Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting with the title SOLVED so anyone else having a similar problem will be able to see the solution has been found.

I will have full video posted as soon as I have time, please be patient.

Weapon: Glock 17 Gen 4 400 round count

Problem: Slide locks back after each round. Even racking or sweeping the slide does not help, it still locks. The only way to get a round into battery is to actuate the slide release.

Condition: Magazine is in the weapon. Weapon has 300 or more rounds of ammo fired in it without cleaning.

Observations: Magazine release is dragging on the carbon build up. It appears the recoil may impulse the slide release upward thus locking the slide to the rear.

Correction: Initially, I removed the slide release and cleaned the contact areas. Resemble the weapon and apply a small amount of Rem oil to the contact points of the slide release. Fault is persistent, but some improvement. Pulling up on the slide release and letting it go does not result in much tension, it does not snap back into place.

Final solution: Upon close observation it appears that the top of the slide release spring is making contact with the locking block. Upper pin was removed and the slide release spring was pressed down as the pin was replaced. The spring is now making contact with the pin, there is increased tension on the spring and the slide stop now SNAPS back into place.

Conclusion: Malfunction of weapon was operator induced where it was assembled incorrectly.

As I said, I will be posting video later. At first I thought I had a part broken. I was so relieved to find it was a simple fix!

EB

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
That's a very common issue, you did well finding the problem. The simplest solution comes from the proper assembly order - insert the locking block pin first, then the slide stop lever then the trigger pin.

This order ensures the spring is under the locking block pin.

If you're doing a video, there are also some basic Glock field tests for an assembled gun. I believe they are in the owner's manual - I'm almost certain I've seen them listed somewhere other than just the armorer's manual. One of the steps tests the slide stop lever and will identify this issue.

Sent from mTalk

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
Should be, it's taught in the class. It's simple - insert an empty magazine and pull the slide back. The magazine will (should) engage the slide stop lever. Remove the magazine (don't touch the lever). Pull the slide back and release. Slide should close normally.

In the Diagnostics section of the manual it will address a slide locking open. I know it specifies reversed tension on the spring (what the OP described) with the solution being properly installing the lever. I also remember it specifying hand position (i.e. bumping the lever with a thumb). Not sure if there were any other causes listed or not - typically it's one of those two or the problem early 42s had with a round pushing on the lever.

That's also the test Glock uses for magazine springs - if an empty mag locks the slide back the mag spring is considered passing.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
When re-assembling the pistol, before putting the slide back on, toggle the slide stop, it should snap back into default position. If not the spring did not position properly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) Im not an Glock armor
2) I dont have a Glock armor manual
3) The thread was intended for people who, like me, are number 1 and 2.

EB

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
FWIW, I am # 3 in your above post.

I learned how to disassemble/reassemble the old fashioned way ... I took it apart and put it back together !

Of course this is not recommended for those whom are not so inclined to learn this way.

I took a double action Colt .45 apart once and had to take the parts in a box to a LE armorer to have it reassembled and then get a verbal lashing about not doing that again !

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, I am # 3 in your above post.

I learned how to disassemble/reassemble the old fashioned way ... I took it apart and put it back together !

Of course this is not recommended for those whom are not so inclined to learn this way.

I took a double action Colt .45 apart once and had to take the parts in a box to a LE armorer to have it reassembled and then get a verbal lashing about not doing that again !

Thats funny stuff right there buddy, I dont care who you are! HA HA!
Been there, done that...

EB

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I came across the armorer's manual online at one time. Don't ask me where, but, I did find it one day. Maybe someone here knows what site ?? You could maybe download a copy if desired.

·
Registered
680 Posts
1) Im not an Glock armor
2) I dont have a Glock armor manual
3) The thread was intended for people who, like me, are number 1 and 2.

EB
Well, don't beat yourself up. Glock intentionally - in my opinion - only shows how to field strip the gun down into 5 major components: magazine, slide, frame, barrel and recoil assembly. Not to knock Glock, but they must want to make a few extra bucks from the armorers courses before sharing how to further disassemble and reassemble your handgun. Compared to my Ruger and Sig Sauer, the Glock is child's play. I have DVD's that I refer to for the others. I've taken them apart so I know more about them, but try to never do it if I'm in a hurry or can be distracted.

It's not gunsmithing. Personally I think if you own a gun you should really understand how to maintain it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Not to get all philosophical ... but there isn't any other way to learn. All these DVD's and YouTube videos let you do it in private ... so only you know how dumb you are. [I don't mean YOU personally] :cool:

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Dood, it don't get no dumber than having to take it in a box to someone for reassembly ... fortunately the guy was a buddy I shoot with at the range and I have since traded off that pistol !

:cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Dood, it don't get no dumber than having to take it in a box to someone for reassembly ... fortunately the guy was a buddy I shoot with at the range and I have since traded off that pistol !

:cool:
Okay ... if you insist! LOL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I detect focus creep...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, deer jesus...

Head Sleeve Deer Horn Fawn

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im here for comic relief!

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Just a heads up, Walter, does have a sense of humor !

·
Registered
680 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts