Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to suggest more descriptions of what is to be included in each sub-forum. For instance, on most sights I visit I visit the following sections more frequently ....

training (class AARs, recommendations, drills/techniques, etc.)
gear (holsters, belts, packs, knives, etc.)
classifieds

I posted a couple of holster reviews earlier and really wasn't sure where to put them. Same for the training post I made last night.

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts
Good idea... Advanced users like you want the precision of detailed forums for particular topics, while most new users post everything in the forum's main forum. Check out how many threads there are in the "Glock" forum and then look at the others.

I like more detailed forums and sub forums, too... It makes it easier to find something later on.

I'm just giving my opinion... It's up to Rob of course...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like more detailed forums and sub forums, too... It makes it easier to find something later on.
Exactly. Some forums go into too much detail. M4C for instance has some pretty good main categories but some then take you down a level and split off even more. I don't think all that is necessary.

I like categories like;
training
carry related issues
holsters/belts/support gear
knives/lights/etc
long guns
nfa items

I also don't think it's necessary to keep things like accessories and holsters/gear split off in the GLOCK forum as most any recommendation/review would also apply to other firearm makers.

Again, not criticism ... just suggestion. I like this site a lot. I'm glad to be here.

·
None
1,480 Posts
Lets make sure we are all on the same page as far as terminology.

By subforums do y'all mean different sections such as the Main, Glock, Vendor, Other, and Classifieds, or do you mean like when you click on Non-Glock Firearms and find the "Long Guns" option?

----

Looks like Rob is using Sections, Forums, and Sub-forums.

I'd rather have stuff broken into individual forums rather than a bunch of sub-forums within a forum.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am specifically discussing the sub-forums under each of the ones jlweems mentioned.

Main, Glock, etc. is all good (except maybe moving Vendor from it's current location to just above the Classifieds). It's what is under each of those where I would rec some tweaks.

·
None
1,480 Posts
Rob had indicated that he wants to use the blog feature for some of the subject matter mentioned in this thread, but the new blog entries don't show when using the "new post" feature or when clicking "What's New?" You have to actively look for new blog posts.

I like using the blog feature, but I also recognize that not everyone is checking the blogs.

There are some special categories in the blog that are similar to tagging a post. For instance, someone could select the "training" category and find all of the blog entries dealing with training provided they were put in the correct category.

Users can also select the "Blog this Post" option at the bottom left hand of any regular forum post and make that post a blog entry as well.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear you and did the BLOG thing after you suggested it to me. However, if it is some place else you have to go to look for info I fear it will get lost. I wasn't checking BLOGs so I missed a bunch of good info you have posted already. I would like to see now BLOG entries appear with new posts. Honestly, not sure what the benefit is of having them separate from posts to begin with. If it's a TAGGING thing then TAG regular posts.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
New blogs are listed along the left side of every forum page - I can also put the latest 3 or 4 (or whatever) on the main page like classifieds are and latest threads..

Vol: As far as setting up the forums in a more organized way, list it out how you'd like to see it and i'll change it up.. it's your idea :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "Non Glock Handguns" section has a sub forum for long guns as well as NFA. Should that section be "Non Glock Firearms"?
I thought the same thing initially. I think he wanted the main forum to be handguns and all else went in to subs. Had it been me I would have left it NON-GLOCK HANDGUNS and rather than subforums for the LONG GUNS and NFA ITEMS would have made them on the same level as NON-GLOCK HANDGUNS and visible from the main screen.

.... but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
I like the new look. Thanks Vol for taking them time, and Thanks Rob for doing the work. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.