Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local range today (9-19-11) with my new HD video recorder glasses and took some footage of me shooting.
I thought I'd share it with you guys (and gals).

Caution, the video is quite loud, adjust your audio output accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Nice video...

How do thse glasses work? Do they have a micro sd card inside or do you need a wire to an external card?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Cool. I only got to watch the first few minutes and will come back to this later. Do you do all your reloads low like that or were you just doing them that way in this video at the indoor range?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice video...
How do thse glasses work? Do they have a micro sd card inside or do you need a wire to an external card?
They have 8GB internal storage. In the picture is everything needed to start recording. To get the data off the glasses, you simply plug it in with a mini USB cable, it is also recharged this way. The battery can handle 90 minutes or recording time before it needs to be recharged.
Here's where I ordered them: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/c3eb/

Cool. I only got to watch the first few minutes and will come back to this later. Do you do all your reloads low like that or were you just doing them that way in this video at the indoor range?
In the video I was shooting Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ. I don't do reloads yet, though I plan on getting a Lee progressive press for xmas (I've been saving my casings).

Later in the video I do some double taps and some long shots (75' and 150')

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
What I meant was, when you are changing mags out (reload), do you drop your hands down like that normally or was that only for the video/range?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I meant was, when you are changing mags out (reload), do you drop your hands down like that normally or was that only for the video/range?
Oh, I see what you're saying. I do reloads directly in front of my chest. The camera's field of vision doesn't see that very well.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Try bringing the gun directly in front of your face. Assuming you are right handed, rotate the left side (looking down the sights) of the firearm slightly towards you so your thumb hits the mag release. Grab your secondary magazine from it's holder. It should be positioned so that your support hand index finger is touching the top rounds bullet. With the firearm still up in your face area (workspace), using your index finger that is touching the top round bullet, "point" it up into the mag well. You can bring your focus from your threat, to the mag well long enough to ensure you are going to insert it properly. Slam the mag home, extend back out to your preferred method (weaver, advanced weaver or isosceles) and get back on target. This allows your threat to always remain in your field of view as well as should speed up you getting back on target quicker. There is a video that was made by our very own JLWeems demonstrating this. Let me see if I can find it.

Again, this is a suggestion for you to try to see how you like it. Not saying it's the way you HAVE to do it. Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
JL has taken the video down from YouTube. I'll see if he will re-post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try bringing the gun directly in front of your face. Assuming you are right handed, rotate the left side (looking down the sights) of the firearm slightly towards you so your thumb hits the mag release. Grab your secondary magazine from it's holder. It should be positioned so that your support hand index finger is touching the top rounds bullet. With the firearm still up in your face area (workspace), using your index finger that is touching the top round bullet, "point" it up into the mag well. You can bring your focus from your threat, to the mag well long enough to ensure you are going to insert it properly. Slam the mag home, extend back out to your preferred method (weaver, advanced weaver or isosceles) and get back on target. This allows your threat to always remain in your field of view as well as should speed up you getting back on target quicker. There is a video that was made by our very own JLWeems demonstrating this. Let me see if I can find it.

Again, this is a suggestion for you to try to see how you like it. Not saying it's the way you HAVE to do it. Let me know what you think.
I do appreciate the suggestion, and this is something I've been practicing recently actually. I was not focused on reload speed at the range however. I also do not have a mag holster as of yet. If you look towards the bottom of the screen during some of my reloads (at 4:40 is a good example of this) I do turn the gun when I reload. You also see me look down slightly while doing this. This is due to the range setting and a lack of mag holster. I have my mags right next to my box of ammo on a small shooting bench. I would hate to knock my ammo over by mistake.

As for the reload itself, I am getting pretty fast in practice. One thing I will try is moving my workspace up slightly higher so that the top of the gun is just under my line of site of the target. This should allow be the best view of the gun and my surroundings at the same time.

Again though, I am not reloading that far down at the moment. If I go straight out from under my chin, the top of my gun meets that plane. I do however catch myself moving my gun down as I go for another mag on the bench. This only really occurs when I don't know exactly where my mags are or when I have to be a bit careful, as I visually check before reaching. In a more tactical setting, I would not be looking for a mag, I would simply grab one from a holster while dropping the empty mag, all in one smooth motion.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The recording glasses bring up some interesting possibilities. From what source did you obtain them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The recording glasses bring up some interesting possibilities. From what source did you obtain them?
ThinkGeek :: Spycam Video/MP3/Camera Sunglasses

I plan on using them primarily for range videos, but you could use them to make driving/riding videos as well as any other situation where a POV shot could be useful. What I really like about them, is that, while wearing them, people can't tell them apart from other shooting glasses/sunglasses. Even if someone were to look closely, they'd assume they were mp3 glasses. With that said, you could record something without anyone knowing you were doing so.

For instance, when I go to an indoor range, I would rather have others not know I am recording. There is no policy against it at the range. I, however, would prefer to not have everyone else wondering what I was doing. It is unneeded and unwanted attention.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was surprised at their reasonable price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts