Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texans can carry handguns without a license or training starting Sept. 1, after Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday signed the permitless carry bill into law.

House Bill 1927 eliminates the requirement for Texas residents to obtain a license to carry handguns if they’re not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a gun.

The signing was reported by the Texas Legislature's official website, which tracks the progress of legislation. Abbott's office has announced a ceremonial signing of the bill and other gun-related legislation at 11 a.m. Thursday.

Abbott's signature seals a win to conservative activists who have long sought the measure without success.

Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and other Republicans who were initially noncommittal about the bill were under immense political pressure this session from conservatives and gun rights advocates, who have long lobbied the Texas Legislature for permitless carry but historically struggled to win support.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Cool... That's good news!

That and the legalization of Assault weapons in California is a win win!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The only down side to this is those people that now do not need to do any training or apply for a CCW LICENSE will not take the time to learn they are in violation of many other states laws that they travel into with out a valid Texas CCW license that has reciprocity with Texas.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As is everything with life, the onus is on the owner, which I suspect you are correct in your statement.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The only down side to this is those people that now do not need to do any training or apply for a CCW LICENSE will not take the time to learn they are in violation of many other states laws that they travel into with out a valid Texas CCW license that has reciprocity with Texas.
Yup..and many won't take the time to learn, train, do anything with their new HG except strap it on and begin to carry it.
'Some' say 8-9MILLION new gun owners, many in Texas. A LOT don't know anything about their gun, and won't do anything but buy that holster and strap it on....
Even tho the 'training', if required for a CCWP, 'might' be worthless..like mine was in Colorado. $90 and a waste of time..At least it was 'something'.

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
I learned in school. Hunter’s safety (shotgun), JROTC marksmanship training and a competition rifle team.

The value of the Texas course is learning the laws. There was no firearm training other than the “proficiency” test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I renewed my carry permit last month, I did so only to be safe if I get in a situation, and legitimacy is required.

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
I renewed my carry permit last month, I did so only to be safe if I get in a situation, and legitimacy is required.
Reciprocity is a big one for me. We go camping in neighboring states so it’s nice to be able to carry there. My wife is getting her Texas carry permit now for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Font Technology Display device Multimedia Event

·
Registered
96 Posts
What 'carry permit'?? For Texas?
With not getting a CCW permit and doing the constitutional carry you do not receive 100% 2A rights...list of following you do not have rights without a permit...
Carry in 37 Other Sates
Bypass Background Checks when Purchasing Firearms
Carry in Federal Gun Free School Zones
Carry in Hospitals, Nursing Facilities, or Amusement Parks*
Carry in Public Place With Any Type of "No Firearm" Sign Posted
Legal Protections When Carrying at Certain Prohibited Locations
Carry inside College Campus Buildings and at College Sporting Events*
Airport Protections
Room of an Open Meeting of a Governmental Entity

·
Registered
149 Posts
With not getting a CCW permit and doing the constitutional carry you do not receive 100% 2A rights...list of following you do not have rights without a permit...
Carry in 37 Other Sates
Bypass Background Checks when Purchasing Firearms
Carry in Federal Gun Free School Zones
Carry in Hospitals, Nursing Facilities, or Amusement Parks*
Carry in Public Place With Any Type of "No Firearm" Sign Posted
Legal Protections When Carrying at Certain Prohibited Locations
Carry inside College Campus Buildings and at College Sporting Events*
Airport Protections
Room of an Open Meeting of a Governmental Entity

I had no idea..since you must get a CCWP(Concealed Carry Weapons Permit) in Colorado to CCW..and you get none of the above with it..

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had no idea..since you must get a CCWP(Concealed Carry Weapons Permit) in Colorado to CCW..and you get none of the above with it..
Yep, new to me also, but I am from Florida...a semi free state...no open carry or constitutional carry. That beats all too since we have had a Republican governor, state house and senate for years now. Goes to show you how strong Disney and the Florida Tourist Bureau is!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts