Glock Pro Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Oh i was raised the same way brother. As kids if you didnt clean every gun after every time there was hell to pay. I just look at SD guns differently than my hunting guns. To me there a tool. and i really dont care how they look as long as they function every time.

I just got some work done on my g17 EDC a few months ago, which included being melonited and its already scratched and has holster wear. Im not sure if you can tell but i did post some of it in the gallery thingy.

· Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I don't clean mine everytime. For me I clean them about every 500 rounds or so (which is weekly for one of them) using just a field strip. I do a detail strip and cleaning every 5,000 or so

· Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Cool guys thanks for sharing. Don't get me wrong some of my guns are beat up. I don't care how they look, I care that they function when needed. My Grandma gave me a .410 she bought in 1949 and it is beat up, but clean and still goes bang every time. Okay I admit I redid the stock and rebluded it in the 70s and it is pretty again today but it is still a tool with a function and performs that function to this day.

· Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Cool guys thanks for sharing. Don't get me wrong some of my guns are beat up. I don't care how they look, I care that they function when needed. My Grandma gave me a .410 she bought in 1949 and it is beat up, but clean and still goes bang every time. Okay I admit I redid the stock and rebluded it in the 70s and it is pretty again today but it is still a tool with a function and performs that function to this day.
Yeah, it is to each his own really. I shoot daily for the most part and would really get tired of daily cleanings. I have confidence that mine is done enough. Glock has one that has alot of rounds out of it and has never been cleaned. (testing gun) I don't know what the count is up to but my last armorers course it was somewhere around 100,000 I think they said.

G

·
@ the OP: I was using the nylon brush that came with my glock, figuring that I would only use the brass brush if the barrel was really fouled up, but I have since decided that a brass brush every time will be just fine, if not better. Seems to me like the nylon brush seems to pick up more residue than the metal brushes do, therefore redepositing it with each punch.

Or maybe I'm just on crack.

· Registered
25 Posts
I clean my pistol after every target practice, which I only get to do about four times a year. I always scrub the barrel with Hoppes #9 and a brass brush. Then swab with oil and dry patches. I wipe and nylon brush the rest of the pistol, and then apply Remoil per the instructions in the manual. I carry my G26 every day. If I don't get to shoot, I still clean my pistol monthly the same way mentioned above. I'm an old dog and it is the way I was raised. It works for me and I'm happy with it. It is a matter of personal choice; what works for me, may not work for you. Glocks are some of the most durable guns made.

· Registered
431 Posts
When my barrell is dirty enough to warrant brushing as opposed to wipening it with a patch of CLP Break Free, I use a brass brush. Have for too many years to count and no problems.

· Registered
242 Posts
The Glock Barrel is most certainly higher on the Rockwell scale than a brass brush. Scratching a gun barrel to the point of damage would be in line with scratching a diamond with a piece of glass. The science solves the mystery here.

· Registered
1 Posts
Alright man, Are you talking about bore brushes or cleaning brushes(look like tooth brush). Any part of the barrel can and should be cleaned with brass WHEN!!!!! there is significant carbon build up in the bore or on exterior of barrel that resists nylon brushes. Clean your gun often, less carbon build up, no need for hard brushes. Shoot lots of cheap rounds, more carbon build up, bla bla bla, carbon bad. Your barrel is hardened steel dude, its very hard to scratch it, especially with soft metals. So clean it how you want, just make sure you got the right caliber brush and use proper through and through technique. I love bore snakes for quick barrel cleanings during and after a long 300-500 round session, just so the carbon cant sit and get harder to remove when I clean it thoroughly.

Hope this helps

· Registered
3,124 Posts
Alright man, Are you talking about bore brushes or cleaning brushes(look like tooth brush). Any part of the barrel can and should be cleaned with brass WHEN!!!!! there is significant carbon build up in the bore or on exterior of barrel that resists nylon brushes. Clean your gun often, less carbon build up, no need for hard brushes. Shoot lots of cheap rounds, more carbon build up, bla bla bla, carbon bad. Your barrel is hardened steel dude, its very hard to scratch it, especially with soft metals. So clean it how you want, just make sure you got the right caliber brush and use proper through and through technique. I love bore snakes for quick barrel cleanings during and after a long 300-500 round session, just so the carbon cant sit and get harder to remove when I clean it thoroughly.

Hope this helps
Ummm.... this thread is like 2 years old...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.