Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for info..after googleing a bunch..got one of these but NOT the metal mag release, for my G48(LOVE that gun!!). Because, I will test the mag to make sure it works, then just carry it..not 'use' it as in, in and out at range. Google foo says a lot of the plastic OEM mag release wear is from shooting the gun with the metal mag..so..I'll insert it...then take it out and range shoot with the 10R mags, then put it back in.

My plan...

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
You could frequently replace the factory mag catch as well until you can get a metal one. They only cost a couple of bucks.

Something to keep in mind, the metal mag will wear down the plastic mag catch just as the metal mag catch will wear down plastic mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could frequently replace the factory mag catch as well until you can get a metal one. They only cost a couple of bucks.

Something to keep in mind, the metal mag will wear down the plastic mag catch just as the metal mag catch will wear down plastic mags.

Yup, but since I'll only insert the mag to carry it, not a bunch of metal mags in and out at the range, I think the plastic mag release will be Ok..I DO have a spare and yup, easy to change. Cheaper than gooning up my multiple plastic OE mags with a metal release.

As mentioned in a few YT vids, the 'wear' on the plastic mag release comes from the shooting, not the carrying. PLUS, a few say the metal mag release with the Shield mag is very, very sensitive...

For info..just shy of 2 ounces heavier with those extra 5 rounds(1.92 ounces) 26.13 to 28.05..not sure why the gun is heavier with 10r, full mag than 'advertised'...(25.12ounces)

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
For info..just shy of 2 ounces heavier with those extra 5 rounds(1.92 ounces) 26.13 to 28.05..not sure why the gun is heavier with 10r, full mag than 'advertised'...(25.12ounces)
I would guess the variance is in the type or maybe even brand of ammo.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You have me thinking about the Shield Arms mag now. All I thought about was how the mag would damage the release...now that I see your post...... what was I thinking? Put the mag in the gun...leave it there and fire the firearm occasionally at the range, and release the mag out and reload it.....I doubt I will muck up the plastic mag release in my lifetime doing that!!!!

UPDATE: However I read this on the Shield Arms site>>>>>
Mag Catch Recommendation
We recommend swapping out your plastic OEM mag catch with either our standard steel mag catch or our premium steel mag catch. Here's why. If you don't swap your mag catch you may have reliability issues. If you use another manufacturer's mag catch you may have reliability issues. Gen 2 magazines were designed to work with Shield Arms steel mag catches. If you have a first generation aluminum mag catch, we recommend upgrading to one of our steel mag catch offerings.

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
Mag Catch Recommendation
We recommend swapping out your plastic OEM mag catch with either our standard steel mag catch or our premium steel mag catch. Here's why. If you don't swap your mag catch you may have reliability issues. If you use another manufacturer's mag catch you may have reliability issues. Gen 2 magazines were designed to work with Shield Arms steel mag catches. If you have a first generation aluminum mag catch, we recommend upgrading to one of our steel mag catch offerings.
That’s not confusing

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have me thinking about the Shield Arms mag now. All I thought about was how the mag would damage the release...now that I see your post...... what was I thinking? Put the mag in the gun...leave it there and fire the firearm occasionally at the range, and release the mag out and reload it.....I doubt I will muck up the plastic mag release in my lifetime doing that!!!!

UPDATE: However I read this on the Shield Arms site>>>>>
Mag Catch Recommendation
Not surprised they say this but google foo says the plastic mag release worn/damaged from shooting the gun, not just inserting and leaving it. I 'tested' the mag yesterday..with carry and range ammo, mixed and it worked, fed, just fine. Then shoot about 200 rounds with OE magazines, then once more, the Shield one..then back to OE..worked great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What I am confused on is I did not know there were gen 1 and gen 2 Shield Arms 15 rd mags to begin with. No where can I find them listed as gen 1 or gen 2. How are they different? The site says>>>>Gen 2 magazines were designed to work with Shield Arms steel mag catches. If you have a first generation aluminum mag catch, we recommend upgrading to one of our steel mag catch offerings. Never mind, found this to explain, yet it still makes no sense as to why you would need a different release.....https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/27/shield-arms-gen-2-s15-ambidextrous-mag/ Sure seems like a great way to screw people into buying something else to spend more money on to make the company profits go up!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I am confused on is I did not know there were gen 1 and gen 2 Shield Arms 15 rd mags to begin with. No where can I find them listed as gen 1 or gen 2. How are they different? The site says>>>>Gen 2 magazines were designed to work with Shield Arms steel mag catches. If you have a first generation aluminum mag catch, we recommend upgrading to one of our steel mag catch offerings. Never mind, found this to explain, yet it still makes no sense as to why you would need a different release.....https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/27/shield-arms-gen-2-s15-ambidextrous-mag/ Sure seems like a great way to screw people into buying something else to spend more money on to make the company profits go up!
Agree..I think it's a way to make $ and a CYA thing.."your magazine killed my mag release!!...blah, blah."

I bought a spare OE mag release..$10...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts