Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new fireproof, air tight, waterproof safe, and reading through the documentation, it states that guns should not be stored in it. When I contacted the manufacturer, they said that people do store guns in them frequently, but they hadn't tested the safe for gun storage. My question is, is there a possibility that I could harm my Glock by storing it in an air tight safe? The safe has silica gel in it, to absorb some of the moisture that might be in the air, and much of the time, the Glock is on my hip, and not in the safe. Thoughts? Issues? Concerns?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I don't think you would have a problem storing a firearm in it, especially with Silica. I know guys that use dehumidifiers as well. I suspect the manufacturer is just covering their butt, since its not rated for guns. I see this as a legal issue for them and not a physical disclaimer regarding harm done to the firearm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tactworld45, that's kind of what I thought as well, but wanted to get the opinion from a few other folks. Glocks are built like tanks, and are pretty hard to damage, so I wasn't too concerned. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It's interesting the way you said they answered, not tested for guns. Makes me wonder if they think an unloaded or loaded firearm inside a safe is just going to fire. I agree with the others on this one. Especially since you are saying that it's in the safe when it's not on your person there is little chance of corrosion or other long term storage problems setting in. I will say that yes I keep one loaded firearm in my safe in case someone "makes" me open it at least I can give myself a chance.

My Liberty Safe is fire and water rated as well but then again it is made for guns. Your local gun shop or Academy Sporting goods stores should have small containers of silica you can put inside to help protect but what you are describing that may not be necessary.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I'd also be wary of the words "proof" as in fireproof, waterproof etc..

Water and air is kept out of most safes by the rubber gasket that seals the door. Heat from a fire melts that rubber seal and it is no longer water and air tight. When we discuss fireproof, I've seen the remains of a "fireproof" safe after it sat in a pile of burning house remains. There wasn't much left of it so it clearly wasn't fireproof.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, nothing is "fireproof" as it's fire that forged the metals that made the safe. It's fire resistant, and in this case for a hour up to 1700 degrees. After that, all bets are off. And who knows what would happen to that gasket at 1700!?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The ratings that manufactures give their products, at least for the good ones, are factual. The very reason being talked about here is what made me buy a Liberty Gun Safe. They have fill length videos of their safes in fully involved fires and they are quite dramatic.

Liberty Safes - Fire Protection - FATBOY SURVIVES 3 HOUR BURN! Also see

Also the heat in a home structure fire does go above 1200 degrees F. but only stays there for less than 100 seconds. Reference this paper published on that subject alone.

Building and Fire Publications

Bottom line like everything else it's a buyer beware world, do your homework and you won't get "burned" (sorry I couldn't help myself)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just a note on those silica packets for safes. I purchased a packet of four for my pistol safe for $7.00. They last for a 7-10 days before needing to be recharged, which entails sticking them into an oven for 6-10 hours at 200 degrees. IMO, it's really kind of a pain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.