Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on Snap Caps/Dry Fire Ammo and if you don't mind, can you state why you like a particular brand? I'm looking to purchase some soon and wanted to get some ideas on which brand holds up well and functions properly.

Thanks

·
Administrator
6,979 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I bought the A-Zoom as well. The neoprene insert that jb is referring to is also spring-loaded so it seems like a good setup to absorb the energy from the firing pin. Also, I like the fact that it's aluminum. Some snap caps are polymer *ahem*. Plastic. Might not hold up as well when they're being chambered multiple times.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I have the A-zoom as well

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well then, since you guys are such a diverse base of snap cap users, lol, I'll have to look into getting some of those. :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
TheLaw ... next time you see me remind me and I'll give you the A-zoom ones I have. At one time I had them in all calibers. I am not sure what I have remaining but will check if you call me this evening to remind me. Don't buy any yet as they aren't cheap.

I don't use any snap caps or dummy rounds at all for normal dry fire practice. What I mean is I don't use them for the purpose of protecting part X or part Y. In fact, someone I trusted (but can't recall who at the moment) suggested the poly ones were just as good if not better as they weren't as rigid ... even if they don't have the springs.

I have a few of the poly ones from a previous class and use them for re-load practice, etc. when I need a round in the mag or to setup double feeds, stovepipes, etc.

The ideal setup would prob be for someone to re-load a few rounds with no primer and no powder ..... real brass and real bullet. The only potential would be the fact they would look like a live round and if you were to get confused could get a BANG instead of a CLICK. I would suggest using high contrast paint pen and marking the dummy rounds if you choose this method.

The only issue I have with the poly rounds is they do get chewed up after a bunch of malf clearance drills (esp the .223/5.56 rounds). Once they start getting deformed or scuffed up to the point of poly shredding off I suggest discarding them immediately. You don't want that stuff getting jammed up in your weapon.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TheLaw ... next time you see me remind me and I'll give you the A-zoom ones I have. At one time I had them in all calibers. I am not sure what I have remaining but will check if you call me this evening to remind me. Don't buy any yet as they aren't cheap.

I don't use any snap caps or dummy rounds at all for normal dry fire practice. What I mean is I don't use them for the purpose of protecting part X or part Y. In fact, someone I trusted (but can't recall who at the moment) suggested the poly ones were just as good if not better as they weren't as rigid ... even if they don't have the springs.

I have a few of the poly ones from a previous class and use them for re-load practice, etc. when I need a round in the mag or to setup double feeds, stovepipes, etc.

The ideal setup would prob be for someone to re-load a few rounds with no primer and no powder ..... real brass and real bullet. The only potential would be the fact they would look like a live round and if you were to get confused could get a BANG instead of a CLICK. I would suggest using high contrast paint pen and marking the dummy rounds if you choose this method.

The only issue I have with the poly rounds is they do get chewed up after a bunch of malf clearance drills (esp the .223/5.56 rounds). Once they start getting deformed or scuffed up to the point of poly shredding off I suggest discarding them immediately. You don't want that stuff getting jammed up in your weapon.
Thank you Vol! I was actually looking for them to use by loading them randomly in my mags to see if I could catch myself slapping the trigger (LOW LEFT ring a bell???) and to setup double feeds, etc.. I will take you up on your offer for sure! You tha man, I don't care what these guys say about you! :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
In general it's OK to dry fire without snap caps. But I also think it depends on how much you plan to do it.

I do a lot of dry fire practicing, so much that I'm guessing that I've dry fired a couple of hundred times for every live cartridge I fire. Given that amount, I tend to use snap caps. I don't use it when I'm stripping the gun or if I'm only going to dry fire a couple of times in one session.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.