Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got to the range to play around with my new plinker/trainer. I shot 200 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag HV after wiping down the factory oil and applying BreakFree CLP to the recommended spots (this was not their recommended lube, though). Used their 10 round magazine though I still wish I had their 15 round. Did an equal amount of shooting 2-hand, strong and weak hand. Things I learned so far:

 Decent accuracy for me. Centered nicely and I shot a 8” group at 25 yards. A lot of that is me and I’m sure the kit, when benched, could shoot tighter groups. I also flinch. A little. I learned this because…
 I had about a dozen malfunctions – failure to feeds (FTF). Simple re-rack without the magazine tap did the trick.
 Also had 3 failure to extracts, which makes me wonder if this slide likes to run with a little more lube than a Glock slide.
 Even with a stock Glock frame, the trigger pull felt a tinyyyy bit lighter and maybe a little crisper at the break, compared to the stock slide. Maybe it’s the TSG-22’s firing pin spring or the sear.
 Detail stripping is easier than I first expected. See my first post. It’s easier to remove the firing pin assembly now, just takes a simple tap, but you still need that hex driver.
 I was able to get away without having to use loc-tite. My kit came with some kind of loc-tite equivalent but I decided not to use it, and the screws stayed tight after 200 rounds.

Lastly:

 Switching back to the stock slide makes me feel like I’m firing a hand cannon. I’ll make a point of firing at least 50 rounds of 9 mm ammo at the end of a 22LR session.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Switching back to the stock slide makes me feel like I'm firing a hand cannon. I'll make a point of firing at least 50 rounds of 9 mm ammo at the end of a 22LR session.
Excellent practice to get into ... finishing with centerfire.

Thanks for the report.

The frequency of malfunctions with rimfire conversions (in pistols anyway) has always been a turn off for me. My previous TacSol kit for 1911s wasn't as finicky as your GLOCK kit ... it was quite reliable actually. However, knowing the potential issues and given the cost of the kits I think I'll pass. I have a Buckmark for when I want to shoot Rimfire (not very often). I understand and agree the kits have a niche as trainers ... utilizing your existing carry holsters, etc. The feel is different enough though in the trigger, recoil, sights, etc. that you might as well just be shooting a dedicated rimfire pistol that is reliable and costs the same (or less) than the kit.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, Vol. I agree that there are tradeoffs, but for me the greatest benefit is to be able to practice my draw strokes and forming grips -- one hand, two hand, strong-to-weak hand transfers. The more I practice, the more there is to learn.

I understand the argument that one can get a dedicated rimfire pistol for the same $$, but the feel will be completely different.

On the same note, there's a good post on pistol-training.com
http://pistol-training.com/archives/2302

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.