Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for my G27. It's extended and threaded with the threadsaver included. I'm looking forward to some less-expensive shooting on the range. Does anyone have any experience with Storm Lake? Any comments with regard to reliability or quality? I researched as much as I could, and it seems like Storm Lake and Lone Wolf are similar in quality. Are there any negatives to using an aftermarket barrel in my G27?

·
Registered
144 Posts
the breechface is still machined for the 40cal, just use it for the range rather than defense, and you're good to go :)
+1 and different ejectors. Many never have a problem but a agree for range use only. I have a LoneWolf 10mm barrel for my G20sf and bought for HardCast lead and its been 100% but when i carry its only stock. I found a dealer were i find SD .40 ammo cheaper than Wal-Mart target ammo. I bought a case of .40 from him great service.

http://www.sgammo.com/

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
+1 and different ejectors.
true, but he can put in a 9mm extractor if he wants. they're exactly the same except for the claw, and completely interchangeable. i know because glock mistakenly sent me a 40cal extractor to replace a bad one in my 9mm g19.

the difference between the two is so minor that i only found out when i started having failure to feed problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
true, but he can put in a 9mm extractor if he wants. they're exactly the same except for the claw, and completely interchangeable. i know because glock mistakenly sent me a 40cal extractor to replace a bad one in my 9mm g19.

the difference between the two is so minor that i only found out when i started having failure to feed problems.
Interesting, very good on your side to spot that saved you alot of grief. I suppose its just the different case
diameter's. I did Quality Control, Reliability Testing and Lab work my whole career. The intermittent problems are always the most difficult ones to find but i found a few things to get what i was looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Interesting, very good on your side to spot that saved you alot of grief. I suppose its just the different case
diameter's. I did Quality Control, Reliability Testing and Lab work my whole career. The intermittent problems are always the most difficult ones to find but i found a few things to get what i was looking for. Thanks
thank you my friend. i actually had to hold both extractors under a light and look at them very closely to notice the difference between the extractor claws. it's really difficult to notice. three certified glock armorers at the range couldn't figure it out lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use a Lone Wolf 40-9mm conversion barrel at the range. With mine there is no need to exchange the extractor at all. I have been shooting it for over a year with zero malfunctions. I would carry it as I know that it performs better than my friend's carry weapon. These are quality barrels, but like any gun you must shoot it enough to know if it is reliable enough to carry. I also own a Storm Lake 357sig conversion barrel for my Glock 27 as well. I haven't had it quite as long, but I've shot 500+ rounds through it so far. Because the extractor is the same as the 40s&w it probably is at least as reliable, if not more so, than the 40-9 conversion. I have carried it in this configuration because the 357sig round is a strong self defense round. I might buy an OEM Glock 357sig barrel in the future, but for now these are OK for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was also looking into purchasing either a Storm Lake or Lone Wolf barrel for my G27. I reload .40 for my M&P 40 and would like to do so for my G27. I've been told by some that these non OEM barrels have tighter tolerances, and also to be very careful firing reloads out of the OEM barrel. Any advice on either statement would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am wanting tro get a 40 to 9mm barell for my 27 also.....So, do I only have to purchase the barell and 9mm magazine? Is there any reason to change any other parts out?
This is also for range use only.

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just swap out the barrel and use a G26 mag--you'll be good to go. No other parts necessary.

I received my barrel and will post some pics later. . .my first impressions of the Storm Lake are very good--quality looks great and it fits perfectly (locks up with no "slop"). I wasn't looking for a threaded barrel, but that's what was available on GB and the price was right. . .it has the thread protector so it looks good when installed, and the extra barrel lengh should help ballistics a little.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G27 Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel--pics

Here are some pics of the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel for the G27 I recently purchased. I have NOT fired with this barrel yet, but hope to this weekend if the weather is decent. I have fired a borrowed LWD 9mm conversion barrel in my 27 without any issues.

I'm sure I'll be asked why SL instead of LWD. . .I really didn't have any real preference between the two--I knew that LWD worked in my gun and I was kinda looking for one of those, but I was looking to buy used on GunBroker and the right deal on this SL came up before an LWD did--simple as that. Also, I wasn't looking to buy a threaded barrel, but it turns out this one is and I figure the extra length will help out the grouping a little! This barrel also was packaged with a Glock 26 factory mag--the previous owner stated that he'd put about 25 rounds through it before he determined it wouldn't work with his suppressor. As you can see in the pics, it doesn't show much (if any) wear marks.

The quality looks comparable to the LWD that I used. . .I can't wait to try it out!

Pics:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Great Pics, love to hear how you like it after u get a chance to throw some rounds through her!
Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm looking for something along these lines as well. Did you buy from an individual, or from Lone wolf, or one of their distributors? This seems to be a really good price, especially with the mag. Love the looks of the extended length. Thanks again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm looking for something along these lines as well. Did you buy from an individual, or from Lone wolf, or one of their distributors? This seems to be a really good price, especially with the mag. Love the looks of the extended length. Thanks again.
I bought from an individual through Gunbroker.com. You should be able to find stock-length Storm Lake, Lone Wolf barrels for around the same price, new(minus the magazine). These barrels show up on Gunbroker fairly frequently. . .keep checking and you'll find one eventually. . .it took me a few weeks of watching.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: Last Sunday, the weather warmed up into the 40s so I got a chance to shoot the new Storm Lake barrel. I had some really old (like 20+ years) 9mm in varying types laying around in boxes in my basement. It turns out that some of it was some "antique" S&W-F rounds that just looked ugly--the casings were all corroded and discolored and the bullet was VERY small in size compared to the other brands I was shooting. . .It looked like it might have been some "bargain basement" stuff from the 80s but I can't be sure where I got it. What the hell. . .I'll try that stuff too!

I shot all the Winchester stuff (about 200 rounds), which included mostly FMJs and some Talon JHPs and had no issues whatsoever--the rounds ejected nicely into a pile about 4 feet away.

I saved the S&W-F stuff for last, figuring I'd have some problems. . .and I did. Out of fifty rounds of the S&W, I probably had 5 FTEs. It was so underpowered it seemed like I was shooting a .380. Who knew S&W even made ammo?

I'm real happy with the Storm Lake barrel--it worked great and was at least as accurate as the Glock barrel--I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. . .maybe a .357?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.