Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning - I recently purchased a few trigger parts for my Glock 17 that I intend to use for my CCW. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of forums with professionals who say not to upgrade a trigger or install a light connector for a gun you plan to use defensively. I currently have the OEM trigger group, connector, and springs on my G17 and the pull just seems insane. While I already did the polish (.25 cent) trigger job, the pull wasn't reduced at all and the trigger reset was only slightly improved.

I bought a Ghost Inc. "self defense" configuration spring kit that includes a 5lb connector, 6lb firing pin spring, and 6lb trigger spring. The intent is to have a "snappier", firmer trigger reset and smoother trigger takeup while only slightly reducing the trigger pull by about half a pound. I plan on keeping the OEM trigger shoe, trigger bar, and trigger safety.

I just wanted to get general feedback on modifying triggers on CCW's and if the aforementioned parts are a concern, in the event that such a configuration is ever used in a self defense situation.

Ghost inc trigger kit: link>ghostinc.com/tactical-5-0-complete-trigger-kit-for-glocks-gen-1-4/

Kind regards

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
I wouldn't/don't do it.

The only think I might modify is the sights.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
If you will do a search of the forum you will find several threads on trigger modifications.

25 cent trigger job and a minus connector seem to work for most.

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
Ever had a dream where you’re being chased by a bad guy and no matter what your gun just wont fire? That’s God reminding you of the 11th commandment “thou shalt keep thy self defense Glock Stock”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ever had a dream where you're being chased by a bad guy and no matter what your gun just wont fire? That's God reminding you of the 11th commandment "thou shalt keep thy self defense Glock Stock"

I had to laugh at this because I've had that dream more times than I can count lol. Very true however, OEM parts can fail as well. Especially it being a used Glock 17 I have. I test all of my firearms extensively with different ammo, mags, and scenarios before carrying them. And will do the same with any other parts added. But I tend to lean more towards your commandment reference in keeping things stock.

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
The Zev trigger is a trigger bar with shoe. It has a flat face which is more forgiving of shooter error than the round Glock shoe. I have a couple on competition guns. I’ve also tried a handful of others and prefer the Zev. Zev also sales a lighter connector, firing pin spring and heavier trigger bar. I’m not a fan of lighter firing pin springs on any gun.

The Zev can be adjusted Pre/post travel reduction, for that reason I would never use one in a self defense gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Zev trigger is a trigger bar with shoe. It has a flat face which is more forgiving of shooter error than the round Glock shoe. I have a couple on competition guns. I've also tried a handful of others and prefer the Zev. Zev also sales a lighter connector, firing pin spring and heavier trigger bar. I'm not a fan of lighter firing pin springs on any gun.

The Zev can be adjusted Pre/post travel reduction, for that reason I would never use one in a self defense gun.

Any concerns with a heavier firing pin spring?

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Especially it being a used Glock 17
Frank takes exception with that statement.

I bought him from a lot of LE trade-ins back the the 90's and have fired many rounds and have never had it not go off when the trigger is pulled or fall apart when shooting it. Have I told the story of the Wilson/Ed Brown/? .45 magazine dumping my ammo on my feet one day ?????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Especially it being a used Glock 17
Frank takes exception with that statement.

I bought him from a lot of LE trade-ins back the the 90's and have fired many rounds and have never had it not go off when the trigger is pulled or fall apart when shooting it. Have I told the story of the Wilson/Ed Brown/? .45 magazine dumping my ammo on my feet one day ?????
Must be a 1911 thing 😉. I've had and carried several used LE and military sidearms and have nothing but good luck (knock on wood)!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any concerns with a heavier firing pin spring?
I don't have an issue with the 6lb trigger spring. It is listed as an acceptable way to lighten trigger pull by Glock in the Armorers material. Minus connector being the only other.

What is the difference between the minus connector and an aftermarket, lighter connector?

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
What is the difference between the minus connector and an aftermarket, lighter connector?
A number of aftermarket connectors have over-travel stops on them. Many of those have to be filed to work correctly. Others use different slopes or a variety of other ideas to try and change the weight or feel of the trigger. Some are cheaply made and don't fit correctly (bumping the edge of the trigger housing used to be a common problem). Still others function perfectly fine.

It's impossible to know them all or what's different about them BUT we do know the Glock minus connectors are to Glock's spec. So if someone is going to lighten their SD gun, I recommend sticking to a Glock connector.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There could be legal considerations if you’re ever involved in a shooting. Do a google for the officer involved in the shooting with you’re f***** engraved on the dust cover of his AR15. A good prosecutor can make mountains out of mole hills if they so desire to get a conviction. ANY modifications can be used against you. It’s your gun, your decision, but something to consider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A number of aftermarket connectors have over-travel stops on them. Many of those have to be filed to work correctly. Others use different slopes or a variety of other ideas to try and change the weight or feel of the trigger. Some are cheaply made and don't fit correctly (bumping the edge of the trigger housing used to be a common problem). Still others function perfectly fine.

It's impossible to know them all or what's different about them BUT we do know the Glock minus connectors are to Glock's spec. So if someone is going to lighten their SD gun, I recommend sticking to a Glock connector.

Thank you for the clarification! I just installed the ghost inc tactical 5lb connector last night with the over travel stop. The trigger pull feels about the same, the only difference being the shortened reset which is much nicer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There could be legal considerations if you're ever involved in a shooting. Do a google for the officer involved in the shooting with you're f***** engraved on the dust cover of his AR15. A good prosecutor can make mountains out of mole hills if they so desire to get a conviction. ANY modifications can be used against you. It's your gun, your decision, but something to consider.
Very true. It makes me nervous to even carry because all of my guns have some modification, even if just after market sights. Im pretty confident with the trigger upgrades I did, however, seeing that the triggers pull wasn't lightened, just improved - which I guess a case could be made for making improvements to increase the guns accuracy which I would assume judicious accuracy is appreciated in self defense situations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts