Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just detail stripped and cleaned my G27 for the first time last night. I used Q-tips with nearly all of the cotton pulled off of them to get into the extractor depressor plunger channel with some Hoppe's Elite Cleaner. When I pulled the Q-tip out it had a dry looking light-orange color on it. I think it was rust. There was no residue on the extractor depressor plunger itself, or the spring, or the spring loaded bearing.

Thinking back on it, the same thing happened when I detail stripped and cleaned my G23 for the first time and I remember thinking at the time that either it was a fluke or a symptom of that particular gun sitting on a store shelf from 2004 to 2009 when I finally bought it. But I bought my G27 only about 4 months after the test-fire date.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's not the copper colored lubricant that Glock puts on the rails and connector area.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this? It's not the copper colored lubricant that Glock puts on the rails and connector area.
I know you say it's not the copper anti-seize ... but I suspect it really is. Not sure why it would be in the EDP channel but there's not much reason there would be rust in there either. I have detail stripped and cleaned ... let's say a good number ... of GLOCKs and have never seen the first bit of rust anywhere. Now, the one I detail stripped and cleaned for a buddy last night had a good but of what appeared to be cookie crumbs jammed up in it, mostly around the slide plate cover. :cool:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i saw you post this over at GT. glad you posted it over here, as i've had a similar experience lol

when i got a new extractor for my g19, i did notice it was covered with a "rust" colored powder so i wiped it off with breakfree, and noticed this rust colored powder on my cleaning rag as well. wasn't sure what it was, my first impression was rust, but i'm not 100% sure. no "rust" has appeared since or anything. makes me curious though...

probably was just anti seize compound, but i'm not sure what it would be doing on an extractor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad I'm not the only one whose seen it. I scrubbed it as much as I could with Hoppe's Elite Cleaner until the Q-tips came out clean, then put a Q-tip with Ballistol in there and let the Ballistol soak in there for about an hour, then I cleaned it out again with Hoppe's Elite and got a tiny bit more out. Hopefully it wasn't rust, if it was hopefully that got rid of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.