Glock Pro Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, the 'Glocks don't need any oil' myth is alive and well here on Glock.Pro, too! Look, I've been running, working on, and building Glock pistols now for almost 20 years. My EDC is a G21, and it is sitting right here on my desk as I type. For a fact: I have never owned or used a new Glock pistol in my life that did not run better wet than dry. (It has something to do with the polymer frame needing to be repeatedly flexed before it can be relied upon for everyday carry and self-defense use.)

My current count of fired rounds through various Glock pistols easily exceeds 100,000 rounds; and, so far, I've never used a dirty (or dry) Glock that could perform anywhere near as smoothly and controllably as a properly lubricated Glock. It ain't magic, and this internet gun forum myth needs to be put to sleep. Friction is friction, and every Glock pistol has plenty of friction as well as plenty of polymer frame rubbing and binding.

Just because something can be made to work does NOT mean that it should be used that way. Twice now I've had to use my EDC Glock to defend myself. Most of the time I keep the bore scrubbed out and cleaned with Safariland's 'Break-Free' CLP. On a heavy range day (500 + fired rounds) I'll scrub out the bore with Flitz Metal Polish (often before I leave the range); and, believe me, at least 8 drops of some sort of lubricant like: 'Break-Free', Slip 2000's 'EWL 30', or CorrosionX's 'ReelX' is going to be on my Glock!

Additionally, I am careful to clean out the striker channel and components, and the striker safety mechanism at somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 fired rounds. Every year I also replace that all important 'fail-point' on every Glock pistol: the slide lock spring! Whether it needs it or not once a year that all-important slide lock spring gets changed.

The trigger spring, the striker spring, and the recoil spring I am not so fussy about. Sure, I watch them, but they don't get changed so often. (I know how to use Glock's old 'recoil spring strength test'; and, every now and then, I'll give it a try.)

Personally, I don't like Rem Oil. It's way too light and runny for me to use. If I know I am going to have a busy range day I'll use either Slip 2000's 'EWL 30', or Lucas Oil's 'White Lithium Grease'. In well over 100,000 fired rounds I have never had a stoppage with a Glock pistol—not one! (But, then again, I take good care of my magazines too. Wolff Gunsprings all the way!)

Friction is friction, polymer frame vibration and binding apply to ALL Glock pistols. My advice? Do not believe that old myth about Glock pistols not needing any lubrication. Even Glock, GmbH/Inc. recommends a minimum of (what is it now?) EIGHT DROPS OF OIL.

(I use considerably more lubrication than that; and I can shoot my 45 ACP Glock almost as fast as a good pistolero can rapid fire his 9x19mm; which is, as some of you know, not an easy thing to do—accurately!) ;)

Reactions: missionman

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, the 'Glocks don't need any oil' myth is alive and well here on Glock.Pro, too! Look, I've been running, working on, and building Glock pistols now for almost 20 years. My EDC is a G21, and it is sitting right here on my desk as I type. For a fact: I have never owned or used a new Glock pistol in my life that did not run better wet than dry. (It has something to do with the polymer frame needing to be repeatedly flexed before it can be relied upon for everyday carry and self-defense use.)

My current count of fired rounds through various Glock pistols easily exceeds 100,000 rounds; and, so far, I've never used a dirty (or dry) Glock that could perform anywhere near as smoothly and controllably as a properly lubricated Glock. It ain't magic, and this internet gun forum myth needs to be put to sleep. Friction is friction, and every Glock pistol has plenty of friction as well as plenty of polymer frame rubbing and binding.

Just because something can be made to work does NOT mean that it should be used that way. Twice now I've had to use my EDC Glock to defend myself. Most of the time I keep the bore scrubbed out and cleaned with Safariland's 'Break-Free' CLP. On a heavy range day (500 + fired rounds) I'll scrub out the bore with Flitz Metal Polish (often before I leave the range); and, believe me, at least 8 drops of some sort of lubricant like: 'Break-Free', Slip 2000's 'EWL 30', or CorrosionX's 'ReelX' is going to be on my Glock!

Additionally, I am careful to clean out the striker channel and components, and the striker safety mechanism at somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 fired rounds. Every year I also replace that all important 'fail-point' on every Glock pistol: the slide lock spring! Whether it needs it or not once a year that all-important slide lock spring gets changed.

The trigger spring, the striker spring, and the recoil spring I am not so fussy about. Sure, I watch them, but they don't get changed so often. (I know how to use Glock's old 'recoil spring strength test'; and, every now and then, I'll give it a try.)

Personally, I don't like Rem Oil. It's way too light and runny for me to use. If I know I am going to have a busy range day I'll use either Slip 2000's 'EWL 30', or Lucas Oil's 'White Lithium Grease'. In well over 100,000 fired rounds I have never had a stoppage with a Glock pistol—not one! (But, then again, I take good care of my magazines too. Wolff Gunsprings all the way!)

Friction is friction, polymer frame vibration and binding apply to ALL Glock pistols. My advice? Do not believe that old myth about Glock pistols not needing any lubrication. Even Glock, GmbH/Inc. recommends a minimum of (what is it now?) EIGHT DROPS OF OIL.

(I use considerably more lubrication than that; and I can shoot my 45 ACP Glock almost as fast as a good pistolero can rapid fire his 9x19mm; which is, as some of you know, not an easy thing to do—accurately!) ;)
Pistolero knows what hes talking about.
Even my brother, after not lubing his Glock .40 cal for nearly 20 years, he told me hes been wrong all this time and is now lubing critical points in his OEM Glock which improves (not impedes) reliability in any Glock. LUBE IS A MUST. SLIP 2000 EWL MACHINE GUN OIL IS WHAT MY BROTHER IS USING TOO! Great post here from
Pistolero.

·
Super Moderator
3,093 Posts
Pistolero knows what hes talking about.
Even my brother, after not lubing his Glock .40 cal for nearly 20 years, he told me hes been wrong all this time and is now lubing critical points in his OEM Glock which improves (not impedes) reliability in any Glock. LUBE IS A MUST. SLIP 2000 EWL MACHINE GUN OIL IS WHAT MY BROTHER IS USING TOO! Great post here from
Pistolero.
Only one problem. Not one post in this thread said (or even hinted) that Glocks don’t need oil. A made up issue just to post a rant? Sounds like the internet.

So can Glock.pro now claim credit for the start of “just put enough oil on a .45acp and you too can shoot as fast and accurately as a 9mm” myth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Also the shameless plugs for the name brands is a bit over the top.

Use what works best for your situation, (hot/cold environment/dry/wet environment/etc),agree with all pistols need lubrication, disagree with all need to sling it off on my shirt every-time I pull the trigger.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts