Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On more than one occasion I have typed a lengthy, thoughtful response to a post in the text box at the bottom of the page only to click the Reply th Thread button instead of the Post Quick Reply. As you might know this opens a new text box and you lose everything you just typed. Clicking back page/arrow on my brower doesn't even get it back.

I would call it "accidentally" but I hit that button on purpose. It was the wrong thing to do but I just got confused for a quick second, probably from fatigue due to the lengthy post. :p

Is there any way to reconfigure where they are located or even remove the Reply to Thread button once you start typing in text to the box? Anything to prevent other morons from doing what I have done .... more than once. You'd think I'd learn.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just noticed if you hit the Reply button at the bottom of a post the Reply to Thread button moves to the bottom of the text box. If you hit the Reply to Thread button to start your post the button remains in the same place but the text box appears below it.

Ideally, when you hit ANY button with the word Reply in it the Reply to Thread button would disappear completely and only leave the Post Quick Reply button. This would elminate the problem.

EDIT: I guess just NEVER using the Reply button at the bottom of a post and exclusively using the Reply to Thread button would eliminate the problem too. However, I like it when I can still quickly, easily see all previous posts like I do when I use the Reply button.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I usually pick the "Reply to Thread" button if I want to type a message without quoting and pick "Reply with Quote" link if I want to quote a particular message and reply to it specifically.

If I type a particularly long reply or message, I will sometimes highlight the entire message and copy it to the clipboard buffer. That way if the board goes down or something bad in general happens, I will not lose my post.

Another tip is to use the "Go Advanced" button to show a preview of your message before you submit it. That lets you check that everything looks OK before you submit your message. It also changes the message buttons to "Submit" and "Preview Post". If the message looks good, press "Submit". If you change a few things and want to preview the message again, press "Preview Post".

Maybe that will help...

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Been there done that. I have found it is best to double click the reply to thread. Brings up a different screen with the smilies and such. Makes it much harder to mess up.:p

Reactions: jlw

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do the cut & paste thing too when I think about it. I also do the preview thing if I've done any formatting. These are great suggestions but the buttons are still there to taunt me. :mad:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have probably screwed up more ways than that since I joined this forum in July!
Good thread and informative replys, Thanks Volgrad!

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Been there done that. I have found it is best to double click the reply to thread. Brings up a different screen with the smilies and such. Makes it much harder to mess up.:p
Great suggestion, sfguard!

Double clicking the "Reply to Thread" button throws you directly into the advanced editor. It removes the "Reply to Thread" button just as VolGrad requested.

...and you can still scroll down the list of messages if you want to see them again...

Better?

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Great suggestion, sfguard!

Double clicking the "Reply to Thread" button throws you directly into the advanced editor. It removes the "Reply to Thread" button just as VolGrad requested.

...and you can still scroll down the list of messages if you want to see them again...

Better?
Yeah, when you have all the mad computer skills I have you take all the help you can get somedays. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.