Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went back to the Gunshow because the 17L I saw yesterday was talking..
Picked the G17L with one 17rd factory magazine for $425..
The original owner of the pistol told me he bought it new in 1990 & has shot maybe 500 rounds threw it & that it had also "Never Been Cleaned" Ever..
I looked it over & it has the extended magazine release button, fixed rear sight in - size, captured recoil spring, factory 3.5lb connector, It also has had the upgraded trigger bar & firing pin already installed..Must have seen an armourer once??
The slide release lever is the newer style but was a flat factory one, I added a factory extended lever to it today..
The guns was filthy & took 10+ patches & 30+ Q-Tips & about an hour of time to clean it up really good & lubricate, BTW the gun was dry except for the old gold lube that was put on it 20 years ago by Glock..
Date Code of MV dates the gun to April of 1990..
The guy also had a G26 that is talking to me as well..
I'll see him again in two weeks, We'll have to wait & see on that one..
I saw another guy yesterday who had two 17L tupperware cases but they had packed up & their table was bare.. I'll see them again too..

1990 2nd Gen G17L

Glock 17L Stripped for it's first Cleaning EVER!!

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Congrats on a nice pistol

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Between you and JB this place is going to "L"....

Reactions: __jb

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This place is Going to "L"
Looks like I need to pick up a 2 pin slide stop lever with the spike limiter as the lever that was in this pistol was for the 3 pin pistols, I installed the factory extended one from my stash but want the correct type in the pistol..
Also the connector is a "-" style with an S on the bottom, well anyhow a LWD 3.5lb connector feels much better than the one the pistol came with, breaks better..
I also had the striker sleeve pull out when I was cleaning the firing pin channel so I'll wanna pick one of those up too..
I may also pick up a new trigger spring & recoil spring/rod assembly as well..
Also want a nice set of sights, would prefer fiber optic front but don't want the front sight hanging out over the cut out in the slide..
Have been looking around at the Dawson & Warren/Sevigny sights..
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Glock+Fiber+Optic+Inserted+Front+Sights
http://www.warren_sevigny_sights.htm
Might just pick up a fiber optic front and a factory adjustable rear sight..

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
This place is Going to "L"
Looks like I need to pick up a 2 pin slide stop lever with the spike limiter as the lever that was in this pistol was for the 3 pin pistols, I installed the factory extended one from my stash but want the correct type in the pistol..
Also the connector is a "-" style with an S on the bottom, well anyhow a LWD 3.5lb connector feels much better than the one the pistol came with, breaks better..
I also had the striker sleeve pull out when I was cleaning the firing pin channel so I'll wanna pick one of those up too..
I may also pick up a new trigger spring & recoil spring/rod assembly as well..
Also want a nice set of sights, would prefer fiber optic front but don't want the front sight hanging out over the cut out in the slide..
Have been looking around at the Dawson & Warren/Sevigny sights..
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Glock+Fiber+Optic+Inserted+Front+Sights
http://www.warren_sevigny_sights.htm
Might just pick up a fiber optic front and a factory adjustable rear sight..
Starting to sound like a re-build project for you

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any of these parts will be my choice..
It would run 100% for two lifetimes without anything, Including Lubrication..

I have a guy @ GlockTalk who is gonna send me a factory adjustable rear sight & a fiber optic front as a trade for a G19 recoil spring assembly & grip plug..
The other pieces I'll pick up from the Glock Dr. in two weeks..
Enjoy!!
Gary

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Today I went back to the Gunshow because the 17L I saw yesterday was talking..
Picked the G17L with one 17rd factory magazine for $425..
The original owner of the pistol told me he bought it new in 1990 & has shot maybe 500 rounds threw it & that it had also "Never Been Cleaned" Ever..
Congratulations on your new 17L... Looks like you got a good deal...

I'm having fun shooting mine... Hope you enjoy yours, too...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I traded a G19 recoil spring & a grip plug to a forum member for a factory adjustable rear sight & a Hi-Viz front fiber optic sight..
Took some during & after pictures..
As others have stated the front sight does hang out into the cut out in the slide but the sight picture is pretty good for having "Zero Dollars" in this setup..
Installation was easy, except for making the small socket tool in the first pic, with the blue heat shrink tubing to keep it in the 1/4 nut driver handle..
Gonna pick a small red insert up tomorrow from my buddy as the Ruger MKII I sold him has a container full of these replacement inserts for the Hi-Viz sights..
I have another member here who has a short red fiber optic Dawson sight that I make purchase if the Hi-Viz doesn't work out for me..

2nd Generation Glock 17L Getting New Sights

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure yet??
I may opt to purchase the Dawson sight & use the Hi-Viz on another Glock..

Don't really care for how it hangs out into the cut out in the slide.. Should be OK for a range gun..

Now I'm looking toward a G26..

I saw a Generation 2.5 G26 with smooth finger grooves & want one like that..
Of course when it comes down to it Price is King on finding these deals..
You gotta be there & have the cash at hand..
No gunshows Christmas week but another BIG One here Dec 31st-Jan 2nd..
There's also those new Gen 4 G26s?? Will have to handle one before I take the plunge..

I have always loves fiber optic sights as they really draw your eye to the front sight & like the way Glocks rear sights surround the sight picture..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.