Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own two tactical lights. One is an Insight M3 and the other is an NC Star. The M3 is $100 or more, and the NC Star was $36. For all intents and purposes, they are equal in performance. Granted the M3 has an adjustable beam, and a quick release mount, but those are bells and whistles that may not be necessary. Don't get me wrong, the M3 is a fine product and you can't go wrong with one. But, if your budget is tight, the NC Star is a very good alternative. I fired a lot of rounds with the NC Star mounted and it never failed to work, so it can apparently handle recoil.

I keep the M3 on my G17 and that pistol is stored in my "get-home bag". The NC Star is mounted on my G21SF and serves as my home protection setup. Since the G21 lives most of its life in a drawer, a quick release mount is useless. The NC Star's beam fills a room with light and it is blinding. Again, there's no need for an optional adjustable beam. Since my "get-home" rig might require concealability, the quick release makes good sense.

I believe that a tactical light is a very good accessory, particularly for night protection in a home. If I could only have one light, the NC Star would be my choice and I'd spend the remaining $70 on practice ammunition.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Thanks for your review

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Good information, Ted, thanks!

How do the guns fire with the lights on them? I've heard that 17's handle lights well... Just curious if the 21 has any issues firing with the light mounted... I assume you are using standard 21 magazines?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 21 works well with the light. I haven't noticed any problems or issues. I use the new style 21 mags with the ambi cut.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Nice. I've got my cheapy home defense light mounted on my Remington 870 HD Shotgun. The light mounts with a clamp style mount and the operator simply has to turn on the light. There are no pressure sensors, or remote switches or anything like that. It lights up the dark when it needs to so it works as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I can't comment on this specific product and do appreciate the opinion of the OP.

However, my experience with NC Star gear has not been as impressive. I had some NC Star accessories on a shotgun I bought a couple of years ago ... they came on the gun from the previous owner ... and I quickly stripped them off and sold them. I had another piece of NC Star gear on a GSG rimfire carbine I had once. I found the gear to be more of AirSoft quality.

Now, lighting up the night is good but that doesn't necessarily make it quality gear. If it works for you ... which it prob would work for most of us as Joe Civilians with a light mounted on their nightstand gun ... then great. However, I have owned both a SureFire X200B and a Streamlight M3X and both were outstanding lights. The quality of the white light they put out was fantastic and they were very rugged. That's what I fear you aren't getting in a NC Star product. I could be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.