Glock Pro Forums banner

suggestions

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  sfguard 
#1 ·
I am a security officer looking to buy my first duty weapon, obviously a glock and i prefer compacts. I pretty familiar with 9 mill and 40 cals, but am willing to learn new things. Any suggestions???

#5 ·
Only a few poeple will say .40 Im starting to wonder if its there lack of proficiency with one i would take either Im a good shot with both more power i would go .40 less power and recoil go 9mm

#6 · (Edited)
I don't pick .40 caliber in any firearm over a 9mm. The ballistics aren't that much greater while the 9mm is much more controllable. I have owned .40 caliber in many different firearm models and manufacturers, including GLOCK and I usually sell them pretty quickly. 9mm is also cheaper when purchasing ammo and when we are discussing GLOCKS specifically, as the OP stated he wanted, their bread and butter is the 9mm.

#8 ·
I would suggest either the G19 or the G23. That would also depend on how much $ you want to spend on ammo for the range. 40 is more expensive.

#12 ·
For target ammo I can buy the yellow 250 Mega Pack of 9mm for $52.00 + tax. It can be found slightly cheaper online if you buy 500 or 1,000 rounds at a time but you also have to factor in shipping.

#13 · (Edited)
For target ammo I can buy the yellow 250 Mega Pack of 9mm for $52.00 + tax. It can be found slightly cheaper online if you buy 500 or 1,000 rounds at a time but you also have to factor in shipping.
yes i can get the same thing in .40 for 68$ as u can see not that much more like poeple think

#9 ·
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums!

Since you work for a security firm, it might be wort seeing what the other security officers at your firm are carrying.

I would agree with the people that said Glock 17 and 19. Those are the two Glocks that I have and I am fond of them both. I believe the Glock 19 is Glocks most popular hamdgun... doesn't seem like you could go wrong with a 19...

#10 ·
Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion the Glock 19 is the "best" all around Glock.

---
I don't choose .40SW because I don't see where it offers enough improvement over the 9mm to make up for the deficiencies that it brings. I am plenty proficient with it

#14 ·
Well it's relative. Depending on how much one shoots, it may add up quick. That's a $16.00 difference per 250 rounds. If someone buys 1,000 rounds, that's $64.00, or another entire box of 250 round 9mm with enough change left over for lunch.

Defensive ammo is usually where there is even more of a gap between 9mm and .40 cal cost.

#17 ·
Again, I typically don't buy 10-20 rounds at a time. Here is a decent example, in my 2 minutes worth of searching. I often purchase from www.ammunitiontogo.com

FMJ Ammo
1,000 rounds of Winchester White Box 9mm is $279.95.
1,000 rounds of Winchester White Box 40 Cal is $339.95

A difference of $60.00 and that's not even the cheapest 9mm ammo that they have.
Fiocchi is $239.95 per 1,000 rounds of 9mm
Dynamit Nobel is $199.95 per 1,000 rounds of 9mm
Winchester Ranger Nato is $219.95 pere 1,000 rounds of 9mm

When you move into JHP ammo
On sale is Federal HSTs ammo. Looking at the heavier grain 9mm +p, it's the same price as standard HSTs in .40 cal at $264.95

Gold Dots - 9mm is $10.00 cheaper per 500 rounds

So there clearly is no conspiracy theory but rather facts and data to review and verify. Generally speaking, 9mm ammo is cheaper then .40 cal ammo. There is always going to be a sale or a special find where .40 might be the same as or even slightly cheaper but generally speaking, 9mm is going to be less.

#20 ·
FMJ Ammo
1,000 rounds of Winchester White Box 9mm is $279.95.
1,000 rounds of Winchester White Box 40 Cal is $339.95

A difference of $60.00 and that's not even the cheapest 9mm ammo that they have.
Fiocchi is $239.95 per 1,000 rounds of 9mm
Dynamit Nobel is $199.95 per 1,000 rounds of 9mm
Winchester Ranger Nato is $219.95 pere 1,000 rounds of 9mm

When you move into JHP ammo
On sale is Federal HSTs ammo. Looking at the heavier grain 9mm +p, it's the same price as standard HSTs in .40 cal at $264.95

Gold Dots - 9mm is $10.00 cheaper per 500 rounds

So there clearly is no conspiracy theory but rather facts and data to review and verify. Generally speaking, 9mm ammo is cheaper then .40 cal ammo. There is always going to be a sale or a special find where .40 might be the same as or even slightly cheaper but generally speaking, 9mm is going to be less.[/QUOTE]

CASE CLOSED GOING WITH THE 19!!! GONNA GO PICK UP POPPA'S NEW TOY THIS FRIDAY!!! THANKS FOR THE INPUT MEN! NOW ANY ADVICE FOR BREAKIN IN THE NEW PIECE?

#21 ·
yeah that just put the knife in the coffin for me too, im gonna go pick one up this week at my local range. as far as "breaking in" your new piece, just shoot the hell outta it. People might try to suggest throwing the slide back and forth a zillion times, or leaving the slide locked back over night. I think thats a little farfetched, just my opinion tho. Goodluck to you brotherman!

#22 ·
Field strip it. Takes about 6 drops of oil in the right places and it should be broke in. The action on a Glock is loose. There isn't a break in period unlike some with real tight actions. I have seen some 1911s that even after 500 rounds we still couldn't hardly get the bushing off. Your Glock however, will be ready to go right out of the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.