Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been carrying a Novatac SPL-120 for the past couple of years or so. It is starting to fail. I is going through 123A's on almost a weekly basis. I used to go months on a battery. I think the LED or something else is shot on this light. Anyway I not asking what is the best light, but rather for recommendations or your opinion on what's out there. I know that is pretty much the same thing, but I value your opinion. I want something small enough to carry in my pocket. The Novatac is about the size of a roll of quarters maybe not quite as long. I wouldn't mind something longer, but not any fatter. I like the 123 batteries and am leaning towards a light that uses 2 123's, but is just a thought and not a requisite. I do want LED with at least 120 lumen.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ive tried a lot of flash lights. there ar a lot to choose from. there is trend in going as small as possible with a 9,000 lumen bulb.

What are you going to be using it for? what distances? what kind of throw and spill?

Personally Ive found that the Surefire LX2 is one of the best all around lights on the market. First I dont like click caps. especially ones with multiple brightness settings. If I need a lot of light i want it now! Thats where I like the LX2. It hasa 2 stage pressure tail cap. Push in a little and you get 15 lumens. this is great for everyday things where you dont want to drain your battery. Push in harder and you get 200. no thinking just press hard.

i dont like super small lights. they are a pain to retain during weapons manipulation in the dark. and in low light classes we've seen students grab their tiny light and go to activate it and half of the lens is being covered by their hand.

The only down side is the pocket clip springs and breaks easy. but some electrical tape around of the base of the clip seems to solve the trick.

Surefire LX2 LumaMax® LED Flashlight

If your on a budget its hard to beat a LED surefire G2 for the price.

Surefire G2 LED Flashlight

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use it from anything from checking the mail after dark when I get home, lighting up a dark area that I am working in, navigating to my deer stand before sunrise, to searching for a blood trail like I did last night. Sometimes it may run for just a few seconds other times it might run for 20 minutes. I don't need a light that will through a spot out to 100 yards, but I need a bright light when I need it. Most of the time I need to light in close proximity. I carry a pen light in my shirt pocket at work for medial tasks, but I don't carry it as EDC, its just a 15 lumen light. My Novatac has two power settings and I rarely use low power. I will use the strobe occasionally if I am hunting with someone and am walking towards them so I am seen easier. I just need a good durable light that is at least as bright as what I have now. I have a brighter light on my AR and if I don't find anything that suites me I am going to pull it off and carry it until I do.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Surefire and Streamlight are going to be your best bets in my opinion because if you decide to get a holster ot belt attachment to carry it, most kydex/leather makers stick with the two big names for molds. That's not to say they won't carry molds for any other lights but generally speaking, you'll always find them for Streamlight and Surefire.

I prefer the Streamlight 6P LED for handheld and the TLR-1s for weapon mounted. I carry both.

·
Registered
465 Posts
First thing I would do is contact Novatac as they have a lifetime warranty on their products. From their website:

"What is the warranty on my Novatac flashlight?
NovaTac, Inc. warrants that its products will be free from defects in material and workmanship for life. NovaTac’s liability is limited to the original purchase price of the product and does not cover cosmetics, color variations, modifications or batteries."

To me it sounds like you are experiencing circuitry/regulator issue, should definitely be covered by the lifetime warranty.

Still you should have a backup light. I had good experience with the iTP SC1 R5 LED, have one for over 2 years and never had a problem. It’s a 230 lumen bulb with infinitely adjustable brightness, not preset like most lights that have high-med-low. You can lock at any brightness you want as it ramps up and down during adjustment. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the iTP's. I have a couple of the SC2's, one for work, the other for EDC.

www(dot)batteryjunction(dot)com/itp-sc2-r5-flashlight.html (sorry, i can't post links yet)

Comes with a holster, lanyard and spare switch assembly. Has 3 brightness levels preset, plus strobe, or is infinitely adjustable as previously stated. Can't beat the quality/performance to price ratio either.

I've been ordering from Battery Junction for a couple of years. Awesome service and prices. Their Titanium Innovations CR123A 3V Lithium Photo Batteries (1400mah) can't be beat. i get them on sale in the twelve pack for less that $1.00 each. No affiliation, just an extremely satisfied customer.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
All I can say is my Surefire Defender drew blood more than once when I was a Deputy. I still carry that little light everyday at work even though I normally have someone else to do my "dirty" work for me anymore.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, since my Novatac has stopped performing I pulled the light off my AR. Its a nice light and I have been carrying it the past several days. It is a Brite Strike RL-198-HLS. It puts out 198 lumens on high, 90 on low and the 3rd tap is 198 lumen strobe. I haven't used it much since it was on my AR for SD use. I think I am going to use this Brite Strike as my EDC. I wish I would have been carrying this light sooner. I bought it at a military surplus store at Fort Bragg a few years ago. I got my Novatac this Brite Strike and a weapon mount for the BS for $80. The BS retails for $140. I didn't realize how nice this light is until I used it for a few days. I put it on the AR because it had the pressure switch that fastens to my front vertical hand grip. The reviews on it are outstanding and I like the way it feels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts