Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I couldn't tell from the video if there was a weapon in the BG's hand or not. There was only the voice telling me it was so.

I also noticed the cop was drawing while backing up. We're always told that's a big 'no-no' in class...yet it worked here.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I couldn't tell from the video if there was a weapon in the BG's hand or not. There was only the voice telling me it was so.

I also noticed the cop was drawing while backing up. We're always told that's a big 'no-no' in class...yet it worked here.
Training is based on theory. Instructors have different theories on what will/won't work. Or else they themselves have been taught different theories. It doesn't matter who you are or who trained you there is no one answer to everything.

My theory on this situation is this. Had it been a firearm get in closer to the guy while drawing mine. This is much easier said than done and requires lots of practice but if done quickly and correctly it makes it more difficult for the BG to get his in play. I also would not recommend this to a person not wearing a bullet resistant vest. A knife that is already being slashed at me especially my head/neck area however is another story. Gain distance, but in either case meet deadly force with deadly force.

Some people will agree with this and some will not. Like I said, it is all based on training, experience, and the theory behind whatever training you have had. Also, the officer had a bit of a advantage knowing he was possibly going into a real bad situation. This gave him time to think as he was pulling up about what he could/should do.

I am not going to monday morning quarterback the Officer, only to say I saw a couple of things I would have TRIED to do differently leading up to the back of the trunk. The outcome would have probably been the same ( at least I hope it would have in terms of the officer's safety) as the perp appears to be intent on what he was doing. But again that also gets into different training, and theory in practice. So being trained differently by a different person would give me no right to second guess the Officer's actions even if I wanted to. He did as he was trained to do and it seems to have worked well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
......I also noticed the cop was drawing while backing up. We're always told that's a big 'no-no' in class...yet it worked here.
The term is "Getting off the X". I practice drawing and moving and also shooting on the move. Just like the officer in the video, you never know when you are going to use it. You all stay safe out there.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
With my limited training, I have always been told to get off the spot where you're standing, or as Sheepdog said, get off the X. Don't stand there in one spot. Move. Move backwards, left, right, up down, whatever, just move.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A moving target is always harder to hit than a stationary one. That being said, always add in some shooting on the move drill when I shoot, range permitting that is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.