Glock.pro banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh yeah. Got mine last week it is currently installed in my gen 3 19. Shorter take up and reset, unbelievable break. Typical glock reset which is the best in my opinion. What Timney has done here is reinvent the glock trigger as we know it. It went from a gritty spongy trigger with a violent break that throws your sight picture off if youre not ready for it. To a smooth system that gives you way more control over the trigger. All youre doing now is just releasing a pre cocked firing pin. Instead of cocking it by pressing the trigger then releasing it. And it also confirmed what I suspected all along with the glock trigger system. All that sponge and grit that we have been trying to polish and tune out over the years was in fact coming mostly from the cocking/compressing of the firing pin and the scraping of the spring against the channel liner that you cannot polish or tune out. Well thats all history with this trigger system. The trigger is a little light for duty/carry I wont lie. I am not into competition shooting cause there is no competition shooting where I live. But I believe with a 8 lb connector a 5 lb trigger can be had. Right now its 3.2 pounds with a unmarked 5 lb connector. Anyway whenever I can score some damn ammo ill go to the range and give a more detailed report.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I looked these up and it's the first time I've seen a truly new design for a Glock so I ordered it (first time paying full price for an aftermarket trigger). It came today FedEx and I initially installed it into a G17 Gen3 cutaway so I could observe the inner workings. My cutaway had a minus connector in it and I left it that way.

I think the idea is ingenious but as an armorer, I'm having some issues with it.

1) The only forward pressure on the trigger is the small wire spring that gets installed next to the slide stop lever. What I noticed was if I put very slight pressure on the trigger then released it - it stayed towards the rear with the firing pin safety in a disarmed state. So 2 of the 3 Glock safeties are disarmed and did not reset when I took my finger off the trigger.

2) The unit that has the lug which holds the firing pin to the rear is entirely dependent upon it's own spring to keep the firing pin from releasing. This would make the Glock drop safety irrelevant. The only thing ensuring the firing pin does not release is the trigger system's own spring.

Taken together, the gun could be potentially unsafe. The trigger can be in a position that disarms the trigger safety and firing pin safety and the system doesn't use the drop safety, all it would need is a good jolt opposite the TMH unit to fire the gun. A little disconcerting for something promoted by Shane Coley. I'll try to reach out to Timney this weekend and see what they say. I also need to put it in one of my other Glocks to ensure the issue repeats.

As far as the feel of the trigger - definitely going to have to use a standard connector. With the minus connector I got an average trigger pull of 2lbs 5oz - that's insanely light (too light in my opinion) for a Glock. I can't feel any wall. I don't fault the trigger for that, I just think it's the wrong combination. Somewhere I have a Ghost Angel connector - it also has no wall, I'll have to try that also just to see how insane it gets. I'll also test a + connector to see how it feels but I think the standard connector is what this is really designed for.

I don't see any way this should be used for a SD gun given that it negates one of Glock's safeties even if I hadn't experience the first issue. I want to test it more before making my mind up about it for competition/range toy.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts

Great info MTStream.

[Resize=500]
[/Resize]

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts

Here's a second, more detailed video from Johnny Glock

·
Registered
7 Posts

Here's a second, more detailed video from Johnny Glock
Yeah its obvious looking at this video and studying the design that none of the safety's are being defeated. As long as the trigger is working properly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
After reading the review about the new Timney trigger I bought one for my G19. Installed it and made it to the range Thursday. Ran 50 rounds through it and it functioned perfectly. Used the stock striker spring and an Apex connector 3.2. With the stock striker spring was getting a deep indentation on the primers no more worrying about having to lighten the striker spring to get a lighter trigger pull. Trigger pull was averaging 2lb 10oz crisp break and quick clean reset. No issues with the trigger not resetting. As smooth as the trigger bar was I slightly polished the edges where it contacted the connector and the striker lug. Put a very thin layer of grease on the trigger bar to connector and striker lug areas. Defiantly a different trigger concept for a Glock.

Trigger to light for a carry or HD gun but you can tune the trigger weight by using different connectors. The trigger return spring is a torsion spring made out of .029 diameter wire. I have some .032 wire and I think I will make a spring out of .032 and see what it feels like with a slightly heaver trigger return spring. It defiantly makes the G19 into more of a fun range toy.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Yeah its obvious looking at this video and studying the design that none of the safety's are being defeated. As long as the trigger is working properly.

I just put this together, it's quick and dirty but maybe it will help understand the lack of a drop safety.

I should add here (I put it in the description of the video but that doesn't show if watched within the forum) - a LOT has to go wrong to actually discharge the weapon with a drop, it's not going to be common but because they are entirely dependent on only the spring to ensure the engagement of the firing pin lug it is possible. What is more likely would be the firing pin hits the firing pin safety. That is why I will still use the trigger in a range gun.

I don't think it will take much for Timney to fix the sticking issue and I fully expect a company like theirs will come up with some sort of a solution to the drop safety. We'll see how long it takes for version 2 to come out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just put this together, it's quick and dirty but maybe it will help understand the lack of a drop safety.

Yep youre right. As youve shown in that video the sear being independent of the trigger bar raises another issue. That spring could depress by a strong whack to the butt. My trigger however hasnt stuck once on me but it came from the factory adjusted with too little take up and was pressing on the plunger safety right out of the box. I had to back out the trigger adjustment screw almost all the way to free it up. Hmmm ya got me rethinking this trigger. Definitely wont be carrying it. Like you said "range use only" until they rethink this. Thanks man you rock.

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Excellent analysis and video MtStream...

I'm curious to see how the USPSA handles this new Timney trigger... USPSA rules require the primary safety to function... On a Glock the trigger safety is the primary safety, so it seems that it will meet their rules criteria... Interesting to see if they tighten things up after the CZ disaster earlier this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its been my experience that if something is possible however unlikely to go wrong it will. Murphys law pretty much. As was shown it would take a whack to the gun to depress the spring and sear (I guess its called) then a depressed trigger at the same time to go boom. Well there's a lot of scenarios I can think of for this to occur. But my brain is already thinking of ways designs to make it 100% drop safe. So I am sure Timney has too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts