

If the lock box can be moved, it is not secure. I believe that you should teach your kids about firearms and you won't have a problem with them accessing them carelessly. Many of us were raised back in the day where there were no such things as gun safes and we survived. We were taught gun safety from an early age.

#11 ·
I teach my 3 year old daughter all she can digest at her age. And I try to make sure of constant supervision. But I'm not trusting her life to her own judgment in listening to what I teach her. I'll keep my guns in my 700 lb. safe.

#12 ·
Man, I grew up with guns all over the house. Heck, I had a 3 gun rack in my bedroom. 12g, 30/30 and my .410. I knew where all my dad's guns were and which ones were loaded. He took the time to teach me very early. And it stuck. I admit I don't have the best setup yet in my house. ( as far as secured). But it's in the works.

It's amazing how different life us today compared to what we knew. I'm surprised we've survived past preschool with all the things they say we can't do today.

I hope no one takes this wrong. But there's no substitute for good parenting.

Nothing is 100% guaranteed safe. All a gun safe dies is slow down the person trying to get into it, ( thief). Just because your weapons are in a safe, doesn't mean that's were the safety ends. Proper education and training for anyone in the dwelling is a must. In my mind, that's the most important part. Please don't misunderstand my statement. I believe in safes and am getting one. Just don't want anyone having a false sense of security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I agree completely. We also had guns all over the house, and it wasn't until I was a teenager that my dad finally got a good liberty safe. That said, I know, even as safety conscious as I was that I snuck around and shot my dad's guns without supervision at times. And I also know that even with the best parenting, kids sometimes make bad choices.

I'm not suggesting parenting and teaching/training won't alleviate most bad situations, they won't prevent them all. And that is our goal. Yes, we all survived in the world before most had safes. But that doesn't mean much. There were many who didn't. Suggesting parenting alone is the answer rather than both parenting and a good safe, is akin to saying "we all survived before many medical breakthroughs so who needs modern medicine?"

I'm all about teaching your kids and teaching them young. But I still believe in additional safety measures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.