Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just received my new Streamlight TLR-1s from LAPoliceGear.com and I thought I'd share an early review with everyone. Having previously owned a TLR-2 (light with laser) I know the Streamlight products to be durable and well made. I had no complaints with the TLR-2 but I have decided to start carrying my GLOCK 19 with an attached weapon mounted light as soon as my Comp-Tac holster arrives and I wanted the TLR-1s as it was slightly smaller in overall profile. The current price for the TLR-1s is $99.99 at LAPoliceGear.com. The TLR-1(non strobe) is actually a few dollars more and has less light output. (see below) In comparison, the TLR-2 is currently listed at $259.00.

I'll start by saying again, how happy I am with LAPoliceGear.com. I ordered the light from them on the 2nd of November at 1:30 AM and even with Ground shipping which can take between 5 - 7 days to make it from the West Coast to the East Coast, I received the light today on the 8th. The product arrived well boxed and secure so that no damage could happen to the light. Everything was in the actual product packaging as described on the Streamlight website, which includes;

• The TLR-1s Light itself
  • Two CR-123 Batteries
  • Several different mounting rail keys for GLOCK (or Universal), 1913 Mil-Standard, Picatinny, S&W - TSW & 99, and Beretta 90two. Each rail key is clearly marked to identify what it fits.
  • Mounting screw and locking nut with Allen head tool for installation.
  • Instruction manual in English, Spanish, French and German.
Drink Wood Drinkware Box Tin

The TLR-1"s" add a strobe functionality, and actually has a higher Lumen Output than the standard TLR-1 (non strobe). The standard version has 135 Lumens while the TLR-1s has 160. I had read some reviews on the TLR-1s beforee purchasing it and a few people had mentioned that they had a terrible time activating the strobe function. Basically, you must push down on the activation switch once and then again within about half a second to activate the strobe. Now granted, I'm not in a life threatening scenario right now but the activation of the strobe is actually quite simple and easily accomplished using either the momentary activation or the constant on switch. I really can't see why people were having such a hard time with it unless they had accidentally de-activated the strobe feature all together, which is another option on the light. By pressing the momentary switch down 9 times and then holding it down on the tenth, the strobe feature will de-activate. Repeating those steps will re-activate the feature. Personally, I really like the strobe feature as it adds the ability to disorient an attacker in a low light situation. Having a very bright light shown in one's face when the pupils are wide open is bad enough but adding strobe to it will all but stop someone in their tracks.

Hand Automotive lighting Camera accessory Gadget Wood

The TLR-1s comes serialized to help the owner keep track of it and has everything you need to get it mounted and ready to help protect you in a low/no light situation. Mounting the weapon light is quick and simple with the quick mounting attachment that comes standard on the light. There is a large mounting screw that can easily be turned by hand for the initial mounting and then a slot for a penny or dime that can tighten the screw down nice and tight. For a more permanent mounting option, the light comes with a set screw and nut/washer that will all you to mount it to the weapon using the included Allen wrench.

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

With the light mounted on my GLOCK 19, there obviously is a different weight balance to the firearm. I haven't had a chance to shoot it with the light attached yet but I don't think it will cause me much issue, and might actually help with follow up shots given the extra weight at the front of the firearm. The light with batteries adds 4.18 ounces. Before switching over to GLOCK, my daily carry was a full size all steel 1911, weighing in at 42 ounces empty so the added 4 ounces isn't going to make much of a difference to me. Another feature that I like with the light mounted is that it acts as a standoff for the end of the barrel. Pressing a firearm up against someone will often cause the slide to move back slightly, depending on the firearm make and model, and in some case can cause the firearm not to fire when then trigger is pulled. With the light on, it sticks out past the barrel by approximately an inch, negating this issue. It would probably not feel very good against someone's face or driven into their chest either! While it doesn't have a so called strike bezel like some hand-held lights do, its round metal housing would probably get the job done.

Camera accessory Air gun Trigger Gas Gun accessory

The light must be taken off the firearm for the batteries to be installed/changed and the cover is VERY tight, to keep out moisture and debris. In is actually a little bit of a pain to get the battery door open but I'd rather it be nice and tight than let moisture in and ruin the light. The light is also documented to be waterproof in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes. This is good if you end up having to take a swim as a LEO but I'm not sure how often I plan on going into waist deep water as a civilian while carrying my firearm. I guess it's nice to know it's an option though! Streamlight claims 2.5 hours of constant run time for the light. On my previous TLR-2, I know I had the light for over a year on the batteries it came with and they were still working nice and bright. Streamlight also sells attachments that will allow the owner to add a pressure switch that can be mounted on the grip of a pistol or forend of a rifle. I like the idea but this requires you to purchase a special battery cover that will accept the pressure switch, and the pressure switch itself. The pressure switch is currently listed at $34.95 and the remote door switch is $36.20. Approximately $70.00 plus shipping for a light that cost $99.00. Streamlight also sell lens filters for the TLR lights in Red, Blue, Green and Infared for the uber-cool tactical ninjas!

Tool Gas Bumper Auto part Carbon

For those that don't already know, I also have two separate holsters on order that will allow for a weapon mounted light to be carried. First, the Comp-Tac belt holster which I ordered a few days ago. I am a really big fan of all Comp-Tac products and I have no doubt that I will like this new holster as well. Comp-Tac currently has a pretty limited selection of firearms and lights that is makes holsters for, the GLOCK/TLR1 combination being one of them. The current Comp-Tac production times is 4 days which compared to many other manufacturers is unheard of. Also, Comp-Tac's customer service is second to none, and they almost always include a few Smartees Candy with your holster order as an added benefit for those with a sweet tooth like me. They have a 30 day guarantee on their holsters as well, but I have never had a need to take advantage of that. The cost of the Comp-Tac belt holster for the GLOCK and TLR is just over $100.00 including shipping.

www.comp-tac.com

Second up is the Raven Phantom LC (Light Compatible). This is my first order of a Raven product but they come highly recommended. The wait/production time is much greater, at approximately 12-14 weeks. The cost was approximately the same at $100.00 give or take a dollar or so. The Raven sets itself apart from the Comp-Tac in the fact that the attachments are modular on this holster, allowing the user to switch between OWB and IWB, and even offer multiple attachments for each type of mounting needs. I like this feature as it allows me to have much more control over how I want to use the holster, and keeps me from needing to purchase multiple holsters to do different things. I plan on doing a review on both holsters once I have them in hand and have had a few days to try them on.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html

Finally, once I have my holster and have had some practice getting used to the combination, I plan on taking a low light class so I can learn how to properly use my new tools to protect myself and my family. I am a big believer in training and feel that no one can have too much "quality" training when it comes to firearms and their uses.

Reactions: __jb

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Cool! Do the advertised lumen decrease over time or just go from full lumens to "dead" like the Shurfires I have had?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! Do the advertised lumen decrease over time or just go from full lumens to "dead" like the Shurfires I have had?
I am not sure but keep in mind that these lights are LED. I have handhelds that are both LED and standard bulb. The bulbs seem to burn our somewhat regularly and eat up batteries faster. The LED last much longer and I have never had to replace an LED light.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I ordered one of these today as well. I can't let you outdo me. lol.
Glad you like it. Great review. Now, let's put them to some actual use and update this post. The only low-light class I've taken we used hand held lights. I would be anxious to do another with a pistol mounted light -and- a hand held.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
So I just received my new Streamlight TLR-1s from LAPoliceGear.com and I thought I'd share an early review with everyone.
Excellent write-up, theLaw!

Lots of good information here... Can't wait for you to get the holsters and see how everythging works together...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
hmmm interesting question. i haven't noticed any decrease in brightness with my pre-strobe TRL-1 (i use it to scare off the skunks in my back yard lol)
I was wondering what you had come up with for that.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I was wondering what you had come up with for that.
they don't hang aroundmuch anymore--those mothballs i laid around the house really work! they hang out for a maybe 15minutes, then leave (the bright lights hurt their nocturnal eyes, but i don't have to use the TRL that often).

......funny, they don't mind the rotten stench eminating from themselves, but the smell of mothballs offends them lol.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
That is funny. I still think it would have been more amusing for you to sneak up on them getting real close then sting them on the butt with a BB gun. Maybe not for you but it would have made a awesome internet story. It would have rated up there probably just under the mall ninja if written up right.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
TheLaw said:
So I just received my new Streamlight TLR-1s from LAPoliceGear.com and I thought I'd share an early review with everyone. Having previously owned a TLR-2 (light with laser) I know the Streamlight products to be durable and well made.
Been thinking about getting a weapon light for quite a while... Reread your review again tonight... Went out to LA Police Gear and the TLR-1s was still on sale for $99... Hard to beat that! I had to buy one, too!

Great writeup Mr. Law! ...and thanks for the tip on LA Police Gear... I would never have thought of them for a weapon mounted flashlight...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been thinking about getting a weapon light for quite a while... Reread your review again tonight... Went out to LA Police Gear and the TLR-1s was still on sale for $99... Hard to beat that! I had to buy one, too!

Great writeup Mr. Law! ...and thanks for the tip on LA Police Gear... I would never have thought of them for a weapon mounted flashlight...
Thanks __jb,

I'm happy with the light. I'm still waiting for my holster as I did not like the Comp-Tac mounted light version. I will probably order another holster from a manufacturer that (guess who - VOL) found. The wait time is only a couple of weeks. My Raven should be here in around 6 weeks so I haven't decided if I just want to wait.

LaPoliceGear.com is a great sight. They sell lots of items from clothing, knives, lights, paracord, rain gear, holsters, etc.. The issue is it's hard to go there and just buy one thing. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
hmmmm....i wonder if the TRL-1 with the strobe feature would give my backyard skunks seizures....:cool:
I wonder...

Lord knows what odors might escape if that happens... :(

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Thanks __jb,

I'm happy with the light. I'm still waiting for my holster as I did not like the Comp-Tac mounted light version. I will probably order another holster from a manufacturer that (guess who - VOL) found. The wait time is only a couple of weeks. My Raven should be here in around 6 weeks so I haven't decided if I just want to wait.

LaPoliceGear.com is a great sight. They sell lots of items from clothing, knives, lights, paracord, rain gear, holsters, etc.. The issue is it's hard to go there and just buy one thing. :)
I read your holster review. Disappointing that it wasn''t what you were hoping for...

My holster plans are simple... I'm going to wait until you and Vol find holsters that you like... then I'm going to buy one... :)

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vol has ordered from these guys before;
http://calsentllc.com/page04.html

He says they are pretty good holsters with the exception of the way the loops mount, which was easily fixed for less than $2.00 at Lowes/Home Depot.

Their turn around time is approx. 3 weeks the last I checked. This is the company I am thinking I might order a holster for, before my Raven gets here. If I really like the Cloak, I could always cancel the Raven, or change it to something else. I just need to save all my pennies right now so I can get the wife the IPAD. If I get one of these, I'll let you know what I think.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Vol has ordered from these guys before;
http://calsentllc.com/page04.html

He says they are pretty good holsters with the exception of the way the loops mount, which was easily fixed for less than $2.00 at Lowes/Home Depot.
They look like nice holsters.

Not sure why the coyote tan holsters need to be thicker than all the others, though...

Their turn around time is approx. 3 weeks the last I checked. This is the company I am thinking I might order a holster for, before my Raven gets here. If I really like the Cloak, I could always cancel the Raven, or change it to something else. I just need to save all my pennies right now so I can get the wife the IPAD. If I get one of these, I'll let you know what I think.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.