Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good article I was sent by my buddy Steve. It makes for a good read about using lever action rifles in a self defense scenario.

The Combat Leveraction Rifle | Open Source Survival

Living in one of the most restrictive states in the US one is sometimes forced to get very creative to find effective defensive tools.
For those who are not familiar with California's laws, centerfire autoloader rifles are highly restricted to the point where many police officers will err on the side of caution and take a rifle in for safe keeping if they are not sure whether or not it fall under California Assault Weapons Law.

That said, two years ago, I began looking at non-autoloading rifle platforms that will allow a quick rate of fire, handle fast and ambidextrous, have a good choice of effective calibers and hold a decent amount of ammunition. Gabriel Suarez' work on the combat lever action rifle came to mind and I began researching this platform.
Click the link above to continue reading the article.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Good read, thanks for posting.

Let me just say I am glad I don't live in the People's Republic of California. :p

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Thanks for posting... interesting read. The lever action as SD option has been, rightfully so I think, been getting a fair amount of discussion of late. Even on this forum, I believe Mr. Weems posted advise that a 30/30 would be an "excellent truck gun".

Ever since watching "The Rifleman" in the 60's I've wanted but never owned a lever action rifle. The lever action is truly the original "assault rifle".... another idea that doesn't seem to ever outlive it's usefulness.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mossberg made that new butt ugly 30-30 Tactical garbage that we shared a few days ago here on GPro. I wouldn't have one personally but my good Friend JLW has a 30-30 that just has black furniture on it. Standard stock and foregrip, it's just black on a blued gun and it looks awesome. That would be something I could get behind and use for a truck gun or something along those lines. I wipe down with oil every once in awhile and placed in a gun sleeve and you would be good to go.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have a Marlin Guide gun .45-70. With some 400 grain Hornady Leverlution ammo I would have no problem using it in self defense. I haven't had a chance to read the article, but I can see why some people that had to can rely on such a weapon. They are in many ways more reliable than an semi auto gun. Afterall they were the guns that help win the west.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a nice 30-30 Lever gun but it was my Grandfathers so it's not getting thrown behind any seats in any truck, any time soon.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My concern would be penetration, but if you knew what was behind the target like a experienced person should it is very effective, Great article

1 - 7 of 7 Posts