Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing target shooting for about a year with a Ruger Mark III 22 and enjoying it. I'm thinking of going to the Gunsight Academy in Northern Arizona next year for a week of shooting and fun, but I hear that I ought to have a bigger gun to make it worth while.

My brother-in-law who is pretty knowledgeable on guns recommends a Glock 34 for target shooting. I'm not interesting in carry or home defense.

What advice can people give? I can buy a 9mm a couple hundred cheaper than the Glock 34, but is it worth the saving? There are a lot of good guns out there.

Dr. J.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
I also think the Glock 34 is a fine choice...

Glock designed the 34 to be their target shooting pistol... There is also a .40 caliber Glock 35 that is designed for target shooting... Unless you plan to shoot a lot of steel, I'd say go with the 9mm Glock 34... easier to control... cheaper ammo... lots of Pros use them...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I've never fired a G34, but from all accounts I'm aware of, it's a fine target 9mm. One thought though, perhaps find a range that rents and try a few different brands, models and calibers etc... there is much more to deciding than brand name.... Or, just buy the G34, you'll love it!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I love my MkIII Ruger and I just got a g34 and I love it. I'd say go for it. It's so far the best shooting 9mm I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
No problem to me if a newbie gets the G34. I almost got one myself but I'm considering home defense / carry in the future for my G17

Welcome to the forums.

BTW, if you're thinking target shooting, consider looking into some local IDPA, USPSA/IPSC or GSSF clubs. Once you go through one of these groups, you'll have a harder time just standing and plinking in a shooting lane ;)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I wish I had bought a G34 a long time ago. It is a really soft shooter.

If you won't want something quite that long a Gen4 G17 would be another fine choice.

EDIT: ... and excellent choice in schools too.

·
None
1,525 Posts
I wish I had bought a G34 a long time ago. It is a really soft shooter.

If you won't want something quite that long a Gen4 G17 would be another fine choice.

EDIT: ... and excellent choice in schools too.
A Gen3 G17 would be an excellent choice as well. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased my G34 about 4 years ago and it is by far my favorite pistol. I have taken several classes with it, have shot IDPA with it, GSSF matches, etc. I have probably 4,000 rounds through it without a hiccup. I recommend it with no reservations.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
I purchased my G34 about 4 years ago and it is by far my favorite pistol. I have taken several classes with it, have shot IDPA with it, GSSF matches, etc. I have probably 4,000 rounds through it without a hiccup. I recommend it with no reservations.
Can't ask for a better recommendation than that!

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Try a few diffrent Glocks and go with what feels better to you. It's your money and your firearm. Depends on what feels good in your hand and how well you shoot it. I love my G17 and hate the G19 and its all a comfort and rounds on target thing for me. Not saying a G19 is a bad firearm, just it's not for me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for advice; pattern size

Thanks for all the praise on the 34. Isn't it pretty light for a target pistol? My Mark III Ruger weights twice as much.

Does any one know the actual pattern size of the 34 versus other Glocks or other gun makers? Have these tests ever been done?

--John

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Keep in mind you are comparing a pretty much all steel firearm against a firearm that is half plastic. The 34 is a GREAT firearm.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Does any one know the actual pattern size of the 34 versus other Glocks or other gun makers? Have these tests ever been done?
That is too dependent on the individual shooter to really be of much value. I know folks that shoot X better than Y while I shoot Y better than X.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
That is too dependent on the individual shooter to really be of much value. I know folks that shoot X better than Y while I shoot Y better
than X.
Cause your sdrawkcab! :)

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Huh?

Inside joke?
That's backwards spelled in reverse. (cause he said he shoots Y better than X, when most shoot X better than Y.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
That's backwards spelled in reverse. (cause he said he shoots Y better than X, when most shoot X better than Y.
Hahaha...

I gotta get better at my code-breaking skills...

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
The 34 is a nice pistol. But I would recommend looking at several different models before settling on the one. Myself I have had 2 of them. Neither one lasted long. I just didn't like them at all. For me the 17 is a much better choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts