Glock Pro Forums banner

Sore Shooting Finger

8K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  antoniodelrio1958 
#1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this question.

I have a sore (pinched) shooting finger when shooting my Glock 30 and 35. The pinch is down low on the index finger pad. The abrasion appears to be coming from pinching between the inside of the trigger guard and the extreme end of the trigger. I have tried to move my trigger finger up higher on the trigger but this seems very awkward. Anyone else experienced a "sore shooting finger pad?"

#3 · (Edited)
Without a photo or drawing it's difficult for me to mentally picture where you're getting pinched, so all I can do is offer a couple of suggestions.

First, you should be pulling the trigger straight back with the middle of the last bone ("fingertip" or distal phalanx) on your trigger finger: not toward the joint, not toward the tip, but right in the middle. Doing so means you're pulling over the most flesh on that bone.

If your grip doesn't allow you to reach the trigger in the manner I've described, that might mean that the gun isn't a great fit in your hand. With a Gen4 gun, you can adjust the grip circumference by using the included backstraps. With an earlier Glock, about all you can do is to add circumference with grip tape or a sleeve.

One other idea I can offer is to forget about the presence of the trigger safety, that little finger on bottom of the face of the trigger. I used to pull on that, and I got pinched, too. Then I just pulled on the middle of the trigger face and found an improvement. It worked for me, anyway.

Is either of your Glocks a Gen4? If so, you can experiment with the backstraps to adjust your grip, and your trigger finger reach.

Chris

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure its the side of his finger getting pinched between the tip of the trigger and the trigger guard. Most likely as he releases the trigger.

Chris is right about using the middle of the trigger and ignoring the trigger safety, it will still disengage. You might also try moving more towards the tip of your finger. Adjusting your grip via the blackstraps Chris mentioned or just experimenting with grip may change how the finger wants to naturally rest on the trigger.

Finally would be an aftermarket trigger that has a flat face instead of the curve, but those can get pricey.

#5 ·
Thank you fellows. The G 30 is a Gen 2 and the G 35 is a Gen 4. Both pinch.
I am a black powder, long gun muzzle, loader shooter as well. These guns have a set trigger and a hair trigger. The hair trigger requires very little finger pressure. I guess I'm just used to using only the extreme tip of my trigger finger.
Now on a Glock, I guess I'm just going to have to get used to applying trigger pressure with more flesh of my "distal Phalanx" This will require experimenting with the "web" of my shooting hand. Holding the gun, this will require me to move the butt of the pistol further left into the web. Do you see anything wrong with this?

#6 · (Edited)
...This will require experimenting with the "web" of my shooting hand. Holding the gun, this will require me to move the butt of the pistol further left into the web. Do you see anything wrong with this?
As long as you can maintain a firm grip and good control of the handgun, exactly how you orient it in your hand as long as you are using a two-handed grip should not pose a problem, at least in my opinion. Lots of people need to adapt their grip to fit a particular gun.

On the G35, you might try the fit without any of the backstraps, experiment a little to see which combination works the best for you.

Here's a link to some suggestions on grip and trigger pull: http://glock.pro/training-tactics/5692-basic-action-shooting-grip-trigger-pull.html#post63665

Chris

#7 ·
Ha! Already been there numerous times! This is a great Glock Forum! "Basic Action Shooting: The Grip and Trigger Pull" is wonderful!
Unfortunately, I don't see any pictures of the "shooting hand web".
Back straps on the Gen 4 Glock 35 just aggravate the problem of trying to get more "pad" on the trigger finger. Just as soon as my "pinch" heals up I'll go to the range again, reorient my shooting hand web and give you a report. Chris, I've searched many many forums looking for people that have this same "pinched shooting finger pad" YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE TO EVER ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IT HAS ALSO HAPPEND TO YOU! Thank you for your input.

#8 ·
...Chris, I've searched many many forums looking for people that have this same "pinched shooting finger pad" YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE TO EVER ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IT HAS ALSO HAPPEND TO YOU! Thank you for your input.
Ken,

You're most welcome.

I think that nearly everyone who first shoots a Glock is somehow fixated on the Trigger Safety, and that makes them pull it instead of the middle of the Trigger. At least that's what happened to me, and I'm willing to share the mistakes I've learned from. You'll find the same attitude from many if not most of our Members.

If you do pull with the middle of the fingertip, there's (usually) enough flesh to de-activate the Trigger Safety, without even thinking about it. Those with very small fingers may still have difficulty with it, however.

Chris

#9 ·
I come from a competitive rifle background also (small bore) with super short and light trigger pulls. I hate to say it but repositioning my finger on the trigger was the least of the challenges :D The long pull requires some rewiring of the brain. I'm used to waiting for the perfect sight picture then timing the trigger pull with the movement of the sights - it takes too long to do that with a pistol trigger intended for general use and with the extra weight of the pull trying to "pop" the trigger pushes the round to the left.

I say all that in hopes that it will help you not get frustrated with the process or trying to figure out why it's different.

As far as the web of your strong hand, it's all good as long as the knuckle of your thumb doesn't start to get under the slide. If the knuckle starts taking some of the recoil that will become uncomfortable as well. Just like with a rifle, keep your trigger hand (strong hand) relaxed and let your weak hand do most of the work holding/controlling the gun.

#10 ·
I must admit that I do not notice the trigger safety when shooting.

'Course I shoot off of the reset.