Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read an article which was a cause for some concern.

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Patrol/News/2011/01/24/NLEOMF-A-Dangerous-24-Hours-for-LE.aspx?ref=OnTarget-Monday-20110124

Being in LE is often a thank less job. I can count on one hand how many times in my career someone has thanked me, but then again those that choose LE as a career don't do it for the recognition.

I get fired up when I read / hear stories like this. Even if you're not in LE, be aware of your surroundings, stay safe, and always carry.

·
None
1,525 Posts
I'm on the job, and I have seen nothing to this point that shows any linkage of these events or that any type of concerted effort is underway to actually target us.

What we are seeing is a continued collapse of the mental health system leading to an increased number of violent confrontations.

·
None
1,525 Posts
Another thing that we will see leading to the increased number of violent confrontations is states pushing to release inmates to cut the cost of running a prison system.

While many of the inmates released will be supposedly "non-violent" drug offenders, the penal system and the county jails are the largest mental health providers out there. Now, there will be more people out on the streets needing mental health care that also have substance abuse problems. That's just a recipe for violence.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Another thing that we will see leading to the increased number of violent confrontations is states pushing to release inmates to cut the cost of running a prison system.

While many of the inmates released will be supposedly "non-violent" drug offenders, the penal system and the county jails are the largest mental health providers out there. Now, there will be more people out on the streets needing mental health care that also have substance abuse problems. That's just a recipe for violence.
As well as the training grounds for many otherwise "non-violent" offenders. At least working UC drugs in Miami in the 80's I knew everybody was a bad guy. The guys on the job now are my personal heroes. So I'll say thanks, again and again.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm on the job, and I have seen nothing to this point that shows any linkage of these events or that any type of concerted effort is underway to actually target us.

What we are seeing is a continued collapse of the mental health system leading to an increased number of violent confrontations.
JW well said! I am a doc and continue to see a number of mental health issues combined with self medication (substance abuse) leading to volatile situations! Part of the reason I do carry!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd have to agree there is no way that at this time you can link it to an intentional war on cops. Just a series of unfortunate events. Not to mention the number of brothers and sisters dying are lower than the 1970s I believe when it was at it's peak. Our training is significantly better than it use to be. We spent 4 weeks on firearms training alone in my academy, my father in law spent 12 weeks total in the academy back in 1975. My cousin spent 8 weeks total in the academy in 1972.

We need to always be aware of our surroundings. I think the biggest lesson I've learned as of late is to always pay attention on EVERY scene you are working regardless of what it is. Was it 2 officers killed while processing a scene after the crime had been committed at the beginning of the year. I was riding 2 man the other night, had a family assault, suspect fled on foot prior to our arrival. We cleared the surrounding area of the house, the house and I stood outside the door while he conducted the interview with the victim.

G

·
I just read an article which was a cause for some concern.

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Patrol/News/2011/01/24/NLEOMF-A-Dangerous-24-Hours-for-LE.aspx?ref=OnTarget-Monday-20110124

Being in LE is often a thank less job. I can count on one hand how many times in my career someone has thanked me, but then again those that choose LE as a career don't do it for the recognition.

I get fired up when I read / hear stories like this. Even if you're not in LE, be aware of your surroundings, stay safe, and always carry.
I am not a Cop. I am however a former AD Marine. At the same time, alot of the guys I train with at my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy are either Cops, SEALs, or former/current Military.

I would like to say thanks to all of you who serve as Police Officers/LEOs. I appreciate you and all the work you do.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
165 Posts
well sheepdog, i would like to thank you for the thankless job you and your fellow leo's do. putting your life on the line day in day out must be a very stressful thing to do. especially in this crazy world. god bless.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
WRONG... "War on COPS" they always help not hurt.
We just lost a 14 year NYState Police Officer to a traffic stop accident!
RIP Trooper Kevin Dobson, you served us well and are remembered respectfully and appreciated!

·
None
1,525 Posts
We had a bad one here last week in the county to our north:

The suspect (refuse to utter his name unless being done in an official manner) was doing time in prison for armed robbery when his brother was killed in a shootout with the police in the county to our north. The suspect vowed that he would get revenge. Last Tuesday, he was being sought in connection to a kidnapping when he ambushed two officers. He killed one and shot the other in the face and shoulder. He then carjacked a women and fled sparking a four day manhunt.

As soon as we got the call, we sent the cavalry across the river, and we had guys stay in the field until he was caught. I'm extremely proud of the way our guys performed. Several of them stayed in the field the entire four days only stopping long enough to get some sleep. Our guys were among those that eventually sealed the suspect in a house leading to his capture.

I didn't know the officer that was killed all that well, but I know the officer that was shot.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Two tragic circumstances...

Sorry to hear about the death and injuries to all the officers...

Good on your guys for catching that bastard, jl...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was a reserve for the Daytona Bch. P.D. many years ago before I enlisted in the Army. I thought things were crazy then for someone to be in L.E., but now days the crime scene has escalated 10 fold. My neighbor is a rookie cop here in Podunk Small Town, Tn., and he tells me that their training has been cut due to budget cuts for the city. I tip my hat off to anyone in law enforcement and to our brothers and sisters serving our country in the military. God Bless each and every one of you.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
It's unbelievable to me that we could ask LEO's to protect us from evil... and risk their lives doing it... and then cut funding for their training... I don't see how that can happen... :(

It shouldn't happen!

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's where we put our priorities in this country. Two of the worst paid, and least appreciated people are cops and teachers. But we can send billions to feed other countries or sponsor touchy feely POTUS programs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.