Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 years ago I bought a S&W 22S .22LR pistol just to play around with and to use as a sidearm for squirrel hunting. I haven't shot it much other than a few magazines here and there. Yesterday I had a few hours to kill and walked down to my home range with folding chair and sat down and plinked through a 550 round box of Remington bulk ammo. I have to say I now love this little pistol. It is the stainless version that is not made anymore, but I would assume the aluminum frames perform just as well. This model has what I would label as a 7" bull barrel and fully adjustable sights. I did need to adjust the windage and elevation just a click or two, but once I got it dial in it is a nail driver litteraly. I was shooting tin cans and a 4'x4' sheet of plywood that I had laying around that I spraypainted a few bullseyes on and had a grand time just punching holes. I only had one or two failure to ejects, which I blame on the ammo and not the gun. .22LR is notorious for being inconsistant at times. I could hear a few weak rounds everynow and then and can only assume that the failures were from weak rounds not fully cycling the slide. It would pick up a new round but the old round would stovepipe.

3/4 groups at 25yards is not a hard task for this little pistol. I was hitting small pinecones one handed at 15-20 yards with little effort. If anyone is looking for a plinker just to have fun with I would definitetely recommend this S&W. I had more fun yesterday shooting this little piece than shooting my Glocks. There is just something about making a tin can dance and being able to shoot 500 rounds for less than $15.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
They are a lot of fun. Congrats on re-discovering a fun toy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another thing on the S&W 22s, which I also have (or my son now has), is to pull the firing pin and check for square edge (not rounded) and if there is firing pin damage.
S&W will send you one if it's broke or bad.

I have several thousand rounds thru, and it was a bit gummy. I think a corner is a bit rounded off, so I am going to get a new one from S&W.

But lots of ammo seem to have poor quality for the .22LR now a days.

DG

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
But lots of ammo seem to have poor quality for the .22LR now a days.

DG
I hear that. I have gotten to the point where I only buy minimags even for high capacity range sessions. I guess the way I look at it is that 6 bucks per 100 is still a ton cheaper than shooting 9mm or .40 which I would be shooting if I wasn't shooting the .22. So I just stick with the minimags because I know they have the power to cycle pretty much any .22 action.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.