Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Depends on the situation Keith. If in my house I have the advantage with no light. In other situations I don't place myself in no lite situations. I live in a very small town in wisconsin now but I have spent most of my adult life in the largest cities around the world. Always be aware of your surroundings and never put yourself into harms way by not paying attention to your surroundings. My kids are all adults and i live alone now so if you have wife/kids be sure to id your target at home before you shoot

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i whole heartedly agree with having good SA but im hard pressed to believe that you can never find yourself in a low/no light situation where you may have to properly ID a threat. So i guess those of us that do find ourselves in low light situations, whatdya using?

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Keith,
Simply put I use my hearing smell and night sight. No I have not ever found myself in a no/low light situation so i trust instinct and judgment. When in the army I had a night scope, but so far I have not placed myself in a situation of no/low light situation. I always know my surroundings and access any external threat. Stay aware and avoid bad situations has kept me safe so far. Be aware of where you are and most times that will keep you safe. I traveled and could only have a knife in most places so I learned to be aware of my surroundings and keep myself save. I left the Army 20 plus years ago but remember my training. I mean I use common sense if say Im in the zona rosa in Mexico city, I do not leave my hotel after dark period. My point is be aware and keep yourself out of trouble and trust yourself and most times you will be ok. I know I did not address your ? but this is the best I can share with you. Please lets keep this going and share with every one else. I was lucky enough to travel as both Military and civilian and might have some insite most do not have.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Keith,
Being that I live in the country,away from street lights and such, I use a reg. flas light or a Q-beam to light up the night. But my Bride has "encouraged me" on finding some sort of light to attach to any one of our guns...my question is what do you or anyone elseout there use or recommend for a mounted light source?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I run a TLR-1 on my Glock and M&P. Simple operation, holds up well to abuse, good light output. Plus LOTS of holsters out there made for it.

Unless you just don't carry a gun while it's dark, you should have some form of white light on you. Weapons mounted is great, handheld lights have their uses as well. Gotta ID those threats, don't need to be putting rounds in someone who doesn't need them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run an Lx2 for a hand held along with the x300 on the pistol with DG switch. the lx2 eems to have the best balance of throw and spill for my indoor and shorter range outdoor needs. You carry a handheld along with the TLR1?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Waiting to get either an LX2 or LX1...not sure if the LX1 is out yet, it's definitely more in my price range and the smaller size appeals to me as well. Haven't been able to find one for sale so I'm assuming it just hasn't been released yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I normally carry a pocket size tac light. I can select dim, bright, and strobe. Plus, I also have night sights and a Crimson Trace on my G23 CCW. Since most crimes happen at night, I wanted to make sure I can properly identify my assailant(s); helps if you have to face the Grand Jury.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I used to keep a SureFire X200B on my bedside pistol but have gone to hand held lights. I still think weapons mounted lights have their place. I just don't think one is a necessity in my situation.

Having a young child in the house we have night lights throughout our home and that gives me pretty good ambient light to work with. I can navigate and ID most anywhere in my home without having to give up my position/advantage by flashing a white light. With night sights I can acquire a target easily. Also having a young child in the home is part of the reason I moved away from a weapons mounted light. There's the whole "don't want to have to point a light (and thus your weapon) at something just to ID it" argument but that wasn't what made my decision at all. I just didn't like having a pistol with light attached sitting in the open on my night stand. I was afraid my child would have a nightmare and come into the room at night and somehow accidentally come into contact with the pistol. She would never do it intentionally in the light but in the dark and half asleep? Now, I keep my bedside pistol in a holster with a SureFire hand held G2LED right beside it.

For EDC I carry either a small Fenix LED light or a Streamlight MicroStream.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I use the TLR-2 and a hand held. I'm looking to add strobe feature to my hand held light if I can find one.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I used to keep a SureFire X200B on my bedside pistol but have gone to hand held lights. I still think weapons mounted lights have their place. I just don't think one is a necessity in my situation.

Having a young child in the house we have night lights throughout our home and that gives me pretty good ambient light to work with. I can navigate and ID most anywhere in my home without having to give up my position/advantage by flashing a white light. With night sights I can acquire a target easily. Also having a young child in the home is part of the reason I moved away from a weapons mounted light. There's the whole "don't want to have to point a light (and thus your weapon) at something just to ID it" argument but that wasn't what made my decision at all. I just didn't like having a pistol with light attached sitting in the open on my night stand. I was afraid my child would have a nightmare and come into the room at night and somehow accidentally come into contact with the pistol. She would never do it intentionally in the light but in the dark and half asleep? Now, I keep my bedside pistol in a holster with a SureFire hand held G2LED right beside it.

For EDC I carry either a small Fenix LED light or a Streamlight MicroStream.
Im just now stepping into the world of illumination but youve made some great points here. my feeling for what ever reason has always been to have a handheld light versus a weapon mounted one.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Im just now stepping into the world of illumination but youve made some great points here. my feeling for what ever reason has always been to have a handheld light versus a weapon mounted one.
Ideally one would have both. A weapons mounted light allows you a free hand to open a door, pick a child, tend off an attacker, etc. A hand held light allows you much more freedom though in how/what you illuminate. If I have to choose between the two I pick hand held. If I don't ... I would have both.

·
Registered
279 Posts
... another thought ... do some low light training. Learn the different techniques and what it is actually like to use a light with live fire after dark. It is very ... illuminating. lol.
yeah i deffinatly need to do some night shooting. main reason i havent is the land i shoot on you cant legally shoot after dark. but ill find a way. even if i just go to the indoor range and have them turn off all the lights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.