Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UPS guy came today. He brought my $306 worth of G34 conversion parts. There's something about the G34 that I really like. I just didn't realize it until after I bought my G17.

While the G17 is absolutely a great pistol... the G34 was a little more special. Rather than buy an entire G34 I decided on killing two birds with one stone (don't tell the ASPCA).

I wanted the G34, AND I wanted a lightweight G17 ala Cylinder & Slide. So, I sent my G17 to a machinist buddy along with detailed instructions. Then I went to the LWD site and ordered a G34 S/S slide and all the internals. I also ordered Ameriglo sights (FO front, white dot rear).

The G17 will take a while, but the G34 is ready to go. There's a gun show this weekend and I have to get to the range too. There's just not enough days in the week.

This is my G34-LWD...

This is what my G17 will end up looking like...

I'll post pics when I get it back.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
That's amazing!

The G17 slide looks hot! What will you have to do to make the gun run with the lighter slide? Seems like you'd need a complete different spring set... or maybe lighter loads... or both?

That will be one light 17!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Nice. Can't wait to see the work when it gets done. Watch that front sight on the G34. Volgrad had issues with his coming loose after a relatively small amount of rounds through it. This isn't a negative attack on Ameriglo as I love their sights but just an FYI.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
prob work fine with the stock recoil assembly, but with the lighter slide and subsequent faster slide speed, you might consider a slightly heavier wolff recoil spring assembly to reduce frame battering :)

(unless you're counting on the faster slide speed to decrease the followup shot time, of course)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I believe I'll start out with a G19 weight spring (19-20#) and see how everything works out. I want the recoil-snap to be as close to the original G17 as possible.

Also, you can heat up a Hot Pocket on the slide cutout when the barrel gets hot. Great for those long range sessions.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Looks great! Good for you to have the ba.... er gumption, to have a go with your Glock. Looks terrific!

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Looks very nice congrats

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice. Watch that front sight on the G34. Volgrad had issues with his coming loose after a relatively small amount of rounds through it. This isn't a negative attack on Ameriglo as I love their sights but just an FYI.
The G34 was flawless today. Everything fed. Everything fired (150). Everything extracted. And, everything ejected.

The only problem I encountered was the Ameriglo sight. The front shot loose. I'll Lock-Tite it again. I hope it doesn't continue to come loose.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
The G34 was flawless today. Everything fed. Everything fired (150). Everything extracted. And, everything ejected.

The only problem I encountered was the Americo. The front shot loose. I'll Lock-Tite it again. I hope it doesn't continue to come loose.
Sounds like the exact same issue Vol had. Something about that specific front sight, as we haven't had any issues with any of the others.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The only problem I encountered was the Americo. The front shot loose. I'll Lock-Tite it again. I hope it doesn't continue to come loose.
The issue I had wasn't the sight shooting loose. I Lock-Tite all mine in anyway. My FO rod came loose after only a couple of range sessions. In it's defense though it came loose after shooting the Storm Lake 4 ported barrel. That really did it in.

In defense of Ameriglo .... Rick offered to replace it which I declined. It's in my parts box still and when I get around to it I'll take a Bic to it and tighten it back up. Rick also told me that was one of only a couple (out of several hundred models) of sights they farm out. He told me they would be producing all their own FO very soon. I expect the issue will be resolved.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I don't see why front sights would become loose on a G34 and not other Glocks?

Are you guys talking about the front sight screw or the fiber optics rod... or both of them? (what it seems to me)...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I don't see why front sights would become loose on a G34 and not other Glocks?

Are you guys talking about the front sight screw or the fiber optics rod... or both of them? (what it seems to me)...
Fiber Optic rod came loose for Vol. I might have misunderstood the OPs post. but I thought he was having the same issue.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The screw on mine came loose to the point the sight wiggled. I reinstalled it. I'll just have to wait until the next range trip to see if it stays put.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's a nice set-up, can't wait to pick up my 34. hate to be a copy cat but you've definately gat what I'm looking for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.