Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the rarest Glocks showed up on Gunbroker with the wrong description. Unfortunately (for me) it was spotted by some serious collectors and a discussion started on the GT Collectors forum. It's now at $3,775 and the seller is wondering what the heck happened!!!

Background: Gen1 17L Glocks had ported barrels, but being designed for competitions, shooters were loading 9mm super hot trying to make major. So hot that they were cracking the barrels and Glock was replacing them with non-ported barrels. This made Gen1 17Ls with ported barrels fairly rare to find today. Glock released the Gen1 17L with a DBxxx serial number and later an EDxxx serial number. During the EDxxx run they switched to Gen2. That made Gen1 EDxxx a short run. A Gen2 EDxxx is also a short run BUT this is the time Glock also stopped using the ported 17L barrel so a Gen2 17L with a ported barrel . . . hard to find!

Hand Finger Rectangle Electronic device Font
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood stain

Rectangle Gun barrel Trigger Gas Machine
Pen Writing implement Office supplies Bumper Wood

Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior Carbon Rim

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts
First time I've seen a Glock 17L with a ported barrel... Mine is a Gen 3... Probably worth about $3,000 less than the one on Gunbroker... :-(

·
Administrator
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate to tell you this JB but your gun may not even be worth $3,000 less than that one.

I was thinking that gun would end in the low $4k range but there are some heavy hitters that don’t have one in their collections and haven’t entered the bidding yet. It’s hard to tell what they are really thinking but this could get fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rest of the story - this auction turned out to be a lesson in auctions. The auction was originally mislabeled as a Gen1 instead of Gen2. It actually didn’t matter as it is such a rare piece that it is worth more than a Gen1 - and the guys bidding were known collectors who were very aware of what it was.

I was hearing of numbers over $10k having been offered to the seller.

Gunbroker then contacted the seller because someone had complained about it being mislabeled. The seller confirmed this was correct and that he’d posted the correction in the description but couldn’t change the title.

I guess Gunbroker got scared about the price and cancelled the auction telling the seller he could re-list it.

Between the time it was cancelled and re-listed, the conversations about it turned negative, a lot of folks thought something was up and started getting nervous.

The action definitely slowed down on the 2nd listing, then, with only an hour or so left a bidder with NR started bidding big - this can be the death nail for an auction. After the NR some bidders nobody recognized with low ratings jumped in and talk of shills kept happening. It looks like this drove the big guns out as they never posted bids.

The gun sold to a known collector for $4,100. Almost $1,000 less than that same collector had bid in the first listing.

To be honest, that’s where I originally had thought the gun would sell but there was a lot of hype and excitement that was clearly lost with the re-listing. I feel really bad for the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.