Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never did until a few months ago.

Most of use are not stupid enough to shoot without adequate hearing protection. We can hear loud noises and it's easy to recognize that can potentially damage our hearing.

However, many of us take eye protection for granted. I used to just wear regular old sun glasses, whatever I had on when I got to the range. Others use whatever safety type glasses they have lying around or something they picked up cheap at the gun shop that has a gun mfg logo on it.

Please take your eyes seriously and get quality eye protection.

How much is your vision worth? Can you make a living without it? Do you ever want to see your hot wife/husband again? Do you want to literally watch your kids/grandkids grow up?

There are plenty of companies out there making ballistic glasses that will greatly improve your chances of keeping your eyes after getting hit with shrapnel, brass, or even a direct ricochet. jlweems was hit in the chest hard by one on Sunday. I wonder what would have happened had that hit someone in the eye.

This is not a commercial for this particular brand/model but I wear Revision SawFlys. I bought a pair after reading they are endorsed by Tiger McKee. I found a good deal and figured I would give them a try. I have been very pleased and do recommend them as well. Here's a link ...

http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html

... but you can often find better deals ordering from a retailer or re-seller. These are one option offered to soldiers by the MIL. I think they can also get Oakleys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really like the Wiley-X brand. I have a pair of polarized sunglasses and a pair of clear. Both are ballistic of course. I wear these as everyday sunglasses, they are actually more comfortable than a lot of "normal" sunglasses I've had in the past.

Yes, MIL can get Oakleys...and at a nice discount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wiley-X FTW. I got a pair of Wiley-X Hydro in their matte black "Black Ops" collection. Rx polycarbonate lenses. I don't want anything messing up my eyesight!

WEAR PROTECTION...:cool:...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have both an Oakley and Wiley-X and planning to get Rx lenses for one of them as my eyes are giving up on me. I wonder how much it would cost me to get just the Rx lenses for either one.

·
None
1,525 Posts
Lately, I have been wearing sunglasses from a local manufacturer. The last time I talked to them they were submitting their product to be tested as ballistic glasses. I need to find out their results as I really like the glasses and would love to be able to tout a local company.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I do wear shooting glasses, but I didn't spend $100 dollars on them. I might upgrade later, but I think that the glasses I wear do protect me.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do wear shooting glasses, but I didn't spend $100 dollars on them. I might upgrade later, but I think that the glasses I wear do protect me.
I didn't spend $100 either. I think I paid around $50 NIB for the SawFly kit and that included shipping. I can't recall how much the Wiley-X pair was. Even at $100 I think my eyes are worth it. Shooting glasses NE Ballistic glasses. I don't trust my sunglasses to stop bullet fragments .... and they cost more than $100.

My point is it isn't about money. I think buying expensive gear just to be spending money or to get a name is lame. I do believe in getting quality gear though. Sometimes that comes at a cost, sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got some Winchester glasses for $10 at the local gun shop.

On the box they say:

"4 times the protection of ANSI Z87.1"

"Passed MIL-PRF-31013 Ballistic resistance test"

"Meets ANSI Z87+ high velocity requirements"

Is this not adequate? What more should I look for? Is there another test that these glasses didn't pass? Now you got me concerned I'm going to shoot my eye out! If they say "Winchester" they got to be good, right? :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
thats one thing that amazes me about shooting competitions. they shoot at flat steel like its no big deal. im constantly getting hit with shrapnel from the other stages. and ive watched on many occassions entire bullets go flying over the berm into the other stages. no to mention how guys taping targets will follow closley behind the shooter while hes still shooting at steel and i can clearly see bullets hitting the dirt right next to them.

my understanding of steel before i went to a USPSA match was never shoot at steel thats perfectly vertical. your suppose to angle it so the rounds hit the dirt below the target. then all bets were off at the USPSA match.

but back on topic i agree good eye protection is a good idea. although i have to admit i havent always used it.

·
None
1,525 Posts
thats one thing that amazes me about shooting competitions. they shoot at flat steel like its no big deal. im constantly getting hit with shrapnel from the other stages. and ive watched on many occassions entire bullets go flying over the berm into the other stages. no to mention how guys taping targets will follow closley behind the shooter while hes still shooting at steel and i can clearly see bullets hitting the dirt right next to them.

my understanding of steel before i went to a USPSA match was never shoot at steel thats perfectly vertical. your suppose to angle it so the rounds hit the dirt below the target. then all bets were off at the USPSA match.

but back on topic i agree good eye protection is a good idea. although i have to admit i havent always used it.
I caught a ricochet to the chest on Sunday from a plate shooter. I'm not sure where he hit with the bullet, but I caught a large piece in the just, and several of those standing next to me caught shrapnel as well. I had one piece of metal imbedded into my shirt, and I can still feel where the shrapnel hit me in the chest.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I caught a ricochet to the chest on Sunday from a plate shooter. I'm not sure where he hit with the bullet, but I caught a large piece in the just, and several of those standing next to me caught shrapnel as well. I had one piece of metal imbedded into my shirt, and I can still feel where the shrapnel hit me in the chest.
and what was the general mood after this happened? "man that sucks.. lets hope that dosent happen again". or did they decide something had to change?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and what was the general mood after this happened? "man that sucks.. lets hope that dosent happen again". or did they decide something had to change?
Once we saw he wasn't bleeding we all laughed. We figured it would be his excuse if he shot poorly the rest of the day.

FYI I think the plate racks we normally shoot at our local club and at GSSF matches do usually have a slight angle on them and I know the bar below them does.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got some Winchester glasses for $10 at the local gun shop.

On the box they say:

"4 times the protection of ANSI Z87.1"

"Passed MIL-PRF-31013 Ballistic resistance test"

"Meets ANSI Z87+ high velocity requirements"

Is this not adequate? What more should I look for? Is there another test that these glasses didn't pass?
Good questions. I don't know the answers.

·
None
1,525 Posts
I've caught lead spray previously, but this was different. I don't think the guys realised how hard I had been hit. It was still noticably stinging more than 20 minutes after getting it, and at the moment of impact I was actually concerned it might have really gotten me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've caught lead spray previously, but this was different. I don't think the guys realised how hard I had been hit. It was still noticably stinging more than 20 minutes after getting it, and at the moment of impact I was actually concerned it might have really gotten me.
yeah if that happened to me id probably stop shooting at steel targets at these said matches and stay far away if anyone else did too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.