Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Reminton Rem oil for general cleaning, lubricating, and protecting the metal parts on my firearms, but I was wondering if it was safe to use on my Glock 22 G 4.
I use it on the metal parts but I'm concerned if a small amount were to contact the polymer frame would it ruin the finish, or cause damage to polymer frame.

It was always my understanding that solvents containing petroleum distillates and plastic don't always go well together so I'm a bit worried about using it on my glock pistol.

Thanks in advance for your time and advise.

·
Super Moderator
3,093 Posts
My experience is Rem Oil is completely safe. To be honest, I wouldn't have considered it a solvent.

Glocks run best with very little oil, only a drop spread thin on the 5 lube points. The only place "cleaner" needs to be used is in the bore. Take the barrel out for that. Never any risk of getting solvent on polymer :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mtstream

I had used a little bit more on the frame and was worried, of course i did use compressed air from my work place to blow the excess out.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
i did use compressed air from my work place to blow the excess out.
I fully strip my weapon, clean with my choice of solvent blow with air, lube with my choice of lubricant, blow with air, and reassemble and blow with air ...

A strong compressor is a good thing for a work bench !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rem oil

I fully strip my weapon, clean with my choice of solvent blow with air, lube with my choice of lubricant, blow with air, and reassemble and blow with air ...

Thanks i did blow everything with compressed air.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks john1373 i did blow everything off with compressed air and a cleaned the parts with a clean rag.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rem Oil is good stuff....should not hurt polymer at all. Solvent in the barrel, and lube at the 5 points is all you need.
That is one of the Glock's selling points....hardly any lube required!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rem Oil is good stuff....should not hurt polymer at all. Solvent in the barrel, and lube at the 5 points is all you need.
That is one of the Glock's selling points....hardly any lube required!!
Thanks will lube the 5 points.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Mel, if you read some of the post on lubrication you will see many recommendations and many reviews good and bad.

Not meaning to open this thread up to that endless debate, but, there are others that I would consider more desirable than Rem Oil.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Mel, if you read some of the post on lubrication you will see many recommendations and many reviews good and bad.

Not meaning to open this thread up to that endless debate, but, there are others that I would consider more desirable than Rem Oil.
Absolutely. Minimum oil I use is CLP for the few striker fired weapons I own. TW25 that comes with Sigs is a bit better but still not the best. The High Definition Grease that comes with the X5 is the best IMO.
Cleaning solvent, I'm old school and use Hoppes #9. Like stated, this ends up in an endless debate about what one prefers for cleaning and lubricating. As long as you're using some type, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lubricant

Absolutely. Minimum oil I use is CLP for the few striker fired weapons I own. TW25 that comes with Sigs is a bit better but still not the best. The High Definition Grease that comes with the X5 is the best IMO.
Cleaning solvent, I'm old school and use Hoppes #9. Like stated, this ends up in an endless debate about what one prefers for cleaning and lubricating. As long as you're using some type, you'll be fine.
I thank you will keep that in mind. I do have CLP and Rem oil and gun butter.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I believe he is referencing the Mobil1 car motor lubricant.

There seems to be a large following for this one, transmission fluid is another one that some swear by.

·
Registered
58 Posts
is rem oil a petroleum distillate?

·
Registered
6,275 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I was hesitant when i first started to clean now i do what you do, i clean with a good solvent i even use Brake kleen to clean the barrel and lube it with rem oil, gun butter and gun grease. I blow everything out with compressed air before lubing the essentials. I clean the pistol once a month but i clean it real good and lube it up so far no problems have about 3000 rounds on my pistols G22 and my CZ SP-01. I have been using my CZ a lot more than my G22 the pistol is all metal except the grips it can handle a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sure looks that way doesnt it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a polymer 80 g19 gen 3 version build with comp springs, oem trigger, ghost 3.5lb bar, vickers tangodown slide release, ghost 3.5lb trigger spring, apex extractor, 47021 ejector and some other upgrades and it was running fine at first, then stuff began getting sticky, spongy trigger, reset issues here n there...
THEN i got some good ole Rem oil and cleaned and lubed it inside and out. it runs even better and the trigger is super light at the wall and break and reset. a MEGA improvement. solved every issue from that moment on. not a hickup at all. Rem oil is cheap and works wonders. its not the gold of oils but its dependable. p80s need lube and glocks dont.
This model PF940Cv1 is its own gun. Remember its NOT ok to assume that all the standard ways of glock care applies to polymer 80 builds. In fact polymer loves lube. glocks dont. glocks have tiny amounts of silver thermal grease in and around the slide slots and thats about it. i had a compact g19 gen 3 and it operated fine with no oil or grease. this polymer 80 performs FAR better with oil. do that to a glock and it may cause anomalies that otherwise wouldnt happen.
So please everyone quit applying glock knowledge to polymer 80 builds. Only so much glock knowledge will apply to p80. yes they use the oem parts but the frame and other areas change with requirements as well. polymer can withstand lots of chemicals. its made out petroleum hydrocarbons or monomers which is what almost all polymer handguns are made from.
usually 3 molecules. so as long as your solvent doesnt strip the molecules of polymer then youre good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts