Glock Pro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres a roomer that ive heard and investigated for myself that a plug in the grip will make reloads smoother by helping the magazine into the mag well if your aim is off a bit. but thats incorrect. atleast in Gen 3 Glocks. (this thread may or may not ring true for all generations).

glock pistols have a wall that seperates the backstrap side and the magwell side in the grip and that dividing wall is not flush with the bottom of the grip for two reasons.

the first reason is in case the magazine is jammed in the gun or perhaps you experienced a double feed and have to RIP the magazine out. that hole in the bottom of the grip allows for your thumb to go up into the grip and get a nice grip on the back of the magazine to pull it out. and with a plug that is no longer possible.

the second reason that i think is the biggest missunderstanding is that a plug will help slide the mag in because it would for some reason get caught on that diving walls edge other wise if your aim was off. but a simple test of trying to get the mag to catch on that edge with a loaded magazine will prove that if anything a plug in the bottom of your glock will only help direct your magazine off course of the magwell if you run into it with the magazine. the recessed dividing wall and the surrounding grip walls act like a funnel that draws your magazine into the mag well if you hit them.

and then theres also the purpose of foreign object drainage.

this all adds up to a grip plug in the gun doing more harm then good. remember just because they sell it dosent mean your gun needs it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting theories. I like my grip plug in my carry G26 to prevent crap from getting in. On a range gun I wouldnt use one for the reasons you stated.
yeah keeping junk OUT seems to be the only benefit of the plug. and for some that may be a good enough reason to over look the dissadvantages.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I do agree with the Major once again on his post. My research results match his right down the line. I've said it many times I leave my Glock stock If Gaston and his R & D Dept. thought a plug was needed it would be on the pistol from the factory.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
the only reason i bought a grip plug for my gen3 g19 is because it does indeed smooth mag changes. i really didn't like plugging up the drainage channel, but i can't foresee my glock ever being submerged in anything. i got the jentra brand one, not sure how well others work in this regard.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the only reason i bought a grip plug for my gen3 g19 is because it does indeed smooth mag changes. i really didn't like plugging up the drainage channel, but i can't foresee my glock ever being submerged in anything. i got the jentra brand one, not sure how well others work in this regard.
having somthing litterally blocking a portion of the mag well can only make mag changes worse. you took an opening of size A and reduced it down to size B. same gun..same mags...just now it has less opening to feed the mags into..

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
having somthing litterally blocking a portion of the mag well can only make mag changes worse. you took an opening of size A and reduced it down to size B. same gun..same mags...just now it has less opening to feed the mags into..
the mag well opening size has remained unchanged. the jentra plug merely partially fills in the crescent arch at the back of the magwell. this is where the mags were slightly hanging up on me.

they're not for everyone, but i can perform mag changes slightly faster with the plug.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the mag well opening size has remained unchanged. the jentra plug merely partially fills in the crescent arch at the back of the magwell. this is where the mags were slightly hanging up on me.

they're not for everyone, but i can perform mag changes slightly faster with the plug.
yeah to each there own but the crescent shaped backstrap part on the grip actually acts like a ramp if you miss the magwell..and even if this werent true i dont see how hitting a flat plug would aid in the magazine insertion.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I never paid them much mind until I found one I liked on GT. I bought it and liked it. Unfortunately, when I went to order more the guy closed up shop and took everyone's money including mine.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I like the plugs on my 22 and 26. No problems so far. Just dissappointed that no one is making them for the Gen 4 19, yet.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have read articles that recommend the plugs to keep debris out of the pistol. It makes sense to me and I have them in each of my Glocks. I am not concerned with split second mag changes. I am concerned about lint and other trash.

Also, if you buy one, there are different sizes for G17, G26, and G21SF. One size does not fit all.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Blame it all on Glocky's pencil!

·
Registered
443 Posts
My point is Ted if Gaston thought his product needed a plug he would of added a plug. Also I do not get your point. What does a plug have to do with carrying a sidearm period?
I think it's pretty obvious. Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't. That's not very logical. You carry a sidearm "just in case" you may need it. I use a plug in my pistol just in case something might find its way into the channel. A plug is cheap insurance.

And, Gaston didn't include steel sights, or steel triggers, and yet people buy them "just in case" the plastic ones break. Gaston didn't supply night sights because he didn't think anyone would use a Glock in low light? Not supplying a plug has nothing to do with practicality. It has to do with costs. That's my point.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.