Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used G21 today. Pretty dirty inside. When the slide is manually locked back, it takes a very strong thumb to release it, almost two thumbs. I've never field stripped one yet, and this one needs it. I'm wondering if the slide stop may be bent some causing mucho gusto to release it. My Newest G27 just needs a moderate brush to release, but this one is very tough. Any ideas? Dirty? Worn parts?

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Some times people sell guns because they are having problems with them... like used cars...

I'd take it apart and check everything out...

Field stripping isn't difficult... Check out YouTube for videos... You'll want to be able to field strip your Glocks to clean them...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
normal. you're pressing down on it with the mag in the gun so you're working against the magazine spring. (you'll see inside that the slide stop contacts the magazine follower) nothing to worry about. clean it and shoot :)
oh, and if you notice it's harder to do than with your g27, it's only because the mag spring is stronger on glock 45's (which is compounded if it has new springs) :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If the original shooter never/rarely used the slide release but instead retracted the slide to release it, then it could have worn the notch concave.
that actually occurs when the slide release is often used, and if that were the case, it would be slightly easier to release. i've seen that on rental glocks that are rarely to never slingshoted ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. Empty.
It also is very hard to release without the magazine. Really takes two thumbs to release it. I did field strip the top end and cleaned pretty well. Started on the lower half and had trouble getting the large pin out and stopped due to time constraints. I'm thinking partially due to grit, or slightly misaligned or (bent) release? I will try again later to take it apart. If nothing else, I may need to replace the release itself, or get extended one.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It also is very hard to release without the magazine. Really takes two thumbs to release it. I did field strip the top end and cleaned pretty well. Started on the lower half and had trouble getting the large pin out and stopped due to time constraints. I'm thinking partially due to grit, or slightly misaligned or (bent) release? I will try again later to take it apart. If nothing else, I may need to replace the release itself, or get extended one.
yeah the stock glock mag release is pretty small, and can be not so easy to use if you have large hands. i just got the extended one for one of mine. it's only like $13

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
that actually occurs when the slide release is often used, and if that were the case, it would be slightly easier to release. i've seen that on rental glocks that are rarely to never slingshoted ;)
DG-- if you were to replace the slide lock part on those rental Glocks, would that fix the problem or is the slide itself pretty worn down? I'm asking because I've decided to chamber rounds by thumbing the lever when I'm shooting in competitions. Might not be tactically correct but it is faster for me. And the lever is in a perfect location for my hands-- I've never missed hitting it when I needed to.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I agree. Let's keep is civil around here. There are lots of people that come here to learn so they may or may not know all the correct terminology. In this case, Don obviously knows what he's talking about and simply made a mistake.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
DG-- if you were to replace the slide lock part on those rental Glocks, would that fix the problem or is the slide itself pretty worn down? I'm asking because I've decided to chamber rounds by thumbing the lever when I'm shooting in competitions. Might not be tactically correct but it is faster for me. And the lever is in a perfect location for my hands-- I've never missed hitting it when I needed to.
my friends at the gunshop file the back of the notch in the slide straight again several times, but this is only a temp fix. renters will eventually wear it into a curve through repeated use of the slide stop to the point where filling is straight again is no longer an option. at that point, they send into glock and they replace the slide under their gunshop renters program free of charge. you can only file the back of the notch straight again so many times until you open it up too much, then it needs a new slide.

i honestly don't know the number of times it takes to wear that slide notch down. they rent those glocks out a lot. i slingshot all my slides, because i shoot glocks, 1911's, and cz's and the slide stops are all in different places. plus, i don't want to wear out that notch lol. i really don't think you'll wear it down, and if you do glock will probably replace the slide under warranty :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update. I just installed the extended release on it. It now releases much easier. I checked the slide, there wasnt any wear on it, but there was a notch in the release itself. Much better. Now to save a little for a second barrel for the G21 so I can shoot lead..... and then a conversion for the G27 to shoot 9m. Also go a camo Glock hat when I ordered the release, so I feel like a regular Glock Pimp now!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
LOL. Thank you for updating us and letting us know the resolution to your issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.