Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that to get the right answer I must first ask the right question. I've tried without success to formulate that right question for a
while now, so instead I will just give you the circumstances and request comment. I know I need professional help (careful Joe...)and will get that
in due time, but until then...

Right hand shooter, left eye dominant.

Isosceles stance *except* my right arm puts the gun in front of my left eye; left arm slightly bent to accommodate.
-have tried several other stances and their variations, this seems to work best and what I naturally do without thought

Near vision out to the radius of my front sight is blurry without reading glasses; vision beyond that is crisp.
- would strongly prefer to learn to shoot with both eyes open; have read that I should close right eye; tried both with similar results.
<insert Jimi Hendrix here: 'scuse me while I close this eye..da da dum, du du DUM!>

I shoot 2-3" groups at 9-15 yards but 2-3" left of bulleye. RSOs, experienced shooters and others tell me that is completely acceptable "combat shooting", which
gives me comfort, but I want to improve. If I could shoot one round to the right of the bullseye I would pee my pants with joy.
-according to the "Pistol Shooting Chart", I have "Too Little Trigger Finger". Exhaustive web searches yield no results for pills or
ointments or exercises to enlargen my trigger finger; I finally concluded it must be my grip. BTW, I shoot the same with the SR22, so I know it's me.

I have tried grip adjustments (rotating my hand this way or that way to change the trigger/distal phalanx interaction (yes I study Colhand's posts)
with no appreciable positive/repeatable effect.

I dry fire the crap out of the gun, concentrating on any front sight movement during the trigger pull and cannot for the life of me see where I am
pulling off target. Maybe some mental state difference between being at home and being at the range? (careful Joe...)
I"d love to have one of those laser bore practice aids, but the piggy bank still says "Nyet!"

Sometimes I feel like I am making progress, other times I'm stumbling and bumbling...

What drills, points of concentration would you recommend? What other comments can you offer? (careful Joe...)

Thanks in advance! I hope I'm not coming off as whining, I'm just near the limit of my competency learning on my own.

PS
I finally take my CCW class a week from today! It will be my first time drawing from a holster with a loaded gun (Blackhawk Serpa, which will be
regulated to range only).

PPS
A few weeks ago leaving the range, picking up my membership card from the counter, the old guy asked:
"How did it go?"
Well, I didn't kill any bullseyes, but I sure scared the crap outta them...
"We offer a special service for folks like you: pre-punched targets you can take home and show off to your friends!"

I think he was joking....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You have taken the first and most important step, acknowledging you need professional help
I sent you a pm

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have taken the first and most important step, acknowledging you need professional help
I sent you a pm
Thanks Joe! I know I can always rely on you to offer helpful advice...

Hair Nose Glasses Smile Lip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I am exactly opposite of you right eye dominant left handed. I shoot pistols left handed rifles and shotguns right handed.

Anyway enough about me my suggestion is kick that rear sight to the right and stay with what's natural for you as that's where your going to go in the heat of the moment.

Stop over thinking and tell yourself I'm going to hit right there and let her rip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am exactly opposite of you right eye dominant left handed. I shoot pistols left handed rifles and shotguns right handed.

Anyway enough about me my suggestion is kick that rear sight to the right and stay with what's natural for you as that's where your going to go in the heat of the moment.

Stop over thinking and tell yourself I'm going to hit right there and let her rip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
"over thinking"...

I do have a propensity for that...

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
Dry fire against a while or solid color wall... See if the sights move when you pull the trigger back...

If they move, try different finger positions and see if you can decrease the movement...

Also try increasing the grip in your weak hand... It will help steady the gun and keep it from moving as much...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Slice, I started shooting with both eyes open about a year ago. It was extremely hard for me,
but has now become almost natural. My accuracy has improved dramatically. (Righthand/right eye dominant, BTW)
You may want to give it another chance.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hey Slice,
I did not read your entire post but I have the same situation... I have known it. Since childhood when my Dad would take me shooting. I have shot and carried lefty for at least 45 years and lever felt ant need to switch and or modify... Plus my Dad was a southpaw and I emulated all had that he had done :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right Hand Shooter, Left Eye Dominant

I was born with this. I am 64 years of age & never changed. I am new to this forum, but not to shooting . In 1981 I won the small bore Hunter Pistol NRA State championship (New Mexico). I was second in the large bore Hunter pistol by one shot. I shoot a rifle left handed and a pistol right handed. I was 13th In the national championship at Raton NRA Whittington center in the early 1970s shooting against the top 500+ shooters in the world. So you can shoot well with what you got. # one have a positive attitude. Take a natural grip lean your head to the right. Use your left eye and leave your left pointer finger off the front of the trigger guard. Practice, practice, and practice some more. Concentrate on the front sight rear sight will be some what out of focus as well as target. An expert may tell you this is wrong, but he may not have the same problem you & I have. A positive attitude and doing the same thing the same way ever time will bring rewards.
GMB

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
I was born with this. I am 64 years of age & never changed. I am new to this forum, but not to shooting . In 1981 I won the small bore Hunter Pistol NRA State championship (New Mexico). I was second in the large bore Hunter pistol by one shot. I shoot a rifle left handed and a pistol right handed. I was 13th In the national championship at Raton NRA Whittington center in the early 1970s shooting against the top 500+ shooters in the world. So you can shoot well with what you got. # one have a positive attitude. Take a natural grip lean your head to the right. Use your left eye and leave your left pointer finger off the front of the trigger guard. Practice, practice, and practice some more. Concentrate on the front sight rear sight will be some what out of focus as well as target. An expert may tell you this is wrong, but he may not have the same problem you & I have. A positive attitude and doing the same thing the same way ever time will bring rewards.
GMB
Great answer!

Welcome to the Glock.pro forums...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Take a natural grip lean your head to the right. Use your left eye and leave your left pointer finger off the front of the trigger guard. Practice, practice, and practice some more. Concentrate on the front sight rear sight will be some what out of focus as well as target. A positive attitude and doing the same thing the same way ever time will bring rewards.GMB
Welcome to the forum GMB! Thanks for the comment; it mirrors what I've read in the "frontsight.com" online tutorials.

Speaking of frontsight, they offer training manuals; I'm interested in the "Dry fire practice drill" manual. Does anyone have experience with their materials? I need to add structure to my practice. My concern of course, is practicing the wrong thing/reinforcing bad habits until I get some one-on-one with an instructor.

Thanks to all for your valuable comments and affirmations!

PS
Until I started shooting beyond just plinking, I did not realize how dependent I am on my left eye. At 56 years old, I'm just finding this out about myself....interesting...

·
Registered
178 Posts
GMB
Thanks!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I started this thread with "if you want the right answer, ask the right question."

I didn't formulate the right question but you guys still gave the right answer...focus on the front sight!...well D'uh...

That hit home during my CC class last weekend. We shot in a different area of the range for our qualification; very close to the berm instead of 100ft away under the bright lights over the benches. The lighting was dim, but it was BEHIND US. When I raised my gun from the ready position that dot on the front sight was as big as a golf ball. I shot so well I nearly soiled my britches....eureka!

Last Thursday night at the range, shooting from the normal position under the normal lighting I did not shoot as well as I did last Sunday, but still much better than I've done previously under the same conditions where glare makes it devilishly difficult to see "equal height, equal light".

I feel a little dimwitted that I didn't put it together; holding the front sight on target while dry firing at home is far and away different than holding it on target under vastly different conditions.

"Terrain dictates"

I shot again today and groups are still left but they are slowly migrating more towards center; incremental improvement. I think I need a more visible front sight...maybe a golf ball. I also think that once I find that magic spot on my finger that pulls the trigger straight back I should have a line tattooed there. Well, maybe...

In the meantime I'm not going to sweat it so much and just have fun shooting.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I started this thread with "if you want the right answer, ask the right question."

I didn't formulate the right question but you guys still gave the right answer...focus on the front sight!...well D'uh...

That hit home during my CC class last weekend. We shot in a different area of the range for our qualification; very close to the berm instead of 100ft away under the bright lights over the benches. The lighting was dim, but it was BEHIND US. When I raised my gun from the ready position that dot on the front sight was as big as a golf ball. I shot so well I nearly soiled my britches....eureka!

Last Thursday night at the range, shooting from the normal position under the normal lighting I did not shoot as well as I did last Sunday, but still much better than I've done previously under the same conditions where glare makes it devilishly difficult to see "equal height, equal light".

I feel a little dimwitted that I didn't put it together; holding the front sight on target while dry firing at home is far and away different than holding it on target under vastly different conditions.

"Terrain dictates"

I shot again today and groups are still left but they are slowly migrating more towards center; incremental improvement. I think I need a more visible front sight...maybe a golf ball. I also think that once I find that magic spot on my finger that pulls the trigger straight back I should have a line tattooed there. Well, maybe...

In the meantime I'm not going to sweat it so much and just have fun shooting.
You're NOT dimwitted nor is your problem a lost cause. I see this in students all the time and actually it is seen more these days in younger folks. It's a by-product of video games where you have both eyes open and are equally using both hands for fine motor skills. Excellent points have been made about front sights and all of them are right on. It seems lots of folks these days have forgotten about that front sight, it wasn't and option it came as a factory standard. Lest we get too departed from the original problem please keep a couple of things in mind when shooting. There are distinct differences between defensive shooting and target shooting. When I have a student that appears caught up in the which eye dominant craze I change the drills they are doing. One of these is off hand shooting, barricade shooting anything that makes them think and concentrate on something else. Guess what normally happens......yep the first problem disappears. This can also be done by loading several different manufacturers of the caliber you are shooting into your magazine. The difference between a +P round and a reload or a cheap commercial round will go further in highlighting true problems. Also making sure you shoot with both eyes open will help greatly.....first by allowing you to maintain good 180 degree vision and second by allowing your brain just to make it's natural selection without you fighting it. If you are choosing to shoot bullseye targets then start paying attention to technique and correct only ONE problem per session to the point it disappears. At the cost of ammunition these days you would surely come out cheaper in getting an hour or two of one on one instruction with an NRA Certified Instructor. He or she can watch your shooting and probably fix it in one session. In defensive shooting I will not allow my students to use a bullseye target, it must be a silhouette. This is more reactive shooting, "point-and-shoot" learning proper grip and staying consistant with that grip each and every time. You will find that your hand eye coordination will greatly improve and so will your confidence. Be SAFE.....Shoot WELL.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Before I talk about myself, I need to brag on the woman a bit. In previous posts I've told about her eye issues, having cornea transplants in both eyes.
She should eventually heal up to have nearly 20/20 vision with contacts, but it is a painfully slow process. Anyway, getting the sight picture has been difficult at best. Just cutting paper at 7 yards has been cause for celebration.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Crimson Trace for her Ruger SR22P. The first time using it at the range she went from 2 hits on target per 3 mags to:
Rectangle Art Flooring Wood Font

Then she asked the target be moved from 7 yards to 10 yards, she turns off the laser and still gets all shots on target. Larger group, but on target.
Best $139 I could have spent.

I am still shooting low and left:
Rectangle Wood Art Indoor games and sports Flooring

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Before I talk about myself, I need to brag on the woman a bit. In previous posts I've told about her eye issues, having cornea transplants in both eyes.
She should eventually heal up to have nearly 20/20 vision with contacts, but it is a painfully slow process. Anyway, getting the sight picture has been difficult at best. Just cutting paper at 7 yards has been cause for celebration.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Crimson Trace for her Ruger SR22P. The first time using it at the range she went from 2 hits on target per 3 mags to:

Then she asked the target be moved from 7 yards to 10 yards, she turns off the laser and still gets all shots on target. Larger group, but on target.
Best $139 I could have spent.

I am still shooting low and left:
THAT is some good shooting. Congratulations.

Chris

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
I think we have enough for a club, with my hand raised up, all you right handed left eye dominant, low left shooters, please raise your hands ...

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
take your stance, focus on the front site with both eyes open & have someone place a penny on-top of the front site.

squeeze (dry fire) the trigger without the penny falling off the front site...might take 5x but may take as many as 50.

this will steady your breathing & your trigger pull... accuracy & precision will follow.

from Max's Samsung G-Note

1 - 20 of 25 Posts