Glock Pro Forums banner

Shoot Reloads Now My Slide Stuck HELP

10K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
Hi I have a Glock 19 Gen 4 I shoot some crappy reloads out of my gun they wont even send the slide back but every time i rack it the slide gets stuck and wont go into battery its on the guides but it keeps getting stuck i have to hit the back of slide on something to get it to go forward please help Finger Nail Engineering Revolver Wrist
Hand Finger Camera accessory Cameras & optics Nail
Brown Wood Rectangle Gadget Wood stain
Netbook Wood Orange Writing implement Communication Device
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood
Wood Finger Gas Tints and shades Wrist

See less See more
#4 ·
If your reloads are weak, it is possible that one of them pushed a bullet far enough into the barrel (what we call a "squib" round) to allow another round to be chambered. If you then fired the second round, the pressure produced would have bulged the barrel. If that's all that happened, it is your lucky day. Sometimes this sort of accident results in the shooter being injured as the parts fly apart.

Yes, Storm Lake barrels are fine, as are Lone Wolf and Glock barrels. But no barrel will take the kind of abuse that yours apparently suffered.

Before you do anything about a new barrel, I would take immediate steps to improve your reloading process, or stop reloading and shoot factory ammunition.

A final thought: take the gun to a Glock Armorer or a gunsmith for a complete inspection, to make sure that nothing else is damaged.

And what is the green piece of paper that's sitting in the slide?

Chris

#14 ·
Sounds like the Cartridge OAL is too long(bullet is sticking into the rifling and locking the slide up) and they're under power as well. I ran into something similar(OAL issue) when I had my Glock G30 and dropped in a Lone Wolf barrel for shooting my home cast bullets though. There was zero lead(free bore, ect.) in this barrel so a standard length 45acp round with the cast lead bullet I was using would stick into the rifling and lock it up tight. I did manage to open up the throat so that took care of the problem but if you have a set of dial calipers I'd measure the OAL of the cartridge and compare it to SAMMI specs to see where you're at.

#16 ·
Yep, I ended up using the Lone Wolf barrel to check OAL of my handloads before I finally opened up the throat. Ended up that they needed to be set back around .025" IIRC, not all that perfect of a situation but then again I was loading them on the light side so my pressure didn't go up all that much. Not like a set back full power load would have been.

#17 ·
To my knowledge, Glock has not released what the numbers on the inside of the slide mean. They do not match the frame numbers.

Check your ammo. Since you're shooting reloads, it sounds like they were not sized properly. Get a case gauge. It helps a LOT.

#18 ·
I have done this on 2 Glocks a 17 and a 22 both guns were match guns(competition).Both were squibbs and swelled the barrel and locking the slide in place.Both times were my fault(once was wrong calibere and the other lead reloads) and Im glad they were with a Glock and not a lesser gun or it might have been ugly.Both guns got new barrels and work fine now.If your shooting lead bullets(Non jacketed) and your not swabbing (with a steel brush) the barrel after around 250 rounds you will have problems.I have since been using molly coated bullets and they perform like jacketed ones with no lead fouling at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.